Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2723 2724 [2725] 2726 2727 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443287 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40860 on: December 15, 2011, 05:29:14 pm »

Ah, so the club is sponsoring the class or something?

Something like that.  There's a bit of an incestuous slurry.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40861 on: December 15, 2011, 05:33:58 pm »

Speaking of jobs, the last couple days have been kinda depressing for me.
Aqizzar, my advice would be to meet people. People are the only thing I have found that could land me a job in this market. It was completely impossible to get one on my merits alone, I had to stick my tail between my legs and find people who knew about openings and convince them to say good things about me.

I always get advice like this, and it could not be more useless.  Network, meet people, make connections.  How, exactly?  Wander the streets until I bump into someone with a job I'd like to have?

It's times like these I really do have to question whether the universe writ large isn't actively fucking with me.
So, you had something good appear on the horizon, which made you look hopeful for the future. Then it turned out to be a false alarm, which depressed you. The way I see it, it's no hand of fate meddling with your life, it's just your body language. Happy people are attractive and so on.

It was more in the way that the day I thought I might be leaving that job, I finally find people there worth talking to.  Then when I don't think I'll be leaving any time soon, they all completely disappear.  It has a lot to do with the way my job works and how randomly people get reassigned, it just got to me for a little while.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #40862 on: December 15, 2011, 05:40:23 pm »

I always get advice like this, and it could not be more useless.  Network, meet people, make connections.  How, exactly?  Wander the streets until I bump into someone with a job I'd like to have?
Pretty much, yeah. Go to where people are, something acceptable to you, I chose poetry readings myself, then talk to people, casually bring up the topic of work. "Oh what do you do? That's interesting, etcetcetc." The trick is to be open for anything. I currently have offers to put in words for me in fields from the Forestry Service, to landscaping, to ball bearing manufacturing. Wherever there are people, there are jobs to be had.

edit: However if you're looking for a job in a specific field, then you might want to try places where people in that field congregate. My friend got a job at a hotel desk by going around the area and staying at hotels and chatting with the owners and employees. He went on vacation, called it a "job hunt," and somehow made it work.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:36:27 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40863 on: December 15, 2011, 05:44:43 pm »

People also have the benefit of often being able to make jobs appear where there were none if they like you enough and have the ability. And most companies are more willing to hire through employee recommendations than through the general job market. It's certainly not easy, but it is effective.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40864 on: December 15, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »

I feel for you. Been there done that.
Remember, though, once you finally change your job, even a crappy one will seem like an improvement.
I miss the simple days when going to work didn't mean having to talk. Talk to people.
Yeah, tell me about it.
On the bright(-ish) side, you do get used to it, after a while. You develop the skills of being able not to give a shit, putting on a mask of feeling fine in spite of whatever is bugging you, and engaging in small talk with strangers. And these are hugely useful skills in social situations, if I can make such a judgement from my inherently subjective point of view.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #40865 on: December 15, 2011, 07:11:51 pm »

Actually, I'm starting to think social skills might be the biggest determiner of success in life. It opens up a lot of opportunities for you, at any rate. So it's nice to know people, or... I guess, use them if we're being honest here, but man is it tiring. The real problem is that I'm so wore out from all the social interaction at work that I have no patience for it in my spare time. So while I'm improving my social skills I can't actually put them to any use.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40866 on: December 15, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »

I have still no job, despite a tarted up resume thanks to my high-powered-business-woman aunt and tips and tricks. 'positions been filled' 'orite you need 5 years experience and a degree in communication to work as a call centre warm caller.'

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40867 on: December 15, 2011, 08:01:04 pm »

I'm running a fever which caused me to keep waking up delirious and panicked so I decided to get up. Now I've a dull ache from head to toe with my guts being especially painful. At least my cold has gone away.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40868 on: December 15, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »

I woke up at 1am to find a spider crawling across my face.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40869 on: December 15, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »

EVERYDAY

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #40870 on: December 15, 2011, 08:13:15 pm »

Maybe it just wanted to hug you?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #40871 on: December 15, 2011, 08:15:29 pm »

I'm just never going to understand how I can feel so lonely yet be surrounded by people that care about and love me.

Why do I feel like I'm completely alone when there's someone willing to listen less than 10 feet away? Consistently?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40872 on: December 15, 2011, 08:28:00 pm »

I'm just never going to understand how I can feel so lonely yet be surrounded by people that care about and love me.

Why do I feel like I'm completely alone when there's someone willing to listen less than 10 feet away? Consistently?
Because you still don't feel you can reach out to them maybe?

Today I have been filled with immense amounts of self loathing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #40873 on: December 15, 2011, 11:08:02 pm »

Tired.  Just had one of those seconds long microsleep dreams, where I thought I had an energy drink in my hand and was debating whether to drink it or not.  Three hours of work left to go, including an hour of overtime, and then I go home to take an online final exam.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #40874 on: December 16, 2011, 12:52:20 am »

RIP: Chistopher Hitchens.
Pages: 1 ... 2723 2724 [2725] 2726 2727 ... 8167