Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2705 2706 [2707] 2708 2709 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439422 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40590 on: December 09, 2011, 09:28:54 pm »

I fully stipulate and admit my job colors my worldview. I also say it is not just the criminal portion of my practice that does so. People will fight over money, a lot. I personally am jaded to such an extent as to invoke wonder that my skin is not green. Thus, please excuse me if nothing you can ever say will likely reduce said jadedness. Honest apologies.
I was asking because I too am rather jaded with the world.
Jaded.

I like the word jaded.

I thought it was, "he who fights monsters should take care not to become one himself," or something roughly along those lines.
Ooo, oooo! I know this one by heart.
"He who fights monsters should take care that he does not become a monster himself. When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you." ~Friedrich Neitzsche.
I used to think it was Freude who said that, I tend to mix those two up a bit.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40591 on: December 09, 2011, 10:17:44 pm »

Stalker is no more :(

WAT. WHAT STALKER ARE YOU REFERRING TO.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40592 on: December 09, 2011, 10:40:11 pm »

Stalker is no more :(

WAT. WHAT STALKER ARE YOU REFERRING TO.
This Stalker.

I'm honestly not that surprised, they fit the profile for a gaming company going bust.

That is to say, a moderately large "indie" team focused on making a large, high quality PC game.

If you want to ensure success, you have to keep a small team, focus on smaller scale games with lower production values.

Also the console market is far more lucrative for bigger titles than the PC market, which is a shame because a lot of the hardcore game lovers are in the PC market.

It would help if the games industry weren't so incredibly irregular in its profits. You get one large boost of money when you release, but that quickly turns into a trickle of money that gradually dries up, and nobody knows how large that boost of cash is going to be.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40593 on: December 09, 2011, 10:44:13 pm »

No STALKER2?

Get out of here!

That sucks.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #40594 on: December 09, 2011, 10:50:08 pm »

Gah, I was planning on finishing SoC during winter break. It's a shame really. I'm suprised they went under with such a large devoted following. Seems like a continuation of the "Simpler is better" trend in gaming nowadays.

Lovely, a this-just-in live broadcast. My friend got pulled over and blew a .03. He's 19. In Virginia.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40595 on: December 09, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »

Lovely, a this-just-in live broadcast. My friend got pulled over and blew a .03. He's 19. In Virginia.

*facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40596 on: December 09, 2011, 10:55:24 pm »

*sobs uncontrollably and breaks down in a corner, assuming a fetal position*
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40597 on: December 09, 2011, 10:55:57 pm »

*sobs uncontrollably and breaks down in a corner, assuming a fetal position*

Feeling melodramatic today?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40598 on: December 09, 2011, 10:59:01 pm »

Not at all. These people were my favorite game makers. No, Toady, I'm not dissing you. This is my favorite TEAM, you are my favorite DESIGNER.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #40599 on: December 09, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo my beloved Stalker  :'( :'( :'(

That's seriously depressing to me.  Stalker was a very rare title that took me completely by surprise by appearing on the market from seemingly out of nowhere and being this amazingly innovative title.  Not only was I incredibly impressed with it initially, but it's one of very very few games which grew on and earned increasing amounts of appreciation from me over time.  The vast majority of games lose their magic the more you play them.  Stalker had me thinking it was a really good game the first time I played it.  After a year of deep exploration, I was convinced it was one of the best games ever made.

Didn't Stalker Fest draw a crowd of like over 100,000 people?  I'm really surprised.  It did have a huge following and some very hardcore supporters.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #40600 on: December 09, 2011, 11:02:11 pm »

The zone will live on in the hearts of it's fans and admirers. If GSC can't continue the series, the fans will.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40601 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »

I'm not somebody easily scared (Sorry Amnesia, but you're not doing it well enough for me right now), but that game got me a few times. Actually got me rather hesitant to take certain routes/methods I would normally take one time or another. Plus, when things got really intense, primal fear essentially kicked in, and made the game equal parts scary and fun.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40602 on: December 09, 2011, 11:19:18 pm »

As for clients, yes, they are nuts. They want everything, now and to pay for none of it, ever.

All clients, everywhere, in every field ever.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #40603 on: December 09, 2011, 11:21:02 pm »

The underground labs were genius.  The very first one with the poltergeists... I've never experienced anything like it.  On my first playthrough, I never realized that the objects flying around were caused by creatures that were killable.  I raced frantically through the whole thing dodging random objects flying at me and wondering what the hell these big electrical clouds were roaming around.  It was just such a unique experience with such an immersive presentation.  It took a long time to get jaded enough to those environments that I didn't feel any real apprehension about going into them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #40604 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:52 pm »

I'm not quite sure how Amnesia doesn't do it for you, hell, Nightmare House 2 (a HL2 mod, it's free) scared the hell out of me when I stumbled upon it. Then again, I used to sit in a corner and cower, watching out of the corner of my eye as my brother played doom when I was little.

But funny enough I loved Stalker. It was amazing in that it was absolutely terrifying, but also in that you knew you couldn't freak out. I knew that there would never be an enemy that I couldn't beat if I just took a deep breath, kept a level head, stopped messing my chair, and got on with the immersion. Great, now you all are making ME miss the company and I haven't even finished SoC yet. Like all good games I felt it getting to the end and couldn't bear to finish it. Morrowind all over again.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"
Pages: 1 ... 2705 2706 [2707] 2708 2709 ... 8167