Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2701 2702 [2703] 2704 2705 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442362 times)

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40530 on: December 08, 2011, 12:13:32 am »

I do have good news. I have a ride home for Christmas.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40531 on: December 08, 2011, 12:41:17 am »

Just drank a whisky shot and a couple of beers, yet I've woken up with all my muscles aching, and a sore throat. Damn I'm getting old
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40532 on: December 08, 2011, 01:38:30 am »

300% recommended dose of whatever this shit is and my head still hurts.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40533 on: December 08, 2011, 01:41:56 am »

... what's "this shit"?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40534 on: December 08, 2011, 01:44:38 am »

Uh. A bottle of white pill type things. For headaches.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40535 on: December 08, 2011, 04:25:46 am »

well, my life in general has started to aim its shitcannon towards me. my dog has cancer, and it looked really good, as though she would make it. but, a week ago she got diarrhea, and she stopped eating. not eating in general, she just eats really little. *sigh* and i didn't sleep well for the last 3 days, lost my appetite, suffer from writer's block and feel generally like shit. Damn it, life! Just because i said i don't wanna be an angsty teenager, but why do you keep forcing me?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40536 on: December 08, 2011, 06:30:28 am »

Despite being indoors my hands and feet are hurting from the cold, typing is pretty difficult, and I've got to have a shower in a minute before I go to bed. Not looking forward to getting out of the shower.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #40537 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:43 am »

It's gorram windy out there.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #40538 on: December 08, 2011, 11:36:36 am »

Whew, exam time is here and due to a perfect shitstorm of stupidity on my part I need to do well on all of them! I decided it would be a great idea to prioritize my studying for the last physics exam which led to me losing about a tenth of the points to a question where I wrote the right answer down right below the answer box yet filled the box in with an answer for a different problem, an eighth of the points to a problem that I saw once in the book and didn't study because we had only given it a passing mention in lecture, and a full seventh of the points to a six step problem where, in the first step, I forgot to divide by two. Not only was I an absolute moron for that exam, but I didn't see the back page to my organic chemistry exam and wound up missing an easy 15% on that. Luckily the 52 I got on it was still a B. Also, the new system the college put in for class registration bugged out on me and wouldn't let me get into the class I wanted (only 1 section with 20 students) because it was programmed poorly. They resolved it the next day, but people who weren't having the same problem that I was filled in the spots an hour after registration opened. Next semester includes genetics, organic chemistry, and the hard semester of calculus based physics.

Lots to be sad/stressed about, but I'm glad I checked out the GD subforum (board?) and found this place to *vent on.

May be a bit late, but my advice for bad news related to school is just to get it over with. If you tell them sooner and seem really beat up about it they'll, in my experience, not kick you when you're down. If you make a habit of it then I really have no advice since my parents get jaded pretty quickly. My brother's dropped out of college ~7 times now. Sure most were community college, but two were culinary schools.

*I use vent because the social stigma against men having emotions leads to any referrence of sorrow/frusturation being converted to anger to maintain my social image. Did I mention I have a social psychology exam too?  :(
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40539 on: December 08, 2011, 11:54:59 am »

My brother's dropped out of college ~7 times now.
Daaaaaaaamn

Yeah my family doesn't have the best educational career either...

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40540 on: December 08, 2011, 12:24:57 pm »

It's gorram windy out there.

I hope your food is not problematic.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #40541 on: December 08, 2011, 12:33:17 pm »

No, it's just Hurricane Bawbag.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #40542 on: December 08, 2011, 12:34:23 pm »

Well the funny thing is my mother has a master's in english and his father had a degree in american history or something. My dad finished undergrad for ecology and I'm currently a bio and psych major in my second year. That's the really sad thing here. He's a great guy, hilarious, can do any accent imaginable and he's athletic, smart, and driven when he wants to be. He's just lazy as hell. The man has more than fifty pounds on me (I'm at ~150lbs) of muscle and works out constantly, yet when we were renovating the house when my parents moved down here I worked ten hours a day while he'd drift off and look at facebook. Hell, once he even "traded jobs" with me while I was staining and he was cleaning since he said the cleaning was driving him mad. Turns out my job of staining railings which I had about 15 minutes left to go was swapped for two hours worth of cleaning.

I'm not raging here, I'm genuinely sad. He got great grades in school until he got involved with drugs, he has years of cooking experience and can make a meal worthy of a five star establishment, but he just can't take stress or orders and thus winds up losing any job he gets. My mother even gave him a job in her business paying 25$ an hour but he simply stopped doing the work after a while since he thought he should get the full 75$ she was paying her clients. Recently he's lost his car to a one of those "get cash now" loan places and it was only narrowly haggled back at the price of the loan by my father who informed the place that it's unsellable since it's been totaled so many times and he's stolen my parent's credit cards and gone out on thousand dollar buying sprees.

The plan was to kick him out of the house at the start of last year if he didn't get a job or go to school, so he signed up to go to community college. On the third day my father drove around in the lots around the school to check for my brother's car. It wasn't there.

He's uninsurable and thus has no car insurance, he'll be too old to be on my parent's health insurance next year, he doesn't pay parking tickets and drives through the smarttag lane at toll booths since the car's in my parent's names, he's now unemployable since he's been convicted for shoplifting and has no references, and he goes into horrible depressions for weeks and even months. He's been to a psychiatrist, or rather a few different ones, to try types of medication that don't work. He has lived on his own for two years when he graduated high school, but when things fell out with his girlfriend he moved back home.

I really want to help him and I really want to believe that he's going to make next semester at school work. He's always been a good older brother despite everything and, other than the stupid "You're breathing too loud purely to annoy me" accusations when we were kids we've never really had fights. I talk to him less now that his sleep schedule's opposite mine and I miss hanging out with him, but I'd gladly never see him again if we could just get him on his feet. I always thought he was going to take over my uncle's law firm and be more successful than I could ever be. Then, after he got through his rough patch, I thought that he'd take over my mom's business and make a good living doing writing that I could never match. Now I'm worried as hell. How do you get someone who won't do work that they're "too good for", hates discipline, and has a (minor) criminal record motivated to do something with their lives? (Might belong in life advice, but I don't really expect an answer)
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #40543 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:03 pm »

Miley fucking Cyrus covered Smells Like Teen Spirit.  FUUU-
I don't even know whether to break down sobbing or rage.  I think I'll do the first thing, then track that cunt down and stab her.

Edit: stab her IN THE EYE

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40544 on: December 08, 2011, 02:03:17 pm »

Well at least the original remains a song you enjoy and needs not be tainted by association with somebody who is apparently also a fan?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2701 2702 [2703] 2704 2705 ... 8167