Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2695 2696 [2697] 2698 2699 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446632 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40440 on: December 05, 2011, 02:26:36 am »

Regardless of the profession, I think its about asking a professional for stuff they do professionally for free.... The graphics designer being asked to design something for free is basically being told their work has no value. I just can't help but imagine that artist is thinking, "$0 that's what you'd pay me for the work you want me to do...?" I could even understand a little of that but people seem to love going wayyyy past the point of it being ridiculous.

I think the thing is, people act like this about things that they think aren't really a big deal.  They ask about things that they don't imagine to take much time or effort, like "Hey off the top of your head, what do you think about this legal situation?" or "Oh you're an artist, cool!  Do like a 5 minute sketch of this cool character I roleplayed!"  Often enough it's true, but it gets ridiculous when everybody does it.  Or they don't realize how much the person could use a tiny bit of money for that small job.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40441 on: December 05, 2011, 03:52:34 am »

Blarg, one of my glands got infected I think and now it's swollen like shit.

Also, I use human as a discriminatory term all the time.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40442 on: December 05, 2011, 04:00:54 am »

"Oh you're an artist, cool!  Do like a 5 minute sketch of this cool character I roleplayed!"

That's how I got my current avatar. My dear friend Jhin was doing drawings of a few friends, so I got her to draw my old RP character 'Lord Reudh'.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #40443 on: December 05, 2011, 04:01:39 am »

Internet was out all weekend. Might still be out, but at least I get an hour here at uni.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40444 on: December 05, 2011, 04:07:01 am »

Yay for uni I guess (unfortunately they have blocked any connection to the steam network  :V)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #40445 on: December 05, 2011, 04:09:32 am »

Aww, poor Darvi. My uni's kind enough to allow it. Huzzah for that, even if this isn't the first time I've gone a weekend without internet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40446 on: December 05, 2011, 04:15:19 am »

I'm more worried about the fact that, on top of my Incurable Cough Of Death, I now have to deal with an aching jaw.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40447 on: December 05, 2011, 03:12:54 pm »

Really bad day. The how doctors die thread is dredging up a bunch of nasty suicidal thoughts. I really hate living in my head.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40448 on: December 05, 2011, 03:22:39 pm »

Really bad day. The how doctors die thread is dredging up a bunch of nasty suicidal thoughts. I really hate living in my head.

How about a hug for the hug god? Maybe a snuggle for the snuggle throne?
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40449 on: December 05, 2011, 03:29:47 pm »

Regardless of the profession, I think its about asking a professional for stuff they do professionally for free.... The graphics designer being asked to design something for free is basically being told their work has no value. I just can't help but imagine that artist is thinking, "$0 that's what you'd pay me for the work you want me to do...?" I could even understand a little of that but people seem to love going wayyyy past the point of it being ridiculous.

I think the thing is, people act like this about things that they think aren't really a big deal.  They ask about things that they don't imagine to take much time or effort, like "Hey off the top of your head, what do you think about this legal situation?" or "Oh you're an artist, cool!  Do like a 5 minute sketch of this cool character I roleplayed!"  Often enough it's true, but it gets ridiculous when everybody does it.  Or they don't realize how much the person could use a tiny bit of money for that small job.

Yup.

A woman asks Picasso to paint her portrait. It takes him 5 minutes and is a masterpiece. 

"5,000 Francs," he says.

"But sir," she says astonished, "it took you but 5 minutes to paint that."

"No madam, "Picasso says, "It took me my whole life."

Picasso is right.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40450 on: December 05, 2011, 03:31:10 pm »

I can't understand what I see as petty squabbles of a married couple over who did what with a toothpaste tube,

It's never about the toothpaste tube, or the toilet seat, or whatever the apparent issue at hand is. It's the accumulated wear and tear that crops up whenever two people spend a lot of time together.

Waitaminute. If Truean were both Psychologist and Attorney, the charges per hour could range up into the thousands of dollars! I'm not okay with that unless I'm involved...so...if you need a midget sidekick to kneecap people, Truean, you just say the word. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40451 on: December 05, 2011, 03:37:33 pm »

I can't understand what I see as petty squabbles of a married couple over who did what with a toothpaste tube,

It's never about the toothpaste tube, or the toilet seat, or whatever the apparent issue at hand is. It's the accumulated wear and tear that crops up whenever two people spend a lot of time together.

Waitaminute. If Truean were both Psychologist and Attorney, the charges per hour could range up into the thousands of dollars! I'm not okay with that unless I'm involved...so...if you need a midget sidekick to kneecap people, Truean, you just say the word. :P

If only someone would pay it :P. One of my undergrad degrees is in psych, strangely enough. The
other economics.

I have a nephew who seems to do that to people, though I expressly tell him not to. The juvenile court judge in his county is beginning to know me. She does not enjoy seeing me.

"O, it's you ... again."
"Yes, me, and how're you Your Honor, if I may ask?"

[shiver] I need to get some sense into that kid before my bag of tricks runs out.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40452 on: December 05, 2011, 03:40:20 pm »

If it helps, I feel your pain about people trying to get into your profession's pants for free. Every time someone sees my company logo, they ask me how to fix their computer. Even if I'm out to dinner with my family, or at school, or what have you. So infuriating sometimes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40453 on: December 05, 2011, 03:44:33 pm »

I'd ask you how to fix my computer, but the only thing connected to it that's HP is my webcam.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40454 on: December 05, 2011, 03:47:15 pm »

If it helps, I feel your pain about people trying to get into your profession's pants for free. Every time someone sees my company logo, they ask me how to fix their computer. Even if I'm out to dinner with my family, or at school, or what have you. So infuriating sometimes.

Yups, I'm not eating. I'm an opportunity for you to  get free shit.... [sigh]

Nutshell. No one wants to pay anyone or anything, your boss paying you, you paying for things. Round and round we go down. :)

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2695 2696 [2697] 2698 2699 ... 8167