Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2686 2687 [2688] 2689 2690 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9436138 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40305 on: November 29, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »

An actual frivolous lawsuit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/jessie-dimmick-is-suing-h_n_1119317.html

The term is thrown around far too much. It's like how every criminal defendant is "innocent." Every person who has ever been sued says the suit against them is "frivolous." It's overplayed, but here, yes, very yes.

Edit: Don't worry, he can't win. Void for illegality, lack of consideration, duress, unforeseeable damages, and who knows what else. :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40306 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54:37 am »

The atmosphere at work is poisonous. The worker morale is down and so is productivity. The big boss came on nights for a week to get a better understanding of what we do. Afterwards he agreed with a number of our complaints and changed things to fix them. Now nearly two weeks later things have changed back at his demand.

On a related note we've all found out how the big boss talks about us behind our backs. We always assumed it would be bad but he really has no care for us at all. This worries me what with the loosening of employment rights that are coming soon here in the UK.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40307 on: November 30, 2011, 03:24:34 am »

Good news everybody! Hospitals (and, I might add, one of the better ones in this country) employ people like me, who can manage to forget that air pressure is a thing even as they employ countermeasures to prevent air pressure from making it impossible to get medication out of a vial. Also, it turns out that if you overpressurize a vial of medicine it can, in fact, explode.

>_____________>

At least cleaning the hood is a thing you have to do regularly anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40308 on: November 30, 2011, 04:31:47 am »

Goddamnit, I can't stop coughing. My dirty home makes me cough and aggravates my allergies. The fresh air from outside is so damn cold that it makes me cough and gives me asthma attacks.

Son of a... I'm trying to be productive and write something here!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40309 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:56 am »

Punching a midget is a good way to vent some steam.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40310 on: November 30, 2011, 05:51:49 am »

Found a backup of pictures of me and my ex. I browsed through them and was pleased to see I felt no pang of missing her. DELETED.

It was annoying though, I thought i'd completely removed her.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40311 on: November 30, 2011, 06:00:36 am »

The atmosphere at work is poisonous. The worker morale is down and so is productivity. The big boss came on nights for a week to get a better understanding of what we do. Afterwards he agreed with a number of our complaints and changed things to fix them. Now nearly two weeks later things have changed back at his demand.

On a related note we've all found out how the big boss talks about us behind our backs. We always assumed it would be bad but he really has no care for us at all. This worries me what with the loosening of employment rights that are coming soon here in the UK.

Employment rights are going to "loosen up" almost everywhere in the coming years. That makes me sad today.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40312 on: November 30, 2011, 07:17:49 am »

First actual salaried job offer to so much as call me back since I graduated college decided to "pursue other candidates".  For a job I was already overqualified for, and willing to work rock-bottom dollar for.  That's a confidence boost if there ever was one.

Welp, back to Monster.

Don't sweat it. I was turned down for a job bagging groceries, shortly after graduating with a Master's degree. This is after two interviews (yes, I had to interview for a goddamn bagboy job...which I didn't get). I was hitting the bottle pretty hard for a month or so after that.  :-\

EDIT: Also, sad after responding to a couple of Life Advice topics. I try to comfort myself in the fact that virtually ALL families are dysfunctional in one way or another, but dammit it seems like I won the dysfunction lottery early in life sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:14:20 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40313 on: November 30, 2011, 10:05:17 am »

Just next to my room, my brother and his girlfriend are fighting (through skype) again, with the accompanying headbangs, frustrated writhing and crying. I'm so sick and tired of this, but there's nothing I can do, since he told us not to interfere, and the last time we interfered (that one time that I posted here that he was making a scene, but I doubt you guys remember), his GF became infuriated behind our backs, calling us idiots, ingrates and other negative stuff for interfering with them, despite all the help they supposedly gave.

We didn't ask for them to gift us with food and other things, but we're thankful for that. But if they're just giving us stuff so that we become indebted to them, then we didn't ask for that.

Even if I post these things here, I doubt anything's going to change, since we owe them lots of cash. And because of that, my brother's GF treats him like trash, calling him and us liars, and a bunch of derogatory remarks. All I wish is that this whole problem stopped, but like I said, that ain't likely to happen.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40314 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:39 am »

First actual salaried job offer to so much as call me back since I graduated college decided to "pursue other candidates".  For a job I was already overqualified for, and willing to work rock-bottom dollar for.  That's a confidence boost if there ever was one.

Welp, back to Monster.

Don't sweat it. I was turned down for a job bagging groceries, shortly after graduating with a Master's degree. This is after two interviews (yes, I had to interview for a goddamn bagboy job...which I didn't get). I was hitting the bottle pretty hard for a month or so after that.  :-\
My brother told me that employers actually seem to dislike hiring overqualified people, I think part of it is that if someone has a Master's degree they know you're going to move on to the next job that comes your way as soon as it comes up.
My brother meanwhile got turned down for a waiting job because he was too experienced, and apparently they wanted someone they could train up so they didn't have to pay them as much. He said that he'd work for frigging minimum wage, but they didn't want to pay him minimum wage for some reason, maybe there was some law against it?

It's crazy, especially with the job market right now.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #40315 on: November 30, 2011, 11:28:41 am »

I just realised how paranoid I am. For example, I often expect that food that mom has made for me is poisoned.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40316 on: November 30, 2011, 11:36:42 am »

I just realised how paranoid I am. For example, I often expect that food that mom has made for me is poisoned.
Are we talking deliberately, or just "really bad cook gonna give me salmonella" poisoning?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40317 on: November 30, 2011, 11:41:15 am »

And is this a serious food avoidance thing or just a nagging feeling in the back of your head that you dismiss because of absurdity? Is this thought just a justification for general unease at the thought of eating this food? There are many angles to take this here.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40318 on: November 30, 2011, 12:36:46 pm »

I used to worry as a child that my mother might be poisoning me. It was after I saw something on TV where a mother poisoned their kid to keep her sick all the time.

I hear that kind of thing is actually disturbingly common.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40319 on: November 30, 2011, 12:37:35 pm »

Dentist today. :(
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 2686 2687 [2688] 2689 2690 ... 8167