Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2676 2677 [2678] 2679 2680 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447104 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40155 on: November 22, 2011, 09:17:45 pm »

I am sad at the popularity of mixing MLP with it's exact polar opposite.
do you dislike MLP, or it's polar opposites?
I believe he dislikes how people always mix videogames that don't make sense in a MLP story (ALL OF THEM).

I don't mix any video games with MLP.

I just drop a force from Warhammer 40k in.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40156 on: November 22, 2011, 09:40:24 pm »

What the hell was I thinking reading some of the Tearjerker pages on TVtropes? I feel bad for characters whose deaths I once celebrated (or was completely indifferent to), not to mention the ones I actually liked.

In related news, fuck you Andrew Hussie.

But seriously I could really go for a hug right about now. If past experience is any indication, my Internet connection will die as I type this post and not return for several hours, leaving me with no choice but to dwell on my emotions for a while. Which is great for personal growth and all, I guess, but I've been trying to force my way through them for a bit too long and kind of need a break. Distractions are nice.

EDIT: Oh my fucking gods, I was almost right. It was only down for about 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:42:04 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40157 on: November 22, 2011, 10:27:59 pm »

I am sad at the popularity of mixing MLP with it's exact polar opposite.
do you dislike MLP, or it's polar opposites?

I like em both.

I just think that, like cupcakes and salt, they shouldn't be mixed. ever.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40158 on: November 22, 2011, 10:30:49 pm »

Yeah I'm not too big a fan of that sort of stuff either.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #40159 on: November 22, 2011, 10:32:10 pm »

I prefer a different kind to that, mostly if it's made with that intention in the first place

Like my avatar, or Franken Fran.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40160 on: November 22, 2011, 10:46:16 pm »

Do you ever get the feeling building a respectable society is like building a sandcastle out of mud?
It seems that damn near every idea or system for managing people that gets proposed here could work if it wasn't screwed up by the people responsible/the end user, but inevitably they will, because people are pretty damn selfish and fickle overall, and it takes immense amounts of motivation to get them to be unselfish.

It seems like individually there are plenty of good people out there. Collectively, people are incredibly immature children, and it gets worse the more people you group together.

I see human nature persistently bringing us all down, and people rallying against it, but when the effort of the moment fades human nature comes back in.

I don't think we can defeat human nature.

Sometimes I wonder if in the distant future we will create artificial life forms that will be free of our faults, although I also wonder if they won't inherit our flaws. "Human" nature, may simply be an inescapable fact of nature.

I'm not sure I'm making much sense.

EDIT: Oh, want to hear something funny? This thought trail was inspired by my country falling apart in Europa Universalis 3... I just wanted to unite Japan, was that too much to ask for?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:49:02 pm by Pnx »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40161 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:40 pm »

No, you make perfect sense. The "perfect" system of govenment is an absolute monarchy, assuming you could find a perfectly wise, just, and decisive monarch. Lacking that, the only thing that you can do is design a system that tries to migitate the effects of individual short-sightedness, inequity, and indecision. That does not make for a very effective government in practice, but sometimes an ineffective government is better than one that is effective in the wrong way.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40162 on: November 22, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »

Skyrim no worky.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #40163 on: November 22, 2011, 11:14:45 pm »

No, you make perfect sense. The "perfect" system of govenment is an absolute monarchy, assuming you could find a perfectly wise, just, and decisive monarch. Lacking that, the only thing that you can do is design a system that tries to migitate the effects of individual short-sightedness, inequity, and indecision. That does not make for a very effective government in practice, but sometimes an ineffective government is better than one that is effective in the wrong way.
Technocracy. Put a computer in charge, and tell it to maximize human rights and overall happiness.

Sure, we'll end up with Skynet, but think of all the short term positives!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #40164 on: November 22, 2011, 11:29:40 pm »

I completely agree with most of that, Pnx.  The only thing I'll disagree with is the claims that human nature is to blame for anything.  I think this kind of terminology gives very much the wrong impression.  As you said yourself, most people are quite decent as individuals.  I think it's better to be clear that our sociological problems are a product of specific psychological processes in group dynamics that tend to produce certain results, which then feed back into other specific psychological processes.  (Will elaborate if requested)  I honestly believe that centralized, hierarchical social structures inevitably bring out the worst in us, while simultaneously providing the most opportunity for small groups of people to screw up life for large groups of people.  The only argument in favor of them that I see as legitimate is the claim that they're necessary for large-scale organization.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #40165 on: November 23, 2011, 12:13:28 am »

But seriously I could really go for a hug right about now
Wish granted.

Code: [Select]
<START>
Goto 'Bauglir'
Input_Hug
Disp 'Sympathy'
<END>
That codeblock should get through the tubes to you shortly, be prepared for your monitor to grow arms.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #40166 on: November 23, 2011, 01:42:04 am »

I completely agree with most of that, Pnx.  The only thing I'll disagree with is the claims that human nature is to blame for anything.  I think this kind of terminology gives very much the wrong impression.  As you said yourself, most people are quite decent as individuals.  I think it's better to be clear that our sociological problems are a product of specific psychological processes in group dynamics that tend to produce certain results, which then feed back into other specific psychological processes.  (Will elaborate if requested)  I honestly believe that centralized, hierarchical social structures inevitably bring out the worst in us, while simultaneously providing the most opportunity for small groups of people to screw up life for large groups of people.  The only argument in favor of them that I see as legitimate is the claim that they're necessary for large-scale organization.
Stupid people aren't the problem, it's when they start working together that it becomes a problem. I think if the average intelligence was 1.00, then group intelligence would be determined by multiplication...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40167 on: November 23, 2011, 01:46:04 am »

But seriously I could really go for a hug right about now
Wish granted.

Code: [Select]
<START>
Goto 'Bauglir'
Input_Hug
Disp 'Sympathy'
<END>
That codeblock should get through the tubes to you shortly, be prepared for your monitor to grow arms.
Well, that was a kind gesture for the first couple of seconds. It turns out this laptop is rather clingy though. Personal space!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40168 on: November 23, 2011, 02:35:11 am »

The Terraria forums. This, in particular.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40169 on: November 23, 2011, 06:31:48 am »

When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you find somebody to carry you.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 2676 2677 [2678] 2679 2680 ... 8167