Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2651 2652 [2653] 2654 2655 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430228 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39780 on: November 13, 2011, 03:12:45 am »

Why am I still awake?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39781 on: November 13, 2011, 03:28:21 am »

Based on your current randomly determined avatar, I'd say it's because you drank too much Faygo. Good luck getting to sleep, though, insomnia sucks.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39782 on: November 13, 2011, 04:19:14 am »

Based on your current randomly determined avatar, I'd say it's because you drank too much Faygo. Good luck getting to sleep, though, insomnia sucks.

... I laughed.

I really, really, really want the semester to be over.  Really.  I'm going to keep complaining about it here, too, because that's the only way I'll have the stones to keep going.  I seriously doubt that my professor will end up grading the late homeworks I turned in, either, even though they went in a full two months before the end of the semester and she said she'd take a look... I mean, I've kind of made my peace with all this junk by now, but it's still hard for me to watch it play out.  Goddamn, how many mistakes... !

I'm kind of lonely, too--it's not you guys, it's that where I'm living in meatspace makes it really, really hard to have friends.  It'd be really good for me to live somewhere else, because I finally have the social skills to do all the necessary things most of the time (occasional problems figuring out when people are trying to hug me notwithstanding).  I can't help fondly thinking about the mugs from which I drank tea, the last time I lived in those dorms, so long ago.  They were smoothly curved and white, and somehow greatly improved every morning.

Dying to read comic books, too, though I am about halfway through Bloodlines, which is a pretty good use of my relaxing time.  I won't be able to seriously read manga or any novels or anything until winter break hits, because I tend to like big chunks of time to read in.  Computer games are much more "segmented," in a certain sense.

Just got to get up early tomorrow and get to work.  Home stretch is coming up.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39783 on: November 13, 2011, 04:21:18 pm »

Miserable, for some reason. Recount of the weekend:

Friday: football game. Fun socializing, miserable night. Hands froze to cymbals: worst pain I've ever felt. Went to a bro's house afterwards, we stayed up and played Skyrim.

Saturday: sat around the whole day, played Skyrim.

Today: started the day with Skyrim, then church, a picnic, and now I'm home. Left my phone at my friend's, which is fine: the only people that are trying to contact me through it are the people I don't want to talk to.

It's horribly lonely, and I hurt both my ankles throwing frisbees at the picnic. Still, I feel like my chief discontent comes from Skyrim withdrawals, which sucks; it shouldn't bother me that much. Of course, it's probably the unbearable loneliness that comes from not being at my friend's house cracking jokes at each other and everything else, and the knowledge that this is the part of the year where I commit academic suicide, throw my grades to the winds, and proceed to not care about life, my friends, or anything else.

TL;DR: Vague unhappiness/loneliness/apathetic misery.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39784 on: November 13, 2011, 05:03:46 pm »

The sad thing about being older is that you can no longer pick up a stack of comic books at a booksale and meet Dragonball or Peanuts for the first time, not having the faintest idea as to what they are, buying them only because you like the pictures (or a novel based on a single sentence, an image, some scent of poetry)... and when you do make such an impulse buy, you'll be thinking: "Is this worth the money?  Will I enjoy it?" and be disappointed if you find anything less than a masterpiece, knowing that there are too many good books out there and too little time, running some sort of optimization schema for another sort of love.

As an adult, you talk with your friends and ask about what's good.  There are no more of these authorless, random gifts, no more opening to whatever might be without thinking of Consequences and Waste.

Perhaps this is possible only due to the protection of our parents, but knowing this, at least I can now think about living differently.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39785 on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:26 pm »

Yeah I hate how much time I waste doing something.  Time is the enemy.  Time is the crime.  Time must be eliminated.

And by that I mean immortality, seriously.  I wouldn't mind that for the first 1,000 years at least and if I didn't like it I could go mad and lose my consciousness or something.  I really don't want to die argh

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39786 on: November 13, 2011, 07:41:13 pm »

And then ToonyMan was the immortality seeking villain.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39787 on: November 13, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

Hey now you don't have to be villainous to try and achieve immortality. It helps though.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #39788 on: November 13, 2011, 08:02:44 pm »

Yeah I hate how much time I waste doing something.  Time is the enemy.  Time is the crime.  Time must be eliminated.

And by that I mean immortality, seriously.  I wouldn't mind that for the first 1,000 years at least and if I didn't like it I could go mad and lose my consciousness or something.  I really don't want to die argh
Toony. I just think that.. Death is what gives us the drive of life. If we had no death, then how can we advance..? So use time, twist it to suit your ends, Stretch it, compact it. I am scared of death, but maybe, as times change.. I will feel differently about death.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39789 on: November 13, 2011, 08:29:33 pm »

There are reasons why my goal in life at the moment is to live forever. This is a higher goal even than heat vision, though I hope to accomplish both in the same way. I figure if you've gotta have goals they might as well be insane.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39790 on: November 13, 2011, 08:31:23 pm »

Also, you haven't failed if you're still alive.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39791 on: November 13, 2011, 08:41:47 pm »

Toony. I just think that.. Death is what gives us the drive of life. If we had no death, then how can we advance..? So use time, twist it to suit your ends, Stretch it, compact it. I am scared of death, but maybe, as times change.. I will feel differently about death.
IF THERE'S NO DEATH I COULD GO ON FOREVER GAHAHAHA

If you think having death gives you motivation you need better motivations.  Like being able to enjoy new things.  There's always new things, always.

Very very long new things...

EDIT:
And then ToonyMan was the immortality seeking villain.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:53:36 pm by ToonyMan »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39792 on: November 14, 2011, 12:37:42 am »

I went to the NaNoWriMo Young Authors website, because I assumed that since im a young writer there would be other writers like me there.

I was terribly, terribly wrong. Its full of either teenage girls creating twilight romance books, or teenage guys creating characters who shoot everything.

My hopes rose when I saw a thread discussing Mary Sues, but everyone in it was just saying that that phrase is stupid.

ALL THE HOPE I HAD IN MY GENERATION HAS BEEN LOST.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39793 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:42 am »

Don't worry BD, you can come roll with the cool kids aka the actual thing. We're so awesome. And stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39794 on: November 14, 2011, 06:26:39 am »

I'm hoping that venting here may help me finally get to sleep, though I'm not sure whether I'm more angry or sad.

Warning:  What follows is a long-winded rant written waaay too late at night.

I know my situation probably isn't as bad it seems to me right now, but...yeah.  I need sleep.

Also, while checking to see if this post would be appropriate for this thread, I saw that one my favorite authors from when I was younger died earlier this year.  This is going to be one of those weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 2651 2652 [2653] 2654 2655 ... 8167