Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2647 2648 [2649] 2650 2651 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9433369 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39720 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:00 am »

I feel like doing nothing but laying in bed today. And maybe screaming obscenities at the sky.

I'm feeling depressed, angry, unmotivated, and altogether acting illogical. Bleh.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #39721 on: November 11, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »

It'll stay Fishface until he does something notable enough to earn him another moniker.

Other than Fishface and Fishhead.

EDIT: Oh, and now his mutual friend has sent me an email about the subject, probably for him.

I hate this.  What don't they understand about "school week, no time?"

Did you tell him that you have a ridiculous work load and would be able to dedicate much time to him? Sometimes one can not rely on subtext.

I understand your date was fun, he probably likes you.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39722 on: November 11, 2011, 01:07:06 pm »

No, I didn't.  Thought he'd understand that implicitly as a graduate of some large amount of math, but since it isn't pure mathematics he might not have had the same violent push that I'm experiencing...

Hmm, good point.  I'll go reply to him in a little bit.  Breakfast first, though.

EDIT: Augh, I replied, but my god I have to learn how to stick a sock in it.  Well, hopefully all will be well... I'm such a weirdo ;_;
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:22:19 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39723 on: November 11, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »

Family that I live with is soooo lame. Apparently none of them have ever heard of Jules Verne, or Terry Pratchet, or George Martin, or Lovecraft, or Lewis mother fucking Carroll! The fuck is wrong with these people?!? Do they read? Do they understand what a novel is? Do they even know what a book is?
Their ignorance to happiness makes me sad.
I can sympathize.  All my parents do for entertainment at the house is watch television and/or sleep on the couch.  My brother just plays inane flash games or [NEWEST FPS HERE].  Or Terraria, so much Terraria.

Any in case, what ends up happening is that I literally have nothing to talk to them about so I barely speak anything but like, mandatory actions with them.

This is how I am with all of my relatives outside of my immediate family except for one uncle.  Their lives are made of religion and sports.  They're all in Wisconsin and we live in Indiana, so I'll listen but can't really relate to whatever local/family gossip.   It can be fun to do stuff with them or occasionally discuss a minor social issue that religion doesn't factor into heavily.  Otherwise, every visit consists of me exchanging pleasantries and then retiring to a corner with a book or some sort of portable device the whole time.  It annoys everyone.  I explain to them that I have nothing to talk to anyone about, and they accuse me of not trying... but I know from experience that trying too hard just leads to generational/cultural conflict.  I'd much rather keep things quiet but friendly.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39724 on: November 11, 2011, 05:09:05 pm »

No, I didn't.  Thought he'd understand that implicitly as a graduate of some large amount of math, but since it isn't pure mathematics he might not have had the same violent push that I'm experiencing...

Hmm, good point.  I'll go reply to him in a little bit.  Breakfast first, though.

EDIT: Augh, I replied, but my god I have to learn how to stick a sock in it.  Well, hopefully all will be well... I'm such a weirdo ;_;
Not being familiar with the expression 'to stick a sock in it' and as a result of that taking it literal, I kind of wondered why you would be less of a weirdo after learning that...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39725 on: November 11, 2011, 05:19:48 pm »

Welcome to a new chapter in the life of Irregular Webcomic! Some years ago, a reader said on the forums that something along the lines of strip #3182 would be the perfect way to end the comic. I thought so too, so I filed it away for future reference. And now I've done it.
And here I thought this was going to be my best day ever. DO NOT WAAAAAAANT!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #39727 on: November 11, 2011, 07:28:24 pm »

I just got my PC back after two weeks. Being unable to diagnose the problem myself a friend of a friend who debugs computers for a living said he'd take a look at it. Unfortunately he fell into the same pitfall as I did when first diagnosing it; It sometimes starts up and sometimes doesn't which can give a false sense of progress. He suggested I swap out the SATA cables for my SSD (C:), I just have, and the problem persists.

Luckily it hasn't cost me anything but he defraged my SSD for some reason. I suspect he hasn't read about them or dealt with them before. It will likely need reformatting.

I still suspect the MB but haven't the tools or spare parts to prove it. It's going to be expensive to replace and it might not fix the problem.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39728 on: November 11, 2011, 08:27:27 pm »

I just find myself reflecting that the world would turn a lot smoother if I wasn't a part of it...

It's been a sucky day for no particular reason, I've just been really over emotional in crazy ways, being up one moment then down the next. I was sick and threw up this morning....

... and I've been having weird cravings and been putting on weight and oh shit when was my last period... I haven't had one yet, EVERYONE PANIC!!!!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39729 on: November 11, 2011, 08:28:23 pm »

Falling asleep for many hours while reading a book and having nightmares about being in Saw was not how I wanted this afternoon to go.  At all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39730 on: November 11, 2011, 08:32:09 pm »

I wish I could say "another day, another five rejected job applications", because then my feelings of hopelessness and willingness to give up on adulthood would be justified.

As is, it's actually the first time in two weeks I've sent out a job application.  My hopes are no higher, and I still have no right to whine.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39731 on: November 11, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »

and I still have no right to whine.

Very heavily disagree.  You had nothing to do with creating the modern environment where you're made to despair over your lack of a job that will demand as much while offering in return as little as it can possibly get away with.  Beating yourself up over the lethargy that is a natural response to the situation is only giving into the pressure of values that are being placed on you by external influences without offering any justification or accepting any criticism.  You have every right to whine.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39732 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:50 pm »

Yeah, no.  I'm gonna stick to rational self-loathing.  Logically speaking, I'm never going to find a job if I don't put some effort into finding one, and I have no one to blame for that but myself.  Ignoring your ever growing sense of total despair is one of those Adult Things you just have to learn how to do.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39733 on: November 11, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »

and I still have no right to whine.

Very heavily disagree.  You had nothing to do with creating the modern environment where you're made to despair over your lack of a job that will demand as much while offering in return as little as it can possibly get away with.  Beating yourself up over the lethargy that is a natural response to the situation is only giving into the pressure of values that are being placed on you by external influences without offering any justification or accepting any criticism.  You have every right to whine.
That's not going to help him find a job, now is it?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39734 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:04 pm »

Nor will self-pity
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 2647 2648 [2649] 2650 2651 ... 8167