Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2644 2645 [2646] 2647 2648 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435127 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39675 on: November 10, 2011, 02:03:46 pm »

The ending sucks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39676 on: November 10, 2011, 02:05:17 pm »

Oh.  Well, that's okay.  As long as it's mostly fun and diverting, I'll try to take a look at it pretty soon.

Actually, I forgot... what I really want to read is Liar's Game.  Hmm, maybe I'll try this weekend.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39677 on: November 10, 2011, 02:06:24 pm »

Liar Game is awesome too.  You're gonna have a fun weekend.  I'd recommend Liar Game over Mirai Nikki.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39678 on: November 10, 2011, 02:38:47 pm »

Is it because you're too awesome? That's my bet.

[blush] aww, thank you.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39679 on: November 10, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »

I have tried finding some bit of information about my biological family online, and so far, I am find pretty much nothing. doesn't help that I really have no idea where to start...

Another thing, old friends on face book making the same mistakes, or just noticing the old friends, gives me chest pains to even see them, reminds me of bad memories. Wish I could talk some sense into some of these 'old friends'.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39680 on: November 10, 2011, 04:06:05 pm »

More anxious than sad? Worried?

Still employed, but looking for a different job for numerous reasons, some of which I've said here. I'm excellent at hiding that I'm becoming all friendly with an HR person at a corporation to get this. He seems to like me and invited me to pop in a resume any time a couple months ago. I know this is "networking," but it's odd. I'm naturally an introvert and only with years and years of practice do I appear outgoing (though hiding everything you are under a cover story probably advances that goal...). 

I'd much rather have my boss wake the hell up to the fact that he's not being paid and it's hurting everyone working for him. It would be better for him (to get paid...). I don't get why he's passively fighting me/purposefully making my job harder (Secretary is still astonished I'm fairly successful on the "suicide runs" he sends me on). I'm making him more than enough to cover my expenses and profit for him. I don't make waves at all and everyone gets along with me/I go out of my way to help people at work. I think he is just honestly broken and sad his son refuses to work with him despite going to law school, and he's taking it out on me.

Despite doing it all the time by personal necessity, I hate lying and being a sly bastard. I really honestly do. I seriously would not have the slightest clue how to "be myself" because I have to hide that from everyone. Sucks.

I have found jobs for other people in the past to minimize the damage from companies I've counseled. Funny how it's difficult doing that for yourself....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:23:59 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39681 on: November 10, 2011, 04:44:01 pm »

Guys, tell me it's okay to be an almost 22-year-old virginal math student who doesn't drink, can't drive, and whose favorite comic books were written for elementary school age kids.  I shouldn't find it disturbing when I discover that all of my high school friends seem to be moving on and finding love, alcohol, sex, makeup, cars, and drugs, but I guess somehow I'm still just a child at heart.

I don't understand what's happened to all of us.  It's only been a couple of years, and yet it seems that they're running after those things, as though everything else going on in their lives weren't enough to deal with and think about.

That's the funny thing... I can't help feeling like I'm the sort of person where "what you see is pretty much what you get."  And I don't have a problem with that, as it is a pretty good way to be, but it's always a shock when I find out this stuff.

Why do they treat me like a little kid, just because I don't have their same taste in activities, and the same understanding of what "adulthood" means?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #39682 on: November 10, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

Eh, most people are far too eager to grow up. Starts young and gets encouraged by their families and society. "Oh, you're not old enough for that yet. This stuff is adult."

Bah. Enjoy being young and enjoying youthful things. All of the stuff our society reserves for Adults is generally overhyped and becomes boring or routine after a bit. Depends on your individual tastes, I suppose, but I see no harm in staying young forever if you can pull it off. Grown ups tend to just get cranky, bitter, and stressed out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39683 on: November 10, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

All right, everything else I was fine with, but why would you not drive? Driving is sometimes the epitome of my day. I can't even speed right now, but gravel-travelling all the way home from college? It's nice.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39684 on: November 10, 2011, 04:49:44 pm »

Breaking off most contact with one of my co-workers.  We knew each other for several years before working here, because he was a classmate and friend of my brother.  He's always been a bit of a jerk at times, but never anything really bad.  More often he was decent, fun to be around, and even did the occasional nice thing out of the blue.  Since we started working here, he's turned more and more sour. 

He's only been here a couple months longer than me (so about 5 years) and at this point, he's nothing but a troll.  The jerk that used to be a minor feature of his personality has completely consumed him.  He seems to do absolutely nothing anymore but instigate drama and irritation within his social groups and drop random passive-aggressive insults.  He's always been the type that couldn't be bothered to take anything in life seriously, and I think that being trapped in this office environment has caused his combination of boredom and existential void to manifest itself in ugly ways.

And I think it's sad and pathetic, but mostly sad.  I know that this environment has amplified negative parts of my personality as well.  I'd like to think that I've put forth more effort to maintain myself than he has, but I can't help self-evaluating the ways that I've changed and wondering how much scorn he really deserves.  I'm just not attached enough to put up with it.  I'm strained enough as it is.  I don't need toxic comments on almost everything I post on Facebook or G+.  So he's blocked on everything now.  Blah.

Also, I'm effectively taking a roughly 7% pay cut this coming year due to inflation and benefits changes, when my salary is already barely above the poverty line.... but the company is still begging me to give to charity events.  It's so insulting.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39685 on: November 10, 2011, 04:57:40 pm »

Yeah... I guess it helps that my parents never told me "no, you're too young" or "no, you're too old."  If they don't like how I act, they tell me so, but they never tied to to my numerical age.  Now I've spent long enough being bitter and stressed out while attempting desperately to mature that I can rather firmly say I'd like to be done with it.  There's no real point.  Might as well just be happy and energetic.

I don't drive because I was in a really, really bad car accident when I was 3 years old or so, and had what amounted to PTSD-ish aftereffects for years and years afterwards (nightmares and panic attacks when I was being taught how to drive), getting worse and worse as I got older and more anxious about other things.  No one told me not to drive, but until very recently I've declared myself a danger to myself and others behind the wheel.  I may learn how eventually, but I'm not ready yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39686 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your style of adulthood is the one I have the most respect for.  "Growing up" and aligning oneself with "real world" expectations (i.e. becoming jaded against new or positive ideas/abandoning youthful interests and replacing genuine lust for life with addictions and consumerism) is all just petty mind games designed to spread shared misery and prop up a shallow sense of self-worth to replace the one that is traded away for modern concepts of "success" as an adult.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39687 on: November 10, 2011, 05:04:11 pm »

Guys, tell me it's okay to be an almost 22-year-old virginal math student who doesn't drink, can't drive, and whose favorite comic books were written for elementary school age kids.  I shouldn't find it disturbing when I discover that all of my high school friends seem to be moving on and finding love, alcohol, sex, makeup, cars, and drugs, but I guess somehow I'm still just a child at heart.
It's okay. Seriously, it is. While I may not agree with everything you think, Vector, you're a pretty cool person and you should keep on being pretty cool.

As for sad.... well, my political orientation is a pretty big thing for my parents - they're highly conservative, which is fine. But I'm not sure if I agree with a lot of how they think, how they define things, and such stuff in general. I've talked with my dad some about it, and he seems to be trying to steer me onto what he thinks is the right path - he wants the best for his son, after all - but.... I just honestly don't know. I was hoping all this crap about what I think, what I want, what I need could wait until after I had a steady job and someplace to live, but circumstances seem to be forcing the issue. I'm being asked to define things I had always thought of as shades of grey, and I don't like it.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39688 on: November 10, 2011, 05:04:18 pm »

University slows things down.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39689 on: November 10, 2011, 05:07:35 pm »

Vector, stay the same way you are right now. Seriously, don't change.

I personally plan on not "growing up" for atleast fifteen years.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 2644 2645 [2646] 2647 2648 ... 8167