Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2554 2555 [2556] 2557 2558 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428777 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #38325 on: October 11, 2011, 04:48:05 pm »

Horrible interface, features that are close enough. Inkscape's alright too. LMMS is an okay music software that's free but man, I really don't like its piano roll.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38326 on: October 11, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »

I really wish I could reach a point in my studies where I recognize myself as skilled, diligent, and smart.

Dunno, man.  I just don't know.  Maybe I'll never be those things, and I'll just have to learn to deal with it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38327 on: October 11, 2011, 05:13:14 pm »

This lecture ia a bit disappointing. They basically repeated what they said last week.
Yes, starting at the university is hard, but we have heard the same information over and over again.
And we know where to ask, if we don't understand something, so could we move on please?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38328 on: October 11, 2011, 05:17:13 pm »

I really wish I could reach a point in my studies where I recognize myself as skilled, diligent, and smart.

Dunno, man.  I just don't know.  Maybe I'll never be those things, and I'll just have to learn to deal with it.

You're going to keep comparing yourself against the ceiling of your own potential, and thus always feel a bit disappointed with your performance... but there comes a point when you've practiced enough that what looks like failing to you looks like incredible success to everyone else. At that point, and on the road to that point, make sure you compare yourself against where you have been, and appreciate the difference.

Relevant?

Keep on struggling toward that success you yearn to feel, as long as it's worth it to you. There's meaning in the pursuit, even if the goal always drags itself further away with every step.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38329 on: October 11, 2011, 05:21:46 pm »

Relevant to the discussion here is a made up quote:
It's important to always recognize one's accomplishment and strengths, while also remembering you will never rise above your innate ability to fuck everything up. So it is we must be ever vigilant, watching ourselves for signs of the slippery slope to failure. ~Adam West
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38330 on: October 11, 2011, 05:24:29 pm »

Trust me, if you ever reach that point, you probably won't even notice as it passes you by.

I mean, you can be all of those things without recognizing yourself as such because there's always the next level, and you're not there yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38331 on: October 11, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »

I can only echo what Bauglir and Solifuge and the rest already said, really. If you keep thinking like that, you will never reach it. Your image of yourself will never be good enough if you can't accept that you are who you are as you are now. I mean, seriously. You're one of the talented, skilled, diligent, smart and intelligent people I've encountered. Not recognising that you are these things is bordering on ridiculous. You don't need to work or study to become more skilled, diligent or smart, you need to work on your self image and your self esteem, because those doesn't really seem to get along well with the reality of things.

It is like beautiful women belittling their own appearance because they have been taught they're not beautiful enough, except intellectually. And really, it's even worse, because you're like the intellectual equivalent of a model.

I'm sorry for the armchair psychology. I hope I did not offend you or cross any boundaries.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38332 on: October 11, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »

I had test problems recently too.

I got a C on an essay test.  That kind of shit doesn't happen to me.  It was about Greece.  Something about how the wars were triumphant and tragic at the same time, and how they held the keys to Greece's decline and legacy.  The teacher said it was about more than regurgitating text information.

She lied.  I gave a super well thought out discussion on how the Peloponnesian Wars showed that Greece was ultimately unable to unify as more than a loose coalition of states and how that left them vulnerable to guys like Xerxes, and all this other stuff.  I got half off because I didn't namedrop people from the text. 

what ev
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38333 on: October 11, 2011, 07:48:48 pm »

I am dead

Three hour lecture has killed my soul

i am nothing
i am nothing
i am nothing

null                                                                             null
                        null

null

null null

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38334 on: October 11, 2011, 08:00:02 pm »

if(ToonyMan==0)
    sleep;
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38335 on: October 11, 2011, 08:00:12 pm »

I got a C on an essay test.  That kind of shit doesn't happen to me.  It was about Greece.  Something about how the wars were triumphant and tragic at the same time, and how they held the keys to Greece's decline and legacy.  The teacher said it was about more than regurgitating text information.

Same here. Even if teachers disagreed with my interpretation, I never made less than a B because of writing quality, effort, ect...

When I got a C in an essay on Greek Mythology I was kind of dumbfounded. I don't even remember their principle objection, but I felt like I got shafted on the grade regardless. I don't turn in thoughtless work.

Likewise, when I got a C on an essay about the Merchant of Venice I was pissed too. Again, I didn't get the grade because of how poorly I wrote, I got the grade because they objected to my interpretation. Basically the thinking goes Shakespeare was centuries ahead of his time in making this social commentary about how jews were treated.

My take was that Shakespeare was just as much a racist as he was making a point about inequality between Jews and Gentiles. The Merchant in MoV is a horrible person, that embodies exactly the kinds of stereotypes that were common about Jews. He's not a sensitive, misunderstood soul, he's an asshole and a miser. While his treatment by "the world" is unfair and extreme, he still is a loathsome caricature that I believe Shakespeare wrote to be unsympathetic, channeling all the racism of his period.

That now, centuries later, people just go "oh it's just a masterful satire" I think is toeing the line of multiculturalism and using Shakespeare as its ancient champion. As though it's impossible for someone to be articulate, thoughtful, wise and still be a racist or hold racist opinions.

And they gave me a C for that. Or more correctly, the TA gave me a C and the teacher refused to even consider disagreeing with them. I'm normally not one to cry foul at a political bent in education, but this was one where I was like "Ok, fine, ignore what I wrote and keep preaching your snuggly little version of Shakespeare."

I think that was the point at which I realized college is not an exercise in free-thinking. If it is, its an exception rather than the rule. College is largely about toeing the line of your education and being able to demonstrate free thinking when asked to.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:56:15 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38336 on: October 11, 2011, 08:05:02 pm »

if(ToonyMan==0)
    sleep;
Yeah it was a Computer Science class too.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38337 on: October 11, 2011, 08:17:12 pm »

Hence the null spam.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38338 on: October 11, 2011, 08:18:13 pm »

Likewise, when I got a C on an essay about the Merchant of Venice I was pissed too. Again, I didn't get the grade because of how poorly I wrote, I got the grade because they objected to my interpretation. Basically the thinking goes Shakespeare was centuries ahead of his time in making this social commentary about how jews were treated.

My take was that Shakespeare was just as much a racist as he was making a point about inequality between Jews and Gentiles. The Merchant in MoV is a horrible person, that embodies exactly the kinds of stereotypes that were common about Jews. He's not a sensitive, misunderstood soul, he's an asshole and a miser. While his treatment by "the world" is unfair and extreme, he still is a loathsome characiture that I believe Shakespeare wrote to be unsympathetic, channeling all the racism of his period.
I thought the exact same thing.  I didn't have the courage to mention it in class though.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38339 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:40 pm »

Happened to me once in High School. I've spent the rest of my life subtly insulting every English teacher I've ever had by writing my essays about ridiculous things*, once you scrape off the dense layers of bullshit I've used to make it sound plausibly relevant to the assignment. Overreaction much? Maybe. Maybe. Still typically worth As and Bs.

I was still only second-best at that sort of thing. A buddy once responded to the question, "What other titles do you think might convey effectively the underlying meaning of this passage than the provided?" with a drawing of a toilet. And its occupant. That was eloquence in its highest form.

*Except for British Literature in High School, that class was great and also the only elective English class I ever took. Woooooooo Paradise Lost. I still wrote ridiculous things, but I cared. There was no bullshit there, as far as I can recall. For once, a good English teacher - that never happened again, let me tell you, especially in college.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2554 2555 [2556] 2557 2558 ... 8167