Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2532 2533 [2534] 2535 2536 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9437227 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #37995 on: October 06, 2011, 08:56:17 pm »

To be fair, some people find looking like an idiot to be incredibly fun, apparently. I don't understand the appeal, but if you look at how much money some people spend doing it, you figure there has to be a reason for it.

Also, I moved into my new apartment. Then, I walked a block to the nearby hospital so that I could access the Internets. Hurrrrrrgh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #37996 on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:56 pm »

Not knowing how to not come off as a Boring Obnoxious Moron over the internet. And partially in real life. Maybe I just need more hobbies :-/

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37997 on: October 06, 2011, 09:11:25 pm »

I will say that your brewing of mead got my attention, and it's a hobby I fully endorse.

Also, when Chuck Norris makes mead, Thor starts to feel inadequate about his booze collection.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37998 on: October 06, 2011, 09:12:54 pm »

To be fair, some people find looking like an idiot to be incredibly fun, apparently. I don't understand the appeal, but if you look at how much money some people spend doing it, you figure there has to be a reason for it.

I'm fine with looking like an idiot, so long as I don't go out of my way to do it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #37999 on: October 06, 2011, 09:17:17 pm »

It's my first time brewing, too. I hear it's a pretty good hobby to get into on account of having some pretty good results afterwards as well as just being able to tell people irl that I can brew my own alcohol :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38000 on: October 06, 2011, 09:17:35 pm »

Feh.  Room's clean and meditatable-innable.  That's a good start.  Now to get with the tea and soba noodles :I  And essay-redaction, because despite my relative lack of work, I can't get away with doing flat-out nothing.

This guy is too busy pretending to be deep and reading tech blogs to actually learn anything >:I  Especially not mathematics!  Oh no!  Because they haven't discovered a way to teach it yet that makes it easy to learn, and it actually involves hard work!  Oh goodness!  And then he asks stupid math questions on Facebook for unknown reasons =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38001 on: October 06, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

It's my first time brewing, too. I hear it's a pretty good hobby to get into on account of having some pretty good results afterwards as well as just being able to tell people irl that I can brew my own alcohol :P
Hey, mead was my first project, too. It took a bit to get fermenting, but once it did it went really well. What kind of yeast are you using? Protip, if you're adding apple flavor for some reason, read the label before doing so. >__>

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38002 on: October 06, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »

I'm actually using super market grade yeast on account of not being able to find any other in the area I live in. Just highly active yeast.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38003 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39:27 pm »

Ah, okay. I hope it works (or already has started to) - mine took a couple of strains before I found something that'd go, but I was lucky enough to have a store that sells supplies nearby.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38004 on: October 06, 2011, 09:47:46 pm »

Yeah, if it doesn't work out I'm just going to find a way to get some good yeast somewhere else. I could probably get it off of the internet. . . . Also, I was going to use some grape-y stuff in my first batch to balance out the acid and give the yeast some nutrients. I can't remember the exact name of mead that also uses fruit though. . Melomel or something like that? Anyways, I'm hoping it will be good.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38005 on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:29 pm »

It wasn't hydromel, was it?  That's the word for mead in French.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38006 on: October 06, 2011, 09:58:34 pm »

No, it definatly started with an m. There's a metric shitton of variations to mead, though. Melomel (?) just happens to be the version with fruit stuff in it. There's others with things like spices and stuff, then different kinds depending on the type of honey that the bee's produce. Because of the varying degrees of flowers and plants bee's take from, no two batches of mead are exactly the same.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38007 on: October 06, 2011, 10:02:06 pm »

Since I started going to college, about three or four times so far, I found myself suddenly short of breath while on campus.  Like one of my inhales will fail to do anything and I'll feel lightheaded for a second.  It's worrying.  I also feel like somebody is stabbing my heart but it's infrequent enough and only happens on campus that I chalk it up as my social stress level being too high as well.  It's bothersome for me to constantly socialize with others.  On some days I find myself speaking to multiple strangers for not too brief periods of time!

I have a pre-lab due for tomorrow but I am unable to understand it.  It's short enough that I should be able to finish it during the twenty minute speech before lab while she explains it, or even while I wait for the sign-in line.  However, this leads to a larger and also much more important subject.

Calculus and Chemistry.  Out of my six classes these ones are hitting me the hardest.  Computer science?  Fine.  Engineering?  Easy-peasy.  FYE?  Unnecessary but easy enough.  Spanish?  Doing pretty swell.  The fact that my two most difficult courses are also the ones I should be doing my best in is worrying.

I know my bounds.  I know that I'm not a good student so I don't give any complaints and do the best I can.  I'll study in the library and spend whole days on campus.

But then again...why?  Why am I even going to college?  Everything there is a challenge to me, why would I want to go out into public and watch myself struggle?

I think it's because I want to challenge myself.  I don't want to be a reclusive hermit who melts away...but then again I kind of do.  I don't want to do this.  I want to do what I enjoy and while I sometimes enjoy my time in class or on campus I can not say it isn't difficult for my body and mind.

There are good moments but I find most of my time to be very...pointless.  Meaningless.  I haven't been given the time to think for seven weeks so when I finally give myself a moment to look at my situation I come to the conclusion that everything I'm doing now is just to fucking put stress and pressure on my mind and body.  Why do I do this?  I don't know.  My conclusions are just best logical guesses with what I have and what I understand and use.

I don't want grades to bother me, but, in Chemistry say I probably have about a C or C-.  Calculus would be a D+ if I'm lucky. (all the rest are either Bs or As)  To enter the School of Engineering I need at least a 2.7GPA which is a B- I think.  Since Chemistry and Calculus are such high credit courses they weigh a lot more too.  I can't just get a D or C.  I need at least a B- and it's fucking difficult.

And I have to pass Calculus I to get into Calculus II, which I need for major.

On the good side though, I've always found myself a slow to learn but easy to understand afterwards.  The main negative to this nice quality though is that professors don't stay on the same material for longer than a class.  I try to study out of class but I'm not getting any nice results at all.  This was the same for shop during high school too.  I always did pretty poorly on the first test but the proceeding tests were very well.  Because either the tests are spread out very far or cover material very quickly I am unable to keep up with my jam packed courses this semester.

My only hope now is not to quit and just do better.  Mas y mas bien.  I don't know.

Certainly, playing a game for hours upon hours on your one free day this week wasn't the brightest move ever Toony.

Help me.  ;_;

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38008 on: October 06, 2011, 10:16:24 pm »

Starting college is a huge shock.  The scale (at least this was an issue for me), pace, pressure, and difficulty are completely incomparable to high school.

But if you if you can just push yourself through the adjusting period, it will get better.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #38009 on: October 07, 2011, 12:52:34 am »

woo late night existential depression woo
Pages: 1 ... 2532 2533 [2534] 2535 2536 ... 8167