Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428994 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #37200 on: September 20, 2011, 02:17:01 pm »

I can see someone misspelling sentient because they almost never use the word. But next?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37201 on: September 20, 2011, 02:22:06 pm »

Speaking of English writings, I've never understood the purpose of a thesis statement in most essays. Isn't that what most of the introductory paragraph is for?

It's pushed heavily in writing classes for two reasons. First, it forces students to get to the goddamn point already, instead of rambling for three pages. Less experienced writers, even those that are genuinely trying, are really bad at that. Second, it ensures that the instructor knows what point the student is trying to make, and can grade the rest of the paper accordingly.

Yes, very yes. It's infuriating to go over 80 pages of poorly organized and written shit. Especially when critical to my case. It takes me more time, which I'm charging for. I actually don't want to be seen as gouging my clients, also, they can't afford it. Being unaffordable, means being, unemployed....

CRAC

Conclusion: Get to the point, cause I'm not no one is sifting through for it.
Rule: The standard by which you got to the point
Analysis: How you applied the facts to the rule to get to the point
Conclusion: the point again, cause I have no damn attention span, also reinforces.

You can throw in "counterpoint" and "counter to counter" after rule and before the second conclusion. Many lawyers I know don't know this and the ones who do are the ones I'm worried about. It doesn't have to always be this exact format but something like that to keep things from being a disorganized mush. Actually they can write in disorganized mush, that means the judge won't read it. I'm all for that as long as it's the other side. In fact opposing counsel can have another drink before trial for all I care if it makes my job easier [it will].
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:28:41 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37202 on: September 20, 2011, 02:25:27 pm »

On the topic of writing in general I wish we'd had more focus on this in school. It wasn't helped in philosophy class either as the teacher told us on day one that so long as it was clear nothing else mattered. Looking back at some of the works we read it seems to be a problem for many philosophers.

...I'm convinced that my generation cannot spell without a spell checker.
We had to peer review papers today in History (which I am taking Freshman history, since...residual weirdness from moving. Half the class thought I was held back until yesterday, too. Great first impressions, right?) and at least two of the papers I looked at had tons of incorrect spellings, from "next" to "sentient".
My spelling is still not up to par but then I had problems learning to read and write :-[.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37203 on: September 20, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »

I learned to spell because I hate spell-checking because computers cannot grasp the true form of my meaning.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37204 on: September 20, 2011, 03:11:07 pm »

I'm pretty decent at writing papers and whatnot, but what gets me is when teachers expect me to hand write stuff. So far I've only been asked to do this for in-class tests and such, but I seriously wonder if they can even read my handwriting.

I've typed everything possible since I've been like, 8 years old. I have a large vocabulary and can type around 65 wpm. I absolutely cannot hand write legibly. Please, please don't ask me to hand write you things. There are testing centers with computers for these things!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37205 on: September 20, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »

I'm pretty decent at writing papers and whatnot, but what gets me is when teachers expect me to hand write stuff. So far I've only been asked to do this for in-class tests and such, but I seriously wonder if they can even read my handwriting.

I've typed everything possible since I've been like, 8 years old. I have a large vocabulary and can type around 65 wpm. I absolutely cannot hand write legibly. Please, please don't ask me to hand write you things. There are testing centers with computers for these things!

I would be the same way, but I spent 3 years earlier on hand writing large assignments, so I can at least write legibly, if slowly.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37206 on: September 20, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »

I've written on paper my whole life.  I can tell crappy pencils and pens to really really good pencils and pens.  Although now I'm getting a lot of assignments I have to e-mail but that hardly matters because as you can see my typing is pretty good too.

When I had to get a cast on my right hand I even practiced my left.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37207 on: September 20, 2011, 04:18:36 pm »

Speaking of English writings, I've never understood the purpose of a thesis statement in most essays. Isn't that what most of the introductory paragraph is for?

It's pushed heavily in writing classes for two reasons. First, it forces students to get to the goddamn point already, instead of rambling for three pages. Less experienced writers, even those that are genuinely trying, are really bad at that. Second, it ensures that the instructor knows what point the student is trying to make, and can grade the rest of the paper accordingly.
Yes, that much makes sense. The context and surrounding structure, however, does not. Here's how we're instructed to write the introductory paragraph:
Intro sentence
Context sentence (very short statement about what the essay is applied to)
'Fluff text' (put something vaguely related to the essay to extend the intro to more than 4 sentences)
Thesis statement
Conclusion to intro

And the thesis is supposed to be an outline of the paragraphs in the paper. It's used two times total: Once in the intro, restated in the conclusion.

...I'm convinced that my generation cannot spell without a spell checker.
It's hard to spell correctly if you never read a book. No-one cares to read anymore, especially this generation at this age. They find video games, movies, and getting high to be infinitely more fun. Reading, for most, is stupid and an unpleasant thing you have to do for class. It's very disappointing. :(

And I have a late book, because I lost my library card, and I'm a slow reader in the first place. 25 cents paid per day is no fun.

In sad, I have to re-learn everything I knew about free-fall. Or, rather, free-float. Perhaps studying four-dimensional physics my sophomore year wasn't so beneficial.

Also, the difference in course work this year is near-overwhelming. In one class, I can do with less than the minimum coursework; in another, the minimum is not, in fact, the minimum. In another class, the teacher grades for comprehension, yet counts off for listing causes that are not strictly events in a list titled 'events causing -', where events were not the primary causations. And, to top it off, I've metaphorically fallen behind so I can grab the tail end and follow along with less effort. Apathy hurts, y'know?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37208 on: September 20, 2011, 04:23:21 pm »

Just tried DnD Online Unlimited.  I couldn't stomach it for more than a single dungeon.  It isn't DnD.  It may have the rules, classes, and other such of DnD, but the roleplaying is not there.  In the first dungeon (it's right after the tutorial dungeon) you wipe out some necromancers in a cave.  So I wonder, where is the option for evil characters to ASSIST the necromancers?  Maybe that option comes up later, or something, I dunno.  From the eye sore of a GUI to the melodramatic voice acting to the awkward action RPG fighting, this game drive me up the wall very fast.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37209 on: September 20, 2011, 04:27:35 pm »

Just tried DnD Online Unlimited.  I couldn't stomach it for more than a single dungeon.  It isn't DnD.  It may have the rules, classes, and other such of DnD, but the roleplaying is not there.  In the first dungeon (it's right after the tutorial dungeon) you wipe out some necromancers in a cave.  So I wonder, where is the option for evil characters to ASSIST the necromancers?  Maybe that option comes up later, or something, I dunno.  From the eye sore of a GUI to the melodramatic voice acting to the awkward action RPG fighting, this game drive me up the wall very fast.
I had the same reaction. I heard it can be enjoyable if you think of it: Not as D&D, but a game set in the D&D world.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37210 on: September 20, 2011, 05:03:21 pm »

Everything WoTC has done in the past few years with the D&D franchise sickens me. I washed my hands of them long ago...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #37211 on: September 20, 2011, 05:07:03 pm »

I left WotC after they screwed over the D20 modern community.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37212 on: September 20, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »

I had the same reaction. I heard it can be enjoyable if you think of it: Not as D&D, but a game set in the D&D world.
Very much true. I am an avid player, but I prefer to think of it as D&D inspired rather than actual D&D.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37213 on: September 20, 2011, 05:17:17 pm »

I learned to spell because I hate spell-checking because computers cannot grasp the true form of my meaning.
Your meaning? English may not be my native language, but that sounds like spell checkers have trouble deciphering you instead of the words you use...

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #37214 on: September 20, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

Saw some sweet arty sketches over in FGaR, and . I'm feeling pretty bummed that the most I can do is stick figure comics. Sigh. Guess it's time to start practicing.
Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 8167