Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2470 2471 [2472] 2473 2474 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429020 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #37065 on: September 17, 2011, 04:19:57 pm »

Have you read the Malleus Maleficarum yet, Vector?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37066 on: September 17, 2011, 04:22:04 pm »

Not yet.  I doubt it could be THAT much worse, though.

On the other hand, I do have a copy of Philosophy in the Boudoir on hand, which I'll get around to reading soon enough.  That's going to be fun, where by fun I mean disgusting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37067 on: September 17, 2011, 04:23:30 pm »

Not yet.  I doubt it could be THAT much worse, though.

On the other hand, I do have a copy of Philosophy in the Boudoir on hand, which I'll get around to reading soon enough.  That's going to be fun, where by fun I mean disgusting.

What about The 120 Days of Sodom/School of Licentiousness? Do you have a copy of that?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37068 on: September 17, 2011, 04:25:54 pm »

Not yet.  Waiting for later.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37069 on: September 17, 2011, 04:27:38 pm »

I'm interested because I'm planning on reading it myself :P
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37070 on: September 17, 2011, 04:29:29 pm »

I have to say, it does feel pretty good that you guys say "yet" :D

Yes, I do plan to read all the things!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37071 on: September 17, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »

I'd be skeptical of the plausibility of such a goal. For most people.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37072 on: September 17, 2011, 05:06:14 pm »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37073 on: September 17, 2011, 05:07:26 pm »

*grumble grumble* damn ninjas....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37074 on: September 17, 2011, 05:16:15 pm »

I've never even heard of Discipline and Punish, which is strange because I'm familiar with the other books in this conversation...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37075 on: September 17, 2011, 06:37:48 pm »

It's Foucault, which means it's more rhetoric/semiotics-side than philosophy/religion side.  It's about the development of the modern prison through the enlightenment period, after the "sovereign's right"-style public executions and tortures before the 1750s (when penal codes were changed in pretty much all western European countries).

It's fascinating, but also quite horrifying.

Current moment of sad: I never feel like I'm learning anything.  My brain somehow manages to know loads of shit (When and where was St. Augustine born?  354 AD, Hippo, North Africa.  Thank you, brain!  I last saw that information two or three months ago!), but I never feel like I do.  Sort of like I'm detached from my memory or something like that.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37076 on: September 17, 2011, 07:04:33 pm »

Or it could be that it wants to know things more substantial than trivia.

Like how to make a mean plate of sushi.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37077 on: September 17, 2011, 07:26:16 pm »

... But it does know how to make sushi =/  I make restaurant-grade tamago-sushi, and I can roll up some good other stuff, too.

I think it wants time for a Dickens marathon, but right now it's kind of forcing me to read books on rhetoric.  Fucking neurochemistry.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37078 on: September 17, 2011, 07:35:53 pm »

Sleeping badly again. Might have to argue again with the idiot who wanted to give me a "prescription" for herbal tea and send me packing.

Or, alternatively, undergo licensure and do my own recipes, which is just a paper and 60€ away, really, and might be easier than to get in another argument. But it's surreal that I have to consider such alternatives because of this damn woman's insistence on being unreasonable.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37079 on: September 17, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »

Got stood up for a date last night. 7PM came and went; double checked directions; double checked emails on laptop; waited. Finally, put on happy face and left him a voicemail, then left. Waited for him to say something, anything. Nothing.... He has gotten the email/voicemail and is ignoring it; I keep trying to figure out why. What did or didn't I do? I had allowed myself to look forward to this second date; the first went so well. My best friend called the next day asking for details. There are no details and I had to say so.... I'm utterly and absolutely incapable of telling her anything but the whole, embarrassing truth, because she knows everything about me. I seem quite incapable of accepting her saying this wasn't my fault.

I keep trying to do good things after work to make up for what I'm quite convinced must be bad things I do. Meh.... I'm going to lay down and watch a movie or something, perhaps curl up with a book.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:56:14 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2470 2471 [2472] 2473 2474 ... 8167