Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2463 2464 [2465] 2466 2467 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435513 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36960 on: September 15, 2011, 04:39:50 pm »

I failed a japanese quiz. presumably because of spelling, because I had no trouble remembering anything... :(

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #36961 on: September 15, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »

I have yet to see any more than 2 CGI only movies that arent childrens movies/comedy only. Beowulf was good. Thats what I want in a CG movie. Except with slightly more story. Why does everybody see CG only movies as only fit for childrens movies? Why?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36962 on: September 15, 2011, 05:58:57 pm »

I have yet to see any more than 2 CGI only movies that arent childrens movies/comedy only. Beowulf was good. Thats what I want in a CG movie. Except with slightly more story. Why does everybody see CG only movies as only fit for childrens movies? Why?

I hate to link tvtropes, but I'm going to anyway.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36963 on: September 15, 2011, 06:06:42 pm »

Am I the only one thinking of a eugenics program?

Of course not.  That's because it IS a eugenics program.  They're all about pushing funding for a cure, whether or not the people in question want to be cured (some do, some don't, but I don't think one should have that sort of thing foisted on them by others).  I wouldn't call it eugenics if it weren't so strongly pushed from outside the community, rather than inside it.  Cancer?  Yeah, it's the inside that got the ball rolling.  Autism?  Definitely external pressure, and that's not just because not everyone in the community can talk.

At the "autism day" events, people related to autistic people are invited to stand; those who have it are not.  There was a terrible video published a little while ago, something like "autism is coming for you, fight for the cure--this is what it looks like!  It's horrible!  Help us get rid of it!" (of course, pretty much all the clips in the video were of happy autistic kids, so it was a moot point).

And finally there's the usual thing where after their videos air, sometimes women watch them and smother their autistic children.

That's fething insane.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36964 on: September 15, 2011, 06:12:35 pm »

We need to take those douchebags down somehow >:(
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36965 on: September 15, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

My brother threw a full-blown temper-tantrum today. He's my fraternal twin.

I'm seventeen.

It just blows my mind for someone my age to act so juvenile, at a computer of all things. I just don't know how he can get so angry at such little things as a computer game or badmouthers or poor players. This isn't the first one he's had, either. Any time I try to tell him to step back or point out the flaws in his rage, he just yells at me to shut up or go away, with those exact words.

I really just wish he'd grow up a little. He doesn't realize that he isn't just hurting himself or the table when he bangs on things and yells. It hurts me, too, and here I am an hour later, posting about it.

I'm not sticking up for him, but hopefully this might help a bit with understanding.

Unfortunately a lot of people, grown adults included, don't get how to manage their feelings in a healthy way. Dealing with frustration and anger is difficult and even I'm not exactly a gold medal winner here by any stretch of the imagination. Currently, I drink too much, but I'm working on that.

Sure, he's blowing up at stupid things like a game or an inanimate object and that's the whole point. He probably can't take out his feelings on things that aren't stupid, like people, or situations, that are majorly pissing him off. No, it isn't the healthiest response but it's better than blowing up at someone right in front of you. Note, I'm not saying this makes sense or that it's right. It doesn't; it isn't. I'm saying it's often what people do: find something else to take their frustration out on.

The whole point of this and the takeaway: he probably has something else bugging him that he can't or doesn't know how to deal with. The only thing you can do is not take it personally, which is easier than it sounds. I'm sorry; I'm afraid that's the best I can offer. I suspect you'll need more than you find from me.

That's... pretty disgusting, the situation yer being confronted with. I don't suppose you can attempt to talk this over with the other members of the committee? Terribly well aware it's probably completely useless, but it's the try that matters, neh? Or at least vote against it, I guess. Probably won't do anything, but hell. Yeh tried. Principles over prudence.

Going to echo Frumple there. Stepping down doesn't help the problem, but rather ignores it. Just stick to your principals and vote as your head and heart dictate.

O, I've brought it up with these wolves. My what deaf ears they have. B.S. explanations including "holistic approach," "well rounded person," and other such undefinable terms in the face of the scholarship trust's clearly defined criteria. She doesn't have the grades, extra circulars or pretty much any of the requirements, and especially so compared to the other kids. It isn't addressed; it's redirected, avoided and the kind of thing I'd hone in on in cross examination.

As for pragmatism, that depends entirely upon what one wishes to practice or accomplish. Here voting 1 against doesn't stack up to 4 votes for. It would be quickly forgotten and lost. If I actually wanted to really have effect, I'd have to blow the lid off this thing a la my usual digging skills, but  a.) I don't have time for that, b.) pain... in... the ... ass, c.) I don't know the "proper" procedure for that and I'm sure there is one, (and if it's suing the trustees then auggh) d.) even if I went out with the news and proof, the other, legit recipients could be collateral damage....

I'm especially concerned about "d." I dunno if I should just cast the worthless vote against, or step down to avoid giving it the appearance of legitimacy, which it does not deserve.

The whole thing is pretty vomit worthy. It deeply sickens me.
I know this was 12 hours ago but I thought it worth mentioning, that even if you can't necessarily stop this happening, there are ways to "get your own back." And hopefully discourage it from happening again.

First up, try not to make too much noise. If experience is anything to go by they will try to kick you out and make your life miserable any way they can if they think you're going to cause trouble/are causing trouble.
Second of all, before you can do anything else, you need to squirrel away whatever evidence you can easily get. Essays and submissions, who voted for what. If you have transcripts of meetings or such those would be brilliant. I can't guarantee it will be of any real use but you might not be able to get it later on. Sometimes these things go missing. Again, I would be careful about this, and try to be subtle.

First up there's journalism. It's probably the easiest way to make an impact, although probably with the least effect. Send off the evidence to a bunch of media outlets with a note attached saying, "Hey, corruption over here!" They might not pick it up if there's more interesting things going on, or because it just doesn't seem trustworthy enough, but you might find they get flooded with bad press and lots of reporters asking irritating questions. I'd wait a while before doing this, maybe a couple of months so they have some time to forget about you, and all eyes won't immediately be drawn towards you.

But before you do that. I'd talk to the police. I'd be willing to bet their hands are tied and there's really not much that can be done. But talk to some people at a police station and try to get in touch with a detective. He or she can probably give you legal advice more solid than I can*. Even if there's nothing they themselves can do (because this is the whitest of white collar crime), they could probably put you in touch with one or two lawyers, and even if they can't I doubt it's that hard to track down a lawyer that can deal with corruption.
You might even try getting in contact with the people and families that are losing out here. Although a good lawyer will try to talk to these people themselves, getting a head start might not hurt. Although I worry they might make a load of noise and get you into trouble.
The way I figure it*, the people who didn't get the scholarship are in a position to sue. I don't know if you'd be able to use whatever you've got as evidence, but at least these people will know for certain the problem is there.
*Note: Strange people on the internet are not good sources of legal advice.[/

One last word of advice.
When a good man goes to hurt someone, he says hardly a word. When a bad man hurts someone, he gloats, brags, threatens, and taunts. Don't do any of those things,

Eh, unfortunately it's stupidly complex and I now understand it but don't care....

a.) I'm just filling in for someone temporarily, so I have no desire to stay.
b.) As a direct result, they can't influence me with anything including "getting rid of me."
c.) It's a scholarship trust. I'll avoid as much legalese as I can. Basically if the Trustees don't exactly follow the terms of the Trust when giving out scholarships, the trust is set up to stop giving scholarships and instead donate the entire res [money making up the trust] to a charity. The idea was that no trustee would be stupid enough to risk that and thus they'd do what the trust said.... The best laid plans of mice and men....
d.) End result, if those terms aren't followed, no more scholarship trust, no more scholarships, some charity gets a massive donation, but the kids get screwed.
e.) Of course, that's only if anyone finds out about it.... Thus, making any kind of noise or bringing it out would actually end the scholarship program and consequentially, make it so no one got scholarships again. <---- bad things.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:20:26 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36966 on: September 15, 2011, 06:20:10 pm »

Huh. Do these trusts get, I'unno, audited or something occasionally? Wouldn't stepping out of line inevitably get caught?

Mostly just curious, as I don't have much experience or knowledge about th'things. They sound like the might be useful for continuing to help people posthumously, but that's about all I know.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36967 on: September 15, 2011, 06:23:23 pm »

We need to take those douchebags down somehow >:(
Sounds like confronting them with the mental dissonance inherent in what they're trying to do is the way to go. Typically is with people who mean well; get them to understand that they aren't accomplishing what they think they are.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36968 on: September 15, 2011, 06:26:02 pm »

I was arguing with middle schoolers at the library today about how anything made my Microsoft is guaranteed to suck. They wouldn't have any of it...brainwashing, I tell you!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36969 on: September 15, 2011, 06:27:43 pm »

I was arguing with middle schoolers at the library today about how anything made my Microsoft is guaranteed to suck. They wouldn't have any of it...brainwashing, I tell you!
What position were you fighting for? If anti-M$ then hooooo buddy, you are dead wrong.

It's every other thing they make that is guaranteed to suck.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36970 on: September 15, 2011, 06:28:56 pm »

Huh. Do these trusts get, I'unno, audited or something occasionally? Wouldn't stepping out of line inevitably get caught?

Mostly just curious, as I don't have much experience or knowledge about th'things. They sound like the might be useful for continuing to help people posthumously, but that's about all I know.

The short, oversimplified example is "yes in this instance," but it depends how carefully they look. Also, think about the remedy if they find something: no more scholarship for the kids. Tell me, can you imagine someone looking extra hard knowing that if they find something it will mean how many kids without scholarships? Disincentive to look and speak up.

Also, this is a very old document written a long, looong time ago by someone with sort of an "our club, our rules" mentality. They really didn't do a whole lot of foreseeing on this, but then again, how far into the future can you really see?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36971 on: September 15, 2011, 06:30:57 pm »

Spoiler: Quote block (click to show/hide)
There is also the possibility that they are doing this sort of thing repeatedly.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36972 on: September 15, 2011, 06:31:53 pm »

What position were you fighting for? If anti-M$ then hooooo buddy, you are dead wrong.

Hmm, that's actually accurate, now that I think about it. (Although I'm not a fan of Windows Seven, much).

But I don't think these kids even know of any Microsoft behind xBox 360 or Windows XP, so it's hard to argue that back too far.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36973 on: September 15, 2011, 06:33:03 pm »

Spoiler: Quote block (click to show/hide)
There is also the possibility that they are doing this sort of thing repeatedly.
Yes, and probably repeatedly ignoring it, because the only remedy destroys the scholarship program.
They're playing a weird game of chicken and sort of daring someone to call them on it and betting no one will, because doing so screws over a ton of deserving students.... The worse part is I don't think the trust could be saved even by Cy Pres

Wow, just think about all the power they have to abuse by being able to determine who gets that.... :(
A lot of things just started making since that didn't before about certain things that have been happening lately....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:37:15 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36974 on: September 15, 2011, 06:34:17 pm »

Agreed, but at least they're not Apple.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 2463 2464 [2465] 2466 2467 ... 8167