Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2460 2461 [2462] 2463 2464 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435341 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36915 on: September 14, 2011, 09:34:03 pm »

Now that I'm home, I'm starting to get a nasty headache on the front of my head, same side. Does anyone here have experience with concussions? I don't want any drain bamage... my drain is too valuable to me.

I've had so many concussions that I think I can plainly tell you, head injury that's not just a bump on the head = GET IT LOOKED AT IMMEDIATELY.

I didn't for one thing, I lost an eye over it.
This. In general, if you pass out, you really need to get it checked out. In many cases, even if you don't.
From the wiki pages:
Headache is the most common MTBI symptom.[19] Other symptoms include dizziness, vomiting, nausea, lack of motor coordination, difficulty balancing,[19] or other problems with movement or sensation. Visual symptoms include light sensitivity,[31] seeing bright lights,[30] blurred vision,[11] and double vision.[32] Tinnitus, or a ringing in the ears, is also commonly reported.
Get it checked out now.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:37:30 pm by alway »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36916 on: September 14, 2011, 09:37:01 pm »

I will go with you! In spirit. It would take rather a while to get there in person. And I am not sure if it would undermine the point for me to actually complain to them, seeing as I am not autistic as far as I know so it's likely to come off as more of the same hypocrisy. Still, emotional support and all that. The thought is there!

It's not something you have an obligation to do something about, but it is great that you are willing to. If the distinction I make in that sentence makes any sense within your own philosophical framework.

EDIT
Yeah, okay, looking at that, Soli, you should go get it checked out. Ignore my anecdote, for that is all it is.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36917 on: September 14, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »

Hehehe, thanks, Bauglir.

I don't want to, but I'm going to because I should--and this isn't right.

There's a "bonding event" on Friday.  I'll be in attendance.  Wish me luck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36918 on: September 14, 2011, 09:47:02 pm »

I don't want to, but I'm going to because I should--and this isn't right.  I don't know what my diagnosis would be now.  Since I'm coming off a 16-hour workday, probably still autistic-side.  Either way, I know better than this.

Recognize that they at least want to do good by it, and are probably pretty well assured that they are doing good. If you feel obligated to talk to them, make sure it doesn't become an adversarial thing. Good luck helping them understand how you see this come Friday, though.

From the wiki pages:
Headache is the most common MTBI symptom.[19] Other symptoms include dizziness, vomiting, nausea, lack of motor coordination, difficulty balancing,[19] or other problems with movement or sensation. Visual symptoms include light sensitivity,[31] seeing bright lights,[30] blurred vision,[11] and double vision.[32] Tinnitus, or a ringing in the ears, is also commonly reported.
Get it checked out now.

I'm not tired, didn't pass out (it was more like a moment of surprise, but felt like half a second of blacking out), and what headache I have isn't very severe. I was dizzy for a few moments after, but had no visual effects or nausea at all. I get tension headaches that are worse than this; the pain, though localized, is very faint.

I really would love to be able to get it checked out, but I lack the funds myself, and what medical coverage I get from my step-dad is very limited... enough that I'm not sure there's even enough to cover a visit, let alone any procedures.
God bless the American Medical System. *salutes*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36919 on: September 14, 2011, 09:51:30 pm »

I feel obligated to talk to them because that group (Autism Speaks) considers the autistic community to not actually include the autistic people themselves.

I dunno.  I'm wondering if I'm not too upset to do anything.  I'm so tired of this.  I'm tired of the awareness that amplifies the disorder and erases the presence of the human beings involved.  Why don't people know any autistic people if it's so widespread?  I know loads!  More than I need!  And it seems that other people don't notice them existing thanks to society's erasure and shaming.

I don't know.

This is stupid.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36920 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:40 pm »

They don't know any, because you are clearly squirreling away all the Autists for yourself. You have to share!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36921 on: September 14, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »

A scholarship committee I'm helping with is awarding competitive money to a completely unqualified student. I'm sure it's due to who her mom is.... I'm only on this shit as a favor because a friend stepped out and they needed a replacement.

Her essay isn't coherent, much less competitive. Three words, "Incoherent... Sound...Bites." She has no extra circular activities, average grades, only form letter recommendations (a la copied off en mass), and really doesn't stand out too much. This is especially true compared to other students. Moreover, she's far too sure she's going to win in advance, it makes me wonder if she knows. She's always treated this as a foregone conclusion.

I'd be outvoted, so I'm afraid she's right no matter what I do.... I'm considering withdrawing, because I'm not amused to be a warm body for this front and will frankly remember it. Clearly the answer to everyone's student loan debt is to have parents who are both rich and influential....  ::) [sigh]

I know I'm overly cynical, but yeah.... Not that I had a lot of faith in people to begin with....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:42:03 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36922 on: September 14, 2011, 10:46:44 pm »

That's... pretty disgusting, the situation yer being confronted with. I don't suppose you can attempt to talk this over with the other members of the committee? Terribly well aware it's probably completely useless, but it's the try that matters, neh? Or at least vote against it, I guess. Probably won't do anything, but hell. Yeh tried. Principles over prudence.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36923 on: September 14, 2011, 10:51:41 pm »

Going to echo Frumple there. Stepping down doesn't help the problem, but rather ignores it. Just stick to your principals and vote as your head and heart dictate.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36924 on: September 14, 2011, 10:57:05 pm »

DEBATE. Screw debate.

I wasted six hours of my life doing something I understand nothing about. Developing bonds with people I will never care for. Learning skills that will never help me.

Debate is just a simple game. That's all. It's an exercise in total futility. No matter how good you are, even if you can convince every judge that you're right, you're not fighting for something you care about. It doesn't matter what the topic is. It doesn't matter what is right, or what actually is good. All that matters is that you win. And nothing will ever change.

The schedule displacement from this will be an absolute horror as well. Evidenced by the fact that I'm typing now, more that two hours after I went to sleep last night. My body cannot handle these kinds of things. I don't know why it's like that, it just is. The rest of the week will be poor.

Oh, and I have a minimum of three more of these to attend. Only they'll be on the weekends, an average of fourteen hours total per, and more serious. :(

Note: My original draft of this post contained an increased level of cursing and other foul language usages. If this revision offends anyone, I can change it back.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36925 on: September 14, 2011, 11:14:23 pm »

That's... pretty disgusting, the situation yer being confronted with. I don't suppose you can attempt to talk this over with the other members of the committee? Terribly well aware it's probably completely useless, but it's the try that matters, neh? Or at least vote against it, I guess. Probably won't do anything, but hell. Yeh tried. Principles over prudence.

Going to echo Frumple there. Stepping down doesn't help the problem, but rather ignores it. Just stick to your principals and vote as your head and heart dictate.

O, I've brought it up with these wolves. My what deaf ears they have. B.S. explanations including "holistic approach," "well rounded person," and other such undefinable terms in the face of the scholarship trust's clearly defined criteria. She doesn't have the grades, extra circulars or pretty much any of the requirements, and especially so compared to the other kids. It isn't addressed; it's redirected, avoided and the kind of thing I'd hone in on in cross examination.

As for pragmatism, that depends entirely upon what one wishes to practice or accomplish. Here voting 1 against doesn't stack up to 4 votes for. It would be quickly forgotten and lost. If I actually wanted to really have effect, I'd have to blow the lid off this thing a la my usual digging skills, but  a.) I don't have time for that, b.) pain... in... the ... ass, c.) I don't know the "proper" procedure for that and I'm sure there is one, (and if it's suing the trustees then auggh) d.) even if I went out with the news and proof, the other, legit recipients could be collateral damage....

I'm especially concerned about "d." I dunno if I should just cast the worthless vote against, or step down to avoid giving it the appearance of legitimacy, which it does not deserve.

The whole thing is pretty vomit worthy. It deeply sickens me.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:35:19 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36926 on: September 14, 2011, 11:45:40 pm »

I keep getting bloody noses in the shower. They're very difficult to stop without some sort of tissue or something to stuff up your nose and absorb the blood.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36927 on: September 14, 2011, 11:48:20 pm »

I keep getting bloody noses in the shower.
Hmmm... My sister used to always get those. Do you think it may be the steam from the water?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #36928 on: September 14, 2011, 11:49:27 pm »

I keep getting bloody noses in the shower. They're very difficult to stop without some sort of tissue or something to stuff up your nose and absorb the blood.
Pressure works a lot better. Just press on your nose on the side of the bleeding near the top and it should stop fairly quickly.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36929 on: September 14, 2011, 11:53:14 pm »

Exam in an hour. Blaaaargh :V
Pages: 1 ... 2460 2461 [2462] 2463 2464 ... 8167