Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2423 2424 [2425] 2426 2427 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453674 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36360 on: September 04, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »

This is true, I mostly just meant that your criticisms seemed to have nothing to do with how awesome he was for the time, and more to do with how that tends to result in his actual flaws being kind of swept under the rug and ignored. So if somebody brought up some other thinkers and pointed out that Aristotle was ahead of his time or something, it wouldn't address anything relevant (regardless of its truth value).

EDIT: And somebody always does that.
Paramenides, Socrates, Plato all pre-date Aristotle and are better, just to name a few off the top of my head. Not much survives of Paramenides writings, though Plato held him in very high regard.

Aristotle is the L Ron Hubbard of greek philosophers, prolific, and borrowed ideas from everywhere.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36361 on: September 04, 2011, 02:00:23 pm »

Investigating an increasingly common occurrence of my optical mouse drifting around reveals that my desk is too shiny. It's a wooden desk, the area around the mouse has just been polished to a shine by years of my wrist sliding around on it.
 I... might be on the computer too much.
I have to regularly clean my mouse because the place where my fingers rest starts to build up some brown gunk.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36362 on: September 04, 2011, 03:04:39 pm »

I feel like I should have something to say about Aristotle, but I'm not familiar with him.  I capped off a degree in thought with a course on Plato and Socrates, and if there's one thing I learned, the Greek philosophers (ancient philosophers of all stripes I suppose) are good reads for the comparisons you can make to the more modern philosophers who were informed by them, and see how the questions of the human condition in the ancient world are basically the same as they are now, even if they had fewer things to wonder about.  But while I feel like my education may have been squandered, realizing that I'm not really equipped to discuss the big Greeks (basically, I have a degree in knowing what books to go to for answers), I don't have a problem with that.

Screw those guys, they were weird and boring and spent way too much time crafting what they thought were clever misdirections toward an answer, without ever really getting to their answers.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36363 on: September 04, 2011, 05:19:47 pm »

Yup, that'd be why I'm reading Aristotle right now--it's the very beginning of rhetoric as a field in the Western tradition.  I'm going to give The Republic and Symposium a whirl within the next couple of weeks, but I have some other things on law to get comfortable with first before I can give them reasonable consideration.

On the other hand, I'm becoming equipped with the tools for a very, very different reading of Death Note, which I am quite anticipating.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36364 on: September 04, 2011, 05:51:24 pm »

Looking forward to my eternal rest.
Only 60+ years to go. Less when euthanasia gets legalized. And even less when... well, I don't have the balls for that...

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36365 on: September 04, 2011, 06:14:53 pm »

I saw my roomate's stuff

He's a Mac user T-T

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36366 on: September 04, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »

Ugh.. Flashbacks..
Feel sick
*Hugs*

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36367 on: September 04, 2011, 07:04:30 pm »

I saw my roomate's stuff

He's a Mac user T-T
If you do any software or modding, force him to do cross-compatibility checks for you. Gotta be good for something.

And keep talking about cool software that runs on everything except Mac: "But if you had anything except a Mac, you could run XXXX".

Also grab the hacked Mac-OS which runs on regular single-core PCs! And build your own 'Mac' for $300! Or just dual-boot, show him yourself using Mac, then reboot into a proper OS and load up some killer game which is non-Mac only.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:09:26 pm by Reelyanoob »

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36368 on: September 04, 2011, 07:43:29 pm »

I saw my roomate's stuff

He's a Mac user T-T
If you do any software or modding, force him to do cross-compatibility checks for you. Gotta be good for something.

And keep talking about cool software that runs on everything except Mac: "But if you had anything except a Mac, you could run XXXX".

Also grab the hacked Mac-OS which runs on regular single-core PCs! And build your own 'Mac' for $300! Or just dual-boot, show him yourself using Mac, then reboot into a proper OS and load up some killer game which is non-Mac only.

Or, y'know, don't be a huge jackass about it. There's really no need to hold his eyes open and shove them into the light, he'll see it if he wants to.

My sad: the more I learn, the more stuff I realize I don't know. There's been more books written than will ever be read. There's too much for me to keep up with, and the amount of stuff I don't know is expanding every second as new stuff is discovered and I don't know about it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36369 on: September 04, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »

Investigating an increasingly common occurrence of my optical mouse drifting around reveals that my desk is too shiny. It's a wooden desk, the area around the mouse has just been polished to a shine by years of my wrist sliding around on it.

Our computer desk at home has a depression in it where your arm rests when using the mouse. Merely being polished is nothing. :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36370 on: September 04, 2011, 07:49:37 pm »

Perishing on cross of legal studies textbook and assignment to summarize 100 pages of reading into 100 words.

Fuck my life?  Yes, please.

Actually, the real problem here is that I seem to be mildly anemic and haven't been taking my fish pills.  Rather than gross mental destabilization, though, I just can't think quite straight.  Or cleverly, at all.

*sigh*

So of course, I didn't notice it until now, I'm lonely, and I seem to have (two years after first meeting) flung myself back into the early stages of love and affection for an unattainable person.  Of course, this means that it's hard to stop thinking about it, which is distracting, particularly when I've only been awake some eight hours and am having a devil of a time trying to stay awake despite it.

Fuck it!

I'm in love!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #36371 on: September 04, 2011, 07:55:52 pm »

the more I learn, the more stuff I realize I don't know

In my experience, the point where you realize the huge ammounts of stuff you don't know about something is the point where you actually begin to know about that something...
I'm lonely, and I seem to have (two years after first meeting) flung myself back into the early stages of love and affection for an unattainable person
I sympathize, I've been grumbling all the weekend about my rather poor social and love life.

Thing is, I'd not care nearly that much if I wasn't in a stressful situation.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36372 on: September 04, 2011, 07:58:44 pm »

Our computer desk at home has a depression in it where your arm rests when using the mouse. Merely being polished is nothing. :P
Over the course of three years. And it's pretty heavy dense wood that was bare and pretty rough in the beginning.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36373 on: September 04, 2011, 08:34:34 pm »

Hmm, I need to distract myself from my own hopeless and undesired (on my part, I mean) romantic aspirations. Any suggestions for movies I might go rent?

We already have a thread for good movies, I'm dumb. Forget that request!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:47:10 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #36374 on: September 04, 2011, 11:40:24 pm »

Hmm, I need to distract myself from my own hopeless and undesired (on my part, I mean) romantic aspirations.

Undesired? The sad truth is that you seek a commodity sold only on the streets... Or rather some personal handy-work.  :-[
Pages: 1 ... 2423 2424 [2425] 2426 2427 ... 8167