Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2420 2421 [2422] 2423 2424 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453022 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36315 on: September 03, 2011, 08:35:06 pm »

I find that kind of offensive Max, because it seems like you are suggesting to just gas the man. The same way that Nazi Germany gassed several thousands. Even if its a joke..

I just find what you just said to be in really bad taste.

Anyone that has been on the Internet for more than ten minutes shall likely agree that mentioning your offense has a 0.01% chance of generating an apology and a 100.194% chance of generating a flame war that lasts three pages.

Of course, my mentioning that your mentioning won’t help won’t help either. My tonight construction sentence bad.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36316 on: September 03, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »

Anyone that has been on the Internet for more than ten minutes shall likely agree that mentioning your offense has a 0.01% chance of generating an apology and a 100.194% chance of generating a flame war that lasts three pages.

Of course, my mentioning that your mentioning won’t help won’t help either. My tonight construction sentence bad.
Anybody who has been on b12 for ten minutes knows that were more about humanity than internet flame wars. Humanity and pretentiousness.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36317 on: September 03, 2011, 08:50:03 pm »

Anybody who has been on b12 for ten minutes knows that were more about humanity than internet flame wars. Humanity and pretentiousness.
I always thought that we were more for Internet flame wars about humanity—humanity and pretentiousness.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled Sad Thread programming...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36318 on: September 03, 2011, 08:53:51 pm »

Anyone who's known MaximumZero for ten minutes would know that he argues from a position of good faith, intended no harm, and will be able to take the criticism with both maturity and dignity.

Seriously, guys.  Let's all be above this sort of sophomoric cow.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36319 on: September 03, 2011, 08:56:31 pm »

Recovered from this hangover....

-snip-

I am really sorry you're being put in this position... and that this is far from the only time your firm has been giving you this crap either! I only speak for myself, but I don't know that I could do what you're doing, so your tenacity is admirable. At least putting up with the firm's crap for as long as you have looks good on a resume... so keep that in mind as you work through this, and start looking toward your future.

If I may ask, is law your true passion, or are there other fields or subjects you're trained/interested in? You might consider this an opportunity to branch out, be that toward different ways of using your current training, or pursuing something else that's more in line with what you'd like to be doing in the long-term.

Good luck, and I wish you strength in getting through this.
Thank you Solifuge, that was rather nice of you actually. I like law, but the market is unprecedentedly terrible, as is work. As for branching out, I've done a fair deal of things before and perhaps I should again, or maybe I could find some kind of a life. Who knows. I would like to practice long term and might but will not be dealing with this particular type of specialty crime again, even if it means being off appointment lists. There are firms that do nothing but defend this type of crime that should've been appointed; I don't work for one. My new resume' will not be going to one.
Aside from its heinous nature, it really really helps to specialize in this particular area when you're doing this sort of thing.

In my university, there was a branchout in law studies in which students could choose to go for the "civil" route, and the "penal" route (the latter was regarded as having easier subjects). Of course, this did not prevent them from going into a practice opposite of their branch choice afterwards.... an ex (sort of) of mine went for the penal path (because of the aforementioned theoretical ease), and now she has her own buffette and does pretty much anything, for what I've seen from her webpage.
It... doesn't exactly work that way here, at least not where I am. I was intentionally vague, but I meant specialize in defending this particular crime.
Hopefully you can get him to go for a plea bargain and be done with the whole damned thing relatively quickly.
He attacked and injured his last lawyer just for suggesting a plea deal.

Good luck on that one.

Welp, looks like it's time to brush up on reading comprehension. Perhaps you should just forcibly march entice the guy with a cattle prod into a shower cell and turn on the gas?
I admit, what he's done is despicable and I have a hard time looking at him after the photos. Death penalty isn't on the table though and I'm glad for that. Never wanted to do this; never doing it again.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36320 on: September 03, 2011, 09:04:08 pm »

Anyone who's known MaximumZero for ten minutes would know that he argues from a position of good faith, intended no harm, and will be able to take the criticism with both maturity and dignity.

Seriously, guys.  Let's all be above this sort of sophomoric cow.

Did you just call me a sophomoric cow? INSULT AND OUTRAGE, I SAY.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36321 on: September 03, 2011, 09:07:12 pm »

No, the implication is that you should be riding a sophomoric cow, presumably because the shallow ones have a lower center of gravity and are therefore more stable.

EDIT: Which makes it more like horseback riding.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:09:00 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36322 on: September 03, 2011, 09:08:51 pm »

No, the implication is that you should be riding a sophomoric cow, presumably because the shallow ones have a lower center of gravity and are therefore more stable.

DING DING DING

Hole in golden star!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36323 on: September 03, 2011, 09:09:57 pm »

It's not as nice as a golden star that isn't shot full of holes, but it is still very nice.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36324 on: September 03, 2011, 09:11:01 pm »

Hey, gold is gold, buddy. And stars are stars. To the celestial pawn shop!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36325 on: September 03, 2011, 09:11:10 pm »

She said “this sophomoric cow”. I’m still the cow!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36326 on: September 03, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »

No, see, you get the hole.

The golden star part is mine :3  You have visiting rights to the borders of the hole, though.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36327 on: September 03, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »

Hey, gold is gold, buddy. And stars are stars. To the celestial pawn shop!

You know you're just going to be paid in generic "coins," so why not just leave it in the middle of nowhere for Mario to find on his own?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36328 on: September 03, 2011, 09:18:50 pm »

No, see, you get the hole.

The golden star part is mine :3  You have visiting rights to the borders of the hole, though.

I suppose there's only one thing I can do, then. I'm going to have to visit the anti-pawn shop and see what I can get for this cylindrical volume of gold I don't have.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36329 on: September 03, 2011, 10:26:22 pm »

There's a party down the hall.  The noise is fucking unbearable.

I would go down and join, but I can't stand the sound all the way over here with the door closed.

Fucking hate this shit.  Want to buy new mental wiring.

Oh,

And fuck Aristotle too.

Pages: 1 ... 2420 2421 [2422] 2423 2424 ... 8167