Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2418 2419 [2420] 2421 2422 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452072 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36285 on: September 02, 2011, 08:21:53 pm »

D:

That's just terrible, Truean. Aside from drunken stupor, what on earth are you going to do? :(
Also often called Boowells.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36286 on: September 02, 2011, 08:23:12 pm »

Good luck, friendo. You deserve it (the good luck I mean, not your current situation).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36287 on: September 02, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »

I don't suppose you could just show up in body armor when talking to the defendant? :)

Yeah I also hope things turn out better for you in the future. I've full confidence in your abilities; let's hope luck holds up it's side of the bargain and you get a better situation.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36288 on: September 02, 2011, 08:38:42 pm »

Having the worst time with religion right now o_O  A friend and I started up a discussion through Facebook about my decision to not believe in God anymore.  He's a strong Christian friend, and as is his duty as my friend and a Christian, he is trying to convert me back.  There's nothing wrong with what he's doing, or how he's doing it.  But it's making me feel awful anyway.  I'm also trying to write a fanfiction that I started a year ago, and I'm stumbling over a part where the main character becomes an acolyte (Ragnarok Online fanfiction, acolytes are the healing class) due to the religious nature involved.

I need a tall glass of video game right about now  o_O

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36289 on: September 02, 2011, 08:50:14 pm »

Thank you, I appreciate the concern, truly.

Not entirely sure what I'll do, though Ideally, I'd just go to a different firm that doesn't mind having someone who reads legal encyclopedias for fun in their spare time--one that has someone else to take on the especially heinous crimes. Aside from its heinous nature, it really really helps to specialize in this particular area when you're doing this sort of thing. Not sure how that'll pan out in this market. I don't mind doing the usual, non heinous criminal stuff. This is not usual.

[Hugs Kijyuu, if that's ok] ....

Especially after the last thing he did, he'll be fully shackled, to the table before I enter that room with an armed guard at the door, at least.

Night.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:54:46 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36290 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:03 pm »

In the world of videogames, Lucia in Wii Sports Resort is still beating my ass.

I'm good at videogames too! I beat Godhand's hard mode! That's ballbustingly hard! I beat Nethack three times! Only complete hermits and crazy people can do that once! Resident Evil 4 and 5 Mercenaries are my favorite minigames of all time, with me getting SS rank on every map with every character! My reflexes are finely honed!

And I'm good at real Table Tennis too! I'm the best student at my school!

Lucia is something else though! Her very existence hearkens back to the day of Nintendo Hard games, except worse! She is beyond supernaturally good, and I'm surprised that a larger mythos hasn't sprung up around her sacrificing the Island-goers for otherworldly Ping Pong skills.

I hate Lucia so much!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #36291 on: September 02, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »

Aside from its heinous nature, it really really helps to specialize in this particular area when you're doing this sort of thing.

In my university, there was a branchout in law studies in which students could choose to go for the "civil" route, and the "penal" route (the latter was regarded as having easier subjects). Of course, this did not prevent them from going into a practice opposite of their branch choice afterwards.... an ex (sort of) of mine went for the penal path (because of the aforementioned theoretical ease), and now she has her own buffette and does pretty much anything, for what I've seen from her webpage.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36292 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:39 pm »

-snip-

I am really sorry you're being put in this position... and that this is far from the only time your firm has been giving you this crap either! I only speak for myself, but I don't know that I could do what you're doing, so your tenacity is admirable. At least putting up with the firm's crap for as long as you have looks good on a resume... so keep that in mind as you work through this, and start looking toward your future.

If I may ask, is law your true passion, or are there other fields or subjects you're trained/interested in? You might consider this an opportunity to branch out, be that toward different ways of using your current training, or pursuing something else that's more in line with what you'd like to be doing in the long-term.

Good luck, and I wish you strength in getting through this.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36293 on: September 02, 2011, 10:12:14 pm »

I HAVE NO TIME GIVE ME TIME

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36294 on: September 02, 2011, 10:31:48 pm »

I'm getting that urge again.  The urge to make a forum RPG that'll never pan out.  Maybe.  Maybe I'll do it.

Send me a PM if you do, I don't really pay attention to FG&RP anymore, but I always like your games, and they serve as inspiration to me sometimes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36295 on: September 03, 2011, 07:15:55 am »

*urgh* Need to get more than 3 hours sleep before pulling a 10-hour shift. Thank God it's Saturday so I can mostly fall asleep, at least for the first few hours.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36296 on: September 03, 2011, 07:21:16 am »

Thank you, I appreciate the concern, truly.

Not entirely sure what I'll do, though Ideally, I'd just go to a different firm that doesn't mind having someone who reads legal encyclopedias for fun in their spare time--one that has someone else to take on the especially heinous crimes. Aside from its heinous nature, it really really helps to specialize in this particular area when you're doing this sort of thing. Not sure how that'll pan out in this market. I don't mind doing the usual, non heinous criminal stuff. This is not usual.

[Hugs Kijyuu, if that's ok] ....

Especially after the last thing he did, he'll be fully shackled, to the table before I enter that room with an armed guard at the door, at least.

Night.

Hopefully you can get him to go for a plea bargain and be done with the whole damned thing relatively quickly.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36297 on: September 03, 2011, 08:04:31 am »

Hopefully you can get him to go for a plea bargain and be done with the whole damned thing relatively quickly.
He attacked and injured his last lawyer just for suggesting a plea deal.

Good luck on that one.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36298 on: September 03, 2011, 10:34:31 am »

In my dream last night I went to Maine and was captured by some military and forced into a labor camp.  It was scary.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36299 on: September 03, 2011, 12:03:54 pm »

Nobody comes out of Maine alive.
Pages: 1 ... 2418 2419 [2420] 2421 2422 ... 8167