Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2390 2391 [2392] 2393 2394 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9431731 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35865 on: August 25, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »

One 5oz. glass of wine is one drink to them.  I think it's going by the Standard Drink thing.

So... In my case 12 -20 drinks a day...

Uhh... Hello no enrollment if I'm honest! XD
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35866 on: August 25, 2011, 05:55:57 pm »

"14.  When you choose not to drink alcohol, how important are the following reasons?"
This freakin' test assumes I drink alcohol when I'm suppose to fill it out as a college freshmen!  College freshmen shouldn't even be drinking legally!  Ugh.  I have a headache.  I need a drink.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35867 on: August 25, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »

I think that test is encouraging you to drink just so you can fill it out properly.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35868 on: August 25, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »

Pity I don't have a license to ship booze across state lines, else I'd mail Toony a bottle of mead.

Okay, not really. But the thought is there!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35869 on: August 25, 2011, 06:08:20 pm »

Pity I don't have a license to ship booze across state lines, else I'd mail Toony a bottle of mead.

Okay, not really. But the thought is there!

You just need a bright orange muscle car, and a girl with tiny shorts and you can bootleg in style.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35870 on: August 25, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »

Yumi's not feeling well :<
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35871 on: August 25, 2011, 06:33:46 pm »

I remember when I was supposed to fill that survey out.  I wasn't a very put-together person, so I ended up just skipping it and am still kind of terrified that men in suits are going to show up to say "Sorry, no alcohol survey.  Go to a different university :I"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35872 on: August 25, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »

Well to put your fears away it doesn't matter one bit unless you get into an alcohol-related incident.  I'm just playing safe.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35873 on: August 25, 2011, 07:13:43 pm »

Things not done today:
 - scanning in the remaining cards
 - looking for a place to live

Lazy, stupid Mindmaker. You'll do that right after waking up, understood?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35874 on: August 25, 2011, 07:32:15 pm »

Buy a pet monkey and train it to taze you if you procrastinate things.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35875 on: August 25, 2011, 07:45:50 pm »

Have to move soon and can't take all my books etc :(

If you live in Sydney, Australia and want a pile of D&D (second edition) related stuff, with some nice plastic crates to keep them in, PM me (I have a mixed bunch of sourcebooks / magazines etc). You'll have to pick them up though.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35876 on: August 25, 2011, 08:42:52 pm »

Bugger. I live in Canberra and don't yet have my licence, so no helping you :(
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35877 on: August 25, 2011, 08:48:21 pm »

I remember when I was supposed to fill that survey out.  I wasn't a very put-together person, so I ended up just skipping it and am still kind of terrified that men in suits are going to show up to say "Sorry, no alcohol survey.  Go to a different university :I"
I never got this survey.

Granted this is a community college, so they probably assumed I was paying child support already for precicely this reason.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35878 on: August 25, 2011, 08:50:08 pm »

I never got this survey.

Yeah, I never even heard of it, or any such survey.  The closest thing to an "alcohol" survey I ever had to take was a generic "effects of alcohol" test in a Biology lab.  Probably related to the fact that my college had no less than seven full-service bars within 20-minutes walk from anywhere on campus.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35879 on: August 25, 2011, 08:54:01 pm »

I got a chance to play Wii Table Tennis today, and I have to say this is a very poor approximation of Table Tennis.

At first glance, it's innocent enough, but I can't keep playing, I'm getting too stone cold furious at how many bad habits your little Mii avatar has, how little control you truly have over him, and how many games this has costed me and being able to spot the exact mistake my Mii made that caused it.

Generally, you character only has 8 basic Table Tennis moves at his disposal: Forehand push, F-Drive, F-Chop, Backhand punch, B-Drive, and B-Chop and F and B Smashes. Calling those drives or chops though is a little generous, since your Mii doesn't make the correct hand motion to impart as much spin as he does. Forehand and backhand flicks, blocks, drops, scoops, and loops are not represented at all; and while your Mii displays good shakehand posture, apparently Pen-holder style doesn't even exist.

I will say that I was a tad disappointed in the complete lack of a formal tutorial for any of the games, and so had to look up a more detailed lowdown for the controls proper. Upon doing this however, I was disappointed to find that to do your basic drives and chops, you have to twist your hand as you hit the ball. While I can understand that this is supposed to be a similar game to Wii Tennis, I would appreciate it if the game weren't instilling such a bad idea as to how Table Tennis works. In real Table Tennis, you CAN'T twist your wrist mid-stroke, it just doesn't work. You lose all sense of paddle control and direction, and the only thing you'll accomplish is sending the ball straight up, or down into the net or table.

Then finally, your Mii is just plain lazy. While he can backpedal just fine; if you would like him to skedaddle his sorry ass from one side of the table to the other, I can tell you right it isn't going to happen anytime soon with the old man shuffle he's been programmed to use. Furthermore, when the tempo of the ball has him pushed to the far side of any part of the table, the smartest thing to do is to hurry back to neutral position in the middle, but NOPE! Gonna stay way over there and make himself easy to get tricked by an alternating side shot... and OH MY GOD if you make him exert himself just slightly too hard to hit the ball that's outside of his grandpa shuffling radius, he'll leap for it and FUBAR it completely regardless of your input stroke, sending the ball into a lofty trajectory that any moron could smash back for the point.

And yes, leaping from one side of the table to the other and still performing a clean hit is a skill that needs to be practiced at; a skill that Miis have no grasp of whatsoever.

/Table Tennis Buff
Pages: 1 ... 2390 2391 [2392] 2393 2394 ... 8167