Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2384 2385 [2386] 2387 2388 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434498 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35775 on: August 23, 2011, 03:24:02 pm »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35776 on: August 23, 2011, 03:58:40 pm »

The depression is telling me that my situation is a magnum opus in a series of fuckups... that failure is to be born by the one who fails. If the ship's going down, and I can't claw my way back to shore with my own two hands, then I deserve to sink.

Granted, the rest of me regularly has to tell the depression to shut it and go loath-wallowing in the corner by itself, while the rest of me goes and gets shit done, but the feeling is still there. It's getting harder to brush aside. I'm well and truly sick of living life as various people's burdens; I feel like I have too much potential to be living as a parasite, and if I can't provide for myself, maybe the assumptions I've made about my potential and ability aren't accurate.

Bleh. The only family willing to take me in right now is my father. I love him, and would love a chance to get to know him better, but he lives over an hour away from my university, all of my friends, and my current job prospects, which means adding 2 hours of driving to every day I do anything. On top of that, I have a roommate who is counting on me being there to help with rent and bills; I won't do to him what happened to me, and drop it all, leaving him to pick up the pieces. I know I can do this. What I'm facing isn't something that everyone else doesn't deal with, I just don't know where to ply my energy to start making a decent living, so I can get on with my life.

I'll try for another month to find work. If by Mid-September, I can't find any, I'll start making arrangements for a replacement roommate, and will explore my available options. One step forward, two steps back; at least it feels like progress 1/3 of the time.

Spoiler: Soliquote (click to show/hide)

Just gonna tell you that if you consider your internet popularity, you should know that it could grow quite well, quite fast, if you spent more time on your fans, and that many such internet popular people can make a fine little extra through donations.

I'd donate to you without a second thought, just saying. I love your personality and your internet presence and find you a good influence on my mind, so yeah. I'd pay you a dinner at the very least.

I do appreciate the thought a lot, but if I can't ask for help from family, I certainly can't ask it from the internet. I've thought about embedding a video player in a website that acts as a library of my videos, with some not terribly obnoxious pay-by-view adverts on top, but 1) I'd rather not make money at my friends' expense, and 2) I don't know what kind of work would be involved for what return. I'd be surprised if it paid for itself, in the long term.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #35777 on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:08 pm »

I do appreciate the thought a lot, but if I can't ask for help from family, I certainly can't ask it from the internet. I've thought about embedding a video player in a website that acts as a library of my videos, with some not terribly obnoxious pay-by-view adverts on top, but 1) I'd rather not make money at my friends' expense, and 2) I don't know what kind of work would be involved for what return. I'd be surprised if it paid for itself, in the long term.

Don't be so stubborn :( I'd hardly feel 10$ missing, yet it's a meal to you, your story really makes me sad to know how so intelligent and hard working people are maltreated in the states :<

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35778 on: August 23, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »

I don't know why, but coffee, tea, caffeine pills, and many sodas just don't do it for me anymore. Energy drinks only. Other sources of caffeine just prevent withdrawal headaches; they do nothing to prevent withdrawal tiredness and suchlike. Either I'm addicted to some other substance in these things, or else it's psychosomatic bullshit. Ugh, I need a week or two where I can just be useless, but fat chance of that happening now that I no longer have school as an excuse >____>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35779 on: August 23, 2011, 05:19:45 pm »

I couldn't donate to you anyway (saving), but I wouldn't mind disabling Adblock on your page if you were the one getting the money, Soli.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35780 on: August 23, 2011, 06:38:23 pm »

I'm totally exhausted and have some small measure of "free time" for the first time in literally years. Naturally, I'm being pushed to "exercise."

What part of "exhausted" do people think goes with "exercise?" I am amazed I am out of bed, at all.
Moreover, Northern Ohio is overrun with misquito [Edit: damn autocorrect :P]  because the cheap bastards didn't spray for them.... Finally, I may have woken up an old injury because I literally move that fucking fast at work, in a law firm.... I got shit to do. The papers tacked to the walls and things, are wooshed up in my wake as I speed walk the fuck on by. I don't need anymore damn exercise anyhow.

Do not ask someone literally seven times if they want to do something they have expressly refused doing six times and explained why not.... Gah.

You know what I'm doing? Reading a book that isn't law related.... I don't even care which one, suggestions?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:39:56 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35781 on: August 23, 2011, 07:07:28 pm »

The Tale of Genji (at least the unabridged translation by Royall Tyler) will take up a lot of free time. Asimov has a bunch of good stories.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35782 on: August 23, 2011, 07:32:15 pm »

I can't find a server to play Terraria dirt rod basketball on. Kaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeellllllll
But really you should take your time making the deathworld all deathy and worldy. It's okay if there are real-life issues keeping it from happening, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35783 on: August 23, 2011, 07:46:05 pm »

It is 37 Degrees here.

Las Vegas is 41.

SWEET FLYING FUCK CANADA.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35784 on: August 23, 2011, 08:02:39 pm »

Bleh, everything's just.. crap.
Back to life looking completely pointless :/
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35785 on: August 23, 2011, 08:53:53 pm »

I don't even care which one, suggestions?

I enjoyed A Widow for One Year, or pretty much anything else by John Irving.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35786 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:16 pm »

While this doesn't hold a candle to what many others have gone through...

Each time I try to improvise, play songs by ear, or try to play tabs on piano, I always end up depressed at my lack of ability despite 12 years of piano tutelage.

Basically, I cannot engage in any sort of artistic creativity without feeling depressed.

Drawing? Nope, too terrible and my hands have a slight twitch anyway from piano. Other than that, I'm just terrible with art in general. I tried pixel art at one point in time and that turned out...not so well.

Music composition? Nope, whatever sounds RIGHT in my head...never translates well to written form (or performed form, either). Aside from that, I always get distracted whenever I'm composing just because it annoys me to use the keyboard/mouse because I don't have a MIDI keyboard.

Music improvisation? Difficult. I can sometimes perform some neat stuff, but 9/10 times, it just sounds like uninspired, disjointed bullshit.

Furthermore, because it depresses and frustrates me so much, I can't get far enough to actually DO something good. Rrrrgh!
Also often called Boowells.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35787 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:52 pm »

Same reason my electric guitar is never used, I'm so terrible I hate practicing, of course leading to no improvement. My life is just a great big story about how a kid who was naturally talented at a few things became convinced that everything should come that easily to him.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35788 on: August 23, 2011, 11:58:52 pm »

This is my nightly "I am stressed about school" post.

I am very stressed about returning to school.

Thank you, everyone, you've been a wonderful audience, good night.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35789 on: August 24, 2011, 12:08:06 am »

This is my nightly "I am stressed about school" post.

I am very stressed about returning to school.

Thank you, everyone, you've been a wonderful audience, good night.

I'm...not sure I should applaud for that.
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 ... 2384 2385 [2386] 2387 2388 ... 8167