Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2383 2384 [2385] 2386 2387 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435211 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35760 on: August 23, 2011, 04:57:14 am »

Bleh jobs. I'm already only getting 3 hours at work per day, and for the second time now they've cut me from the floor as soon as I come in, because UPS can't afford to pay me for my scheduled shift. I can't live off of 15 hours of minimum-wage work per week, let alone 12! It's simply not sustainable.

How long have you been working there, and what do you do?  I get at least 4.5 hours a night, and have never once been told to leave.  Come to think of it, that shouldn't be happening to you at all - company policy is that they have to give you something to do for at least 3.5 hours, so you can get at least 16 hours a week.  You might have to raise a stink about it, and who knows what bullshit they'll give you, but they do have rules for this stuff.

I just started as a truck loader, and I'm not union yet (they hire almost everyone at my distribution center as "temporary to hire", and thus non-union). Basically I'm stuck in probationary limbo, where if they say to jump into an active cardboard compactor, I can either do that or lose my job. It's the most demanding job I've ever worked, for the least I've ever earned, and I'm selling myself on it because I earn something as opposed to nothing, and it's good exercise.

Solifuge: It gets better, man. If you have to, suck in that ego and move in with family and friends. Take any non-super-sketch jobs off of craigslist. Do what you gotta.

You'll get by :)

I do that, and that would make this... what, my fourth failed launch from the nest in 6 years?

I don't think, emotionally, that I can handle that kind of collapse again, hence my scrambling. Logically I know that a combination of circumstances, lack of foresight, poor decision-making, a lack of planning, and a terrible economic situation state-wise and nation-wise, have lead to this situation, but I can't help but see it as a sign of dysfunctionality on my part. I'm afraid that if I just get bailed out again, I'll never break the cycle. Part of me would sooner try a dramatic change of tack... even if that means subsistence farming, shelving my judgement and personal values and working on an Oil Rig or in the Military, or something else. I just can't fail any more than I already have.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35761 on: August 23, 2011, 05:15:37 am »

I just started as a truck loader, and I'm not union yet (they hire almost everyone at my distribution center as "temporary to hire", and thus non-union). Basically I'm stuck in probationary limbo, where if they say to jump into an active cardboard compactor, I can either do that or lose my job. It's the most demanding job I've ever worked, for the least I've ever earned, and I'm selling myself on it because I earn something as opposed to nothing, and it's good exercise.

I'm surprised management style can change that much from one center to another.  I didn't even know UPS could do "temp forever" union-proof positions.

I don't think, emotionally, that I can handle that kind of collapse again, hence my scrambling. Logically I know that a combination of circumstances, lack of foresight, poor decision-making, a lack of planning, and a terrible economic situation state-wise and nation-wise, have lead to this situation, but I can't help but see it as a sign of dysfunctionality on my part. I'm afraid that if I just get bailed out again, I'll never break the cycle. Part of me would sooner try a dramatic change of tack... even if that means subsistence farming, shelving my judgement and personal values and working on an Oil Rig or in the Military, or something else. I just can't fail any more than I already have.

The best advice I can give is, as much as you'll hate to hear it, never be afraid of being bailed out.  I'm in the same situation you are now (even if I am done with school) and I have never been close to independent from my family.  I have a Bachelor's degree, and I'm begging UPS to let me work two shifts at a job a gorilla could do so I can finally have enough money to live in a Project without asking anyone to pay my bills.  And y'know what?  As much as I hate it, I honestly find it hard to complain.  Fuck your soul.  It'll still be there, your soul can wait until shit comes together.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35762 on: August 23, 2011, 06:09:07 am »

Son's got Lyme disease. Hopefully we caught it early enough that the antibiotics will knock it out before it develops long-term damage like permanent arthritis for the rest of his life.  :(

Fucking ticks can all die and go to Hell.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #35763 on: August 23, 2011, 08:13:18 am »

Spoiler: Soliquote (click to show/hide)

Just gonna tell you that if you consider your internet popularity, you should know that it could grow quite well, quite fast, if you spent more time on your fans, and that many such internet popular people can make a fine little extra through donations.

I'd donate to you without a second thought, just saying. I love your personality and your internet presence and find you a good influence on my mind, so yeah. I'd pay you a dinner at the very least.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35764 on: August 23, 2011, 12:39:06 pm »

*shrug*

Some days you just can't win anything.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35765 on: August 23, 2011, 12:51:01 pm »

You don't have to, if that's any comfort.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35766 on: August 23, 2011, 12:53:03 pm »

You don't have to, if that's any comfort.

Hmm.  You're right.  Thank you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35767 on: August 23, 2011, 01:07:28 pm »

Ug. Just read a post by someone who seems to think Ohio's teacher's and firemen are living in mansions and gobbling caviar. At least, he insists that Ohio's public workers are "living in the lap of luxury" and "guzzling puplic dollars." The next teacher I meet that makes more than a Jeep worker will be the first.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35768 on: August 23, 2011, 01:24:53 pm »

Ug. Just read a post by someone who seems to think Ohio's teacher's and firemen are living in mansions and gobbling caviar. At least, he insists that Ohio's public workers are "living in the lap of luxury" and "guzzling puplic dollars." The next teacher I meet that makes more than a Jeep worker will be the first.

Scapegoats....

"Everyone else's stuff is shit; your shit is stuff." ~George Carlin.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #35769 on: August 23, 2011, 01:28:09 pm »

I think I have spyware that's using my computer to advertise a new game.
It keeps typing "new game please join the server help it grow!!" And then a website.
I'm running a spyware search, but in the meantime this is really annoying.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35770 on: August 23, 2011, 01:54:22 pm »

I think I have spyware that's using my computer to advertise a new game.
It keeps typing "new game please join the server help it grow!!" And then a website.
I'm running a spyware search, but in the meantime this is really annoying.

Use the process manager (ctrl-shift-esc on Windows) - if you're lucky, you'll get to identify the process and shut it down, at least for now.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #35771 on: August 23, 2011, 02:06:17 pm »

Scapegoats....

"Everyone else's stuff is shit; your shit is stuff." ~George Carlin.

I fucking love Carlin, thanks for quoting him <3 Best American ever.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35772 on: August 23, 2011, 02:06:54 pm »

Vector, I've always felt that the best plan is to have no plan - but have ten backup plans, and backup plans for those backup plans.

All of life is improv anyhow. :D
All the world's a stage, the men and women merely players - but the writer sucks and everybody's ad-libbing their lines.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35773 on: August 23, 2011, 02:09:22 pm »

A good friend of the family got sectioned under the Mental Health Act 1983. Just got off the phone with him and he's sounding a lot better but still very paranoid and scared.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35774 on: August 23, 2011, 03:00:21 pm »

Never again eating before I took my run :/
Felt nauseous and even puked a little.

And now recurring thoughts of suicide.
What a great day...
Pages: 1 ... 2383 2384 [2385] 2386 2387 ... 8167