Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2381 2382 [2383] 2384 2385 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9436966 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35730 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:07 pm »

Kudos on having the strength to develop a reputation for stubbornness from being completely reasonable in the face of somebody who apparently arbitrarily dislikes you, at least.

Can't say the complete silent treatment is a good idea, though, unless she's universally disliked and everybody's just too polite to ask her to stop showing up at things. Depends on whether it's worth it to force the whole thing to a conclusion; the problem is that since this sounds like her habitual behavior, any change in the status quo is likely to be blamed on you unless you're very clear about what your problem is (in which case MSH's advice sounds like a very, very bad approach). You already have considered this, I'm sure, but you haven't posted a reply yet as of this writing >___>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35731 on: August 22, 2011, 08:57:21 pm »

Look, bro, sometimes you can stand up and be loud, and sometimes you just have to deal with the fact that your opponent is the Unfettered of Raging Bitchdom.  Part of my being a decent person is not entering a cruelty war of attrition.

This person has serious problems.  She acts like this to most people, curses out people warning her not to take medicine and alcohol together and then drive herself home, often gets into screaming fits.  I do not use the word "bitch" lightly.  This woman is a bitch.

I do not have the familial resources to take her down.  I am the smartest and most talented person in the family, which everyone unfortunately knows.  As such, they feel that they have to put me down in order to give everyone else a fighting chance.  They backed off somewhat on this when I had a big mental breakdown and dropped out of school, but still--they feel like this is their right.  I hurt them by existing, so they've earned the right to tease and hurt me.

Not all of them, but that's kind of the way it goes.

I'll also add that she's the daughter of a woman whose only son (though she does have three daughters) died when he was 14 years old of genetic heart disease.  She is very, very attached to her remaining children.

Sometimes you just need somewhere to complain.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35732 on: August 22, 2011, 08:59:56 pm »

Well, I'm just happy I almost never see my extended family.
Or am I?

Well, it would be nice to have some sort of family to fall back on, a feeling of belonging together, that sort of thing.
But the way it is now, it seems like everybody is living their own life far apart from each other, witholding as much information as they can.

And it's pretty much decided, that should I ever marry, I'll take my wifes name. Maybe I can infiltrate her family.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35733 on: August 22, 2011, 09:00:49 pm »

There are no Terraria servers up here... Kael. >:(
Of course I'm just kidding, but playing singleplayer all the time gets very lonely. Very, very lonely. I've resorted to naming the bunnies I see and taking them in as pets.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35734 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:56 pm »

Sometimes you just need somewhere to complain.
It's understandable that you need to vent. Try to see our mangled advice as sympathy. We wouldn't be trying to help if we didn't care somewhat :)

I've a cousin much like that, but in my case the rest of the family pretty much despises her rather than being begrudgingly accepting. So, I don't quite know what you're going through. Sounds pretty crappy though, and I hope it improves somehow.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35735 on: August 22, 2011, 09:11:16 pm »

Not bad at all when compared to the above.
I'm going to put it in here anyway though, because it's a sad to me at least.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35736 on: August 22, 2011, 09:13:23 pm »

Yeah, thanks!  It's mostly okay.  I'm kind of surprised by how thick my skin is on this sort of issue... it hurts a lot less than it used to, and now all I feel is a vague disappointment that she didn't take the opportunity to bury the hatchet.  If not for the haircut-history, I'd probably say "Well, whatever, jerks gonna jerk," but I sort of wish she'd taken it as a positive symbolic act.

Or maybe she is and she's just waiting to see if I'll take her crap (i.e. express goodwill).  Faugh, who even knows anymore ::)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35737 on: August 22, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »

Well Vector, this sort of thing is just something that sets me off. People accepting abuse and maltreatment from others for no other reason than "They're family.". It's senseless, and I try to address it whenever I see it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35738 on: August 22, 2011, 09:20:43 pm »

Yeah, but that's clearly not the only reason. And, in my experience, often isn't; it does happen sometimes, but a lot of times there's a lot of practical reasons not to press a giant argument with your family (I just wish some of my own family members realized that, it'd cut down on a lot of the yelling within my nuclear family, but oh well).

Feelin' kinda awkward like mebbe I shouldn't actually be in this conversation. Hrm.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35739 on: August 22, 2011, 09:23:11 pm »

Urgh. House is bloody freezing right now ><
* The Merchant Of Menace attempts to sit down but ends up shivering herself across the room.
*Hugs*

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35740 on: August 22, 2011, 09:25:01 pm »

If I had your address, and also had a space heater, and also had shipping monies, I would mail you a space heater.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35741 on: August 22, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »

AGH! I can't find a working key for this starcraft game. I'm going to check with a friend and then maybe blizzards support line, but if somebody who has a key could be an amazing person forever and help me out, it'd be great (I'm mostly doing it for multi with a few friends, as there are hundreds of used keys on the internet that work to register single player).

Going to any family event is pretty much a game of chess. Avoid person X, stick close to person Y, make sure A and B avoid eachother after 3 drinks, ect. It's all pretty hard to watch play out.
EDIT:If anybody does have a starcraft CD key and doesn't play anymore, it'd be great of you to email me that key.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:06:40 pm by blackmagechill »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35742 on: August 22, 2011, 09:51:30 pm »

What I do at most/all family events: sit in corner and watch, and occasionally glower at my parents for making me come. Maybe play vidyagames if I brought a portable system.

Most of the extended-family occasions I attend are pretty much the 50th anniversary of X cousin twice removed, though, so I guess I have a reason to sit in a corner and be bored - it's a bunch of old people I'm somehow related to that I don't know.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35743 on: August 22, 2011, 09:58:26 pm »

Have had a headache for 12 straight hours, intensity is a graphable sin wave from blinding pain to dull ache.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35744 on: August 22, 2011, 10:00:40 pm »

Some background on the situation is summed up nicely in these two spoiler'd quotes.
Spoiler: Aw. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yay! (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure if this should go in the sad thread or rage thread, but I feel more unhappy about this than pissed off. That's probably because I'm currently on the internet.
A few days ago, they gave us a warning that they were going to turn off the power. It was even a good amount of time to prepare, at least for me. I did so. They then proceeded to do nothing.
"Okay, great," I thought, "now I don't know what to think. Fantastic." So they came today and one of my sisters answered the door. She yelled up the stairs that they're "about to turn the power off." No amount of time, just "about to". I tell the person I;m talking to via laptop that she just said it's about to go off and that I gotta prepare for it (again). Changing my power settings, logging off, charging it as much as I can before it happens, things like that. Not even a minute later, the fan in the room stops. I didn't even have enough time to get off the bed.
"Hey, your power's going off-- here's a warning and when we're gonna do it!"
"That's nice of them to tell us."
Nothing happens.
We're left in the dark (no pun intended) about when to expect it.
"Hey, we're about to turn the power off now!"
"Oh, 'kay, I should prepare while I still--"
""

Welp.

I'm currently at the library using their free wifi. That's all I've got for now. At least I'll be able to focus on my work when school starts, hopefully.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:02:31 pm by applesauce machine »
THE GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING BIBLES IN THE WATER SUPPLY.
Sigtext x 20 and avatar gallery
Pages: 1 ... 2381 2382 [2383] 2384 2385 ... 8167