Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2380 2381 [2382] 2383 2384 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439348 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35715 on: August 22, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »

Migraine, I am still at work, I am low on juice and easy food at home, will need to shop, I can barely keep my eyes open from the pain.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35716 on: August 22, 2011, 04:24:24 pm »

Anxieties are making it difficult for me to tackle my problems. Going to make some lists, and prioritize what needs doing, and put my serious To Do List in perspective.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35717 on: August 22, 2011, 04:38:55 pm »

I second Realmfighter's sadness, Jack Layton passed away, and the entire world is worst off for it.

Quote from: Jack Layton
To young Canadians: All my life I have worked to make things better. Hope and optimism have defined my political career, and I continue to be hopeful and optimistic about Canada. Young people have been a great source of inspiration for me. I have met and talked with so many of you about your dreams, your frustrations, and your ideas for change. More and more, you are engaging in politics because you want to change things for the better. Many of you have placed your trust in our party. As my time in political life draws to a close I want to share with you my belief in your power to change this country and this world. There are great challenges before you, from the overwhelming nature of climate change to the unfairness of an economy that excludes so many from our collective wealth, and the changes necessary to build a more inclusive and generous Canada. I believe in you. Your energy, your vision, your passion for justice are exactly what this country needs today. You need to be at the heart of our economy, our political life, and our plans for the present and the future.

And finally, to all Canadians: Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one - a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world's environment. We can restore our good name in the world. We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change. In the months and years to come, New Democrats will put a compelling new alternative to you. My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team. Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. Don't let them tell you it can't be done. My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.

All my very best,
Jack Layton

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35718 on: August 22, 2011, 04:40:26 pm »

I feel soooooooo depressed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35719 on: August 22, 2011, 06:54:14 pm »

I slipped off my medication some days ago.
Love, scriver~

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35720 on: August 22, 2011, 07:13:06 pm »

And I keep forgetting mine.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35721 on: August 22, 2011, 07:25:05 pm »

World of Warcraft is implementing a feature that lets you wear whatever equipment you want for looks while keeping the stats of other equipment.

Why is this sad? Because they know my weakness.. They're trying to draw me back into the game with promises of playing dress up, and are succeeding. The roleplayer in me demands I make my old characters look awesome and reflecting of the various personalities I've placed on them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35722 on: August 22, 2011, 07:30:57 pm »

The doctor didn't tell me how long I would need to keep advil going in my system if I wanted to live without (as much) soreness from the stone passing emanating through my kidneys and groin. The answer seems to be "I still have to".
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35723 on: August 22, 2011, 07:35:10 pm »

World of Warcraft is implementing a feature that lets you wear whatever equipment you want for looks while keeping the stats of other equipment.
Huh, so you can kick ass on battlegrounds, while wearing a suit?
Sounds interesting.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35724 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »

I have a cousin who hates me for a few reasons.  My mother helped raise her, and she's angry that she ended up focusing her energy on giving me a good childhood (even though she did help emotionally support this other kid and her sisters).

By the way, she's eight years older than I am.

So the first big thing is that when I was a little kid and eating messily, she laughed at me and told me I was a filthy pig, and my mother told her not to do that--and the cousin hated that my mom wasn't laughing and calling me names alongside.

Same thing for when I was a bit older and the cousin wanted to cut my hair and give me bangs, but my mom wouldn't let her (I liked my hair the way it was).

At a family party, she recently breezed by, drunk, as I was talking to some other folks; she told them not to, because I'm boring and hate people, and left the room.  She didn't even say hello.

Now that I've cut my hair with bangs--incidentally just what she wanted, though I wasn't thinking about that at all at the time--all she has to say to my mom was "she probably held out longer on her hair than she did on her virginity!"

First off, it's not even technically true; second, I'm tired of all the jokes about how pointlessly and relentlessly stubborn I am.

I don't really know what to say.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:36:52 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35725 on: August 22, 2011, 08:35:26 pm »

Then just cut off contact with her. Problem Solved.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35726 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:39 pm »

Let's see.  I cut off the daughter of the favored aunt, which means that I cut off the grandmother (our clan's matriarch) and by extension all family gatherings and the payment for my textbooks.

I don't see any "just" in that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35727 on: August 22, 2011, 08:39:26 pm »

Avoid her. She sounds like a real bitch and returning her jackassery will only make things worse.

Of course you can't cut off all contact... just ignore her to the best of your ability.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35728 on: August 22, 2011, 08:43:03 pm »

Yeah, that's what I'm doing.  We don't really talk at all.

I dunno if I'm looking for advice.  It's not world-shattering or that surprising, just kind of disgusting and crude.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35729 on: August 22, 2011, 08:45:41 pm »

Let's see.  I cut off the daughter of the favored aunt, which means that I cut off the grandmother (our clan's matriarch) and by extension all family gatherings and the payment for my textbooks.

I don't see any "just" in that.
Then don't cut off anyone else but her. Remove all avenues of contact with her. If you have to be in the same general area as her, pretend that she doesn't exist. If people ask you about her, act like you don't know who they're talking about.

Shun. Shun the jerk cousin. If that doesn't work for you, intimidate her into silence. Whatever you do, don't be the family punching bag.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2380 2381 [2382] 2383 2384 ... 8167