Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2366 2367 [2368] 2369 2370 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447423 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35505 on: August 18, 2011, 12:40:01 pm »

There are times I'm glad that I strive not to conflate my self-identity with the identity of a nation, and one of those times is thinking about how much the United States contributed to the Holocaust.
Realize that by now most of the wars recently were fueled by Americans, dunno much of the Bosnian stuff but all of the shit from the first Iraqi war came from us including the genocides with chemicals provided graciously.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35506 on: August 18, 2011, 04:43:48 pm »

Yup.

Got a fever.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35507 on: August 18, 2011, 05:24:23 pm »

So basic stuff tied to the browser will run, like Flash and basic addons for firefox to prevent viruses from sneaking past absolutely no protection whatsoever.

But I can't get any sound because the sound drivers only work with at least Service Pack 2. I can't make Service Pack 2 work unless IE works, which it doesn't. I'll have to dick around with the repair function and downloading fresh .DLL's off the web, which is something I have not done before and while I am cautious about my sources I don't know how safe any of these are, or how this computer will react to it.

Yeah yeah external HD is gonna arrive in like a week, so when that comes in I'll back stuff up and reformat. But again I can't find my XP installation CD, all my buddies have Windows 7, the CD I am using is wrought with errors and has pretty much the first version of XP, and after trying most of my flash drives I cannot make any of them boot to linux in case everything fails and I just need an internet connection.

I seem to have a dozen plans and a dozen ways they can each not work out. Blurg.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #35508 on: August 18, 2011, 05:29:05 pm »

Holy fuck I overslept bad. My fault though, I stayed up long enough last night due to feeling sick to see my daughter go to school and woke up in time that she was back already. Ugh.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35509 on: August 18, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »

Bleh, life is still refusing to make me not want to die
*Hugs*

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #35510 on: August 18, 2011, 06:14:24 pm »

Bleh, life is still refusing to make me not want to die
Internet huggles for you. And for anyone who wants them.

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35511 on: August 18, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »

Welp, apparently the power's going off in 20 minutes, and I was told that about 5 minutes ago. Good thing I always charge everything even when in use.
I don't live on my own, nor do I own/rent the house I live in, so I couldn't have some anything to help anyway. That's both good and bad, but I'll take it as a good thing because I don't have to feel guilty about not doing all I could have.
But still, no power. At least it's still bright out.

Internet huggles for you. And for anyone who wants them.
I'll take one-- while I still have the facilities to access them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:53:27 pm by applesauce machine »
THE GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING BIBLES IN THE WATER SUPPLY.
Sigtext x 20 and avatar gallery

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35512 on: August 18, 2011, 07:10:12 pm »

I want to grow up and be educated and make money so that I have lots to give to other people :<

I know that "I could start now," but I have some other work to do for myself right now, so that future-me will be able to give lots of moneys away.  And I did a lot of free tutoring in high school, too, so hopefully that will be okay on the karma-box.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35513 on: August 18, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »

I want to grow up and be educated and make money so that I have lots to give to other people :<

I know that "I could start now," but I have some other work to do for myself right now, so that future-me will be able to give lots of moneys away.  And I did a lot of free tutoring in high school, too, so hopefully that will be okay on the karma-box.

Hey, nobody holds you to any standard.  You have to live your own life first.  I haven't given any money to the National Association of Free Clinics lately, when I think I should.  I did just up my payroll-deduction charity to United Way to $5 a week though.  You can do little stuff too.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35514 on: August 18, 2011, 07:16:48 pm »

If that's your goal, I suggest following Andrew Carnegie's advice:

1. Spend the first third of one's life getting all the education one can.
2. Spend the next third making all the money one can.
3. Spend the last third giving it all away for worthwhile causes.

You'll probably be most effective if you stick to 1 and 2 before going through with 3. So, don't feel guilty if you're not doing anything particularly philanthropic right now.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35515 on: August 18, 2011, 07:25:25 pm »

Yeah, I'm sort of going the Carnegie route.  We'll see where that gets me =/

I literally have 0 cashflow other than the occasional gift from benefactors, which inevitably gets turned into more books to learn out of.

Must become a highly honed blade of usefulness!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35516 on: August 18, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »

It appears a single set of legal encyclopedias for research costs about $11,000 before tax. Hum.
This would make starting a practice difficult. O well.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:51:05 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35517 on: August 18, 2011, 08:01:22 pm »

... Dear German "localizer" for Chrono Cross:

You're doing it wrong.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35518 on: August 18, 2011, 08:06:48 pm »

I am afraid that I don't believe in charity. Or more accurately: I will go far out of my way to DO things that help people, but I hate the idea of giving money. I have grown up so poor and had so many challenges in life and have been screwed over so many times that the idea of giving away money terrifies me. I never want to go back there and will save every penny I can until I feel safe. After that, I can think about giving. I don't even like to buy things.

And I have recently let my family borrow thousands of dollars (pretty much my entire safety net, in a time when I don't know if my contract is going to be renewed) to try and keep them afloat long enough to get on their feet.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35519 on: August 18, 2011, 08:06:49 pm »

It appears a single set of legal encyclopedias for research costs about $11,000 before tax. Hum.
This would make starting a practice difficult. O well.

MaximumZero cancels jaw-drop: Head exploded.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2366 2367 [2368] 2369 2370 ... 8167