Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2360 2361 [2362] 2363 2364 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449700 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35415 on: August 17, 2011, 05:43:19 pm »

Heh, there's only 2 people in the world I hate more than myself.
Naw come on now. I am sure that there are others, even if not as bad ones.

Maybe I should've said that differently... :/

I don't know...there's only a couple people who I would apply the word 'hate' to, personally. Sure, there's some 'dislikes' in there, but not many 'hates'.
What I meant is that she shouldn't rate herself so lowly. Or something. I think that was my intention.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35416 on: August 17, 2011, 05:45:06 pm »

Thank you, but it's not enough.  I don't see clearly yet.  I've only read one or two books by Black people in my entire life...

fogglewogglewoggle

:I

I respect myself enough to believe I can do better than this and grow past some of my compatriots who still think complaining about any and all books covering civil rights issues are terrible impositions, so I'm going to go do so.

[hug]
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35417 on: August 17, 2011, 05:48:57 pm »

Tuition is $1600. Current funds in bank is $1400. That $400 was from my dad after already spending a good $800 on our Europe trip. I really hate asking for another $200.
 I'll have to ask for even more for parts to fix this computer too. Bleugh.
I'm having a payment problem as well.  Not as bad as you though.

Generally feeling depressed today as well.  Don't feel like eating or moving or anything.  Decaying

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35418 on: August 17, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »

I've only read one or two books by Black people in my entire life...
I understand your intent and see what you are getting at, but at a certain point thinking like this becomes counterproductive. I can see the purpose of reading books to better understand being a minority in a place with still weird racial relations, but you don't automatically get that from black authors.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35419 on: August 17, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »

I can do better than only having read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and The Color Purple, and then going "Wait, why haven't I seen many interesting black characters?  Why are my preconceptions so weird?"

Really, seriously.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35420 on: August 17, 2011, 05:55:04 pm »

My books for this semester were $611... No fuck YOU textbook companies.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35421 on: August 17, 2011, 05:56:41 pm »

shit i haven't even looked at mine yet but i know my trig book is going to be 100 bucks square and its small as a mouse compared to my college algbra book ::)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35422 on: August 17, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »

I can do better than only having read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and The Color Purple, and then going "Wait, why haven't I seen many interesting black characters?  Why are my preconceptions so weird?"

It's not like that's even a guarantor of anything.  The only book by a black author I've read was Giovanni's Room, and that's quite explicitly not about being black.  Interesting to interpret I guess, how a black author in the 1950s interprets his life through a white character.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35423 on: August 17, 2011, 05:58:19 pm »

Thank you, but it's not enough.  I don't see clearly yet.  I've only read one or two books by Black people in my entire life...

fogglewogglewoggle

:I

I respect myself enough to believe I can do better than this and grow past some of my compatriots who still think complaining about any and all books covering civil rights issues are terrible impositions, so I'm going to go do so.

[hug]

[Soft hug] :)

You can; you will.
http://www.ehow.com/list_5842906_famous-black-poets-authors.html
http://aalbc.com/famous-black-authors.html
http://www.afropoets.net/

Though not exactly what you're looking for, "To Kill a Mockingbird," examines some lovely racism and one lawyer's, Atticus Finch, doomed but dedicated and determined quest to defend against it. The book is far from perfect, but it was the beginning of an effort and for when it was written, a start.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35424 on: August 17, 2011, 05:59:29 pm »

Math textbooks you can usually have a baseline of $100 easy. I have a speech and history courses on top of an art course, so that's a guaranteed minimum $500 for supplies.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35425 on: August 17, 2011, 06:00:56 pm »

Dear Scaraban,

Consider renting your textbooks online through one of the better services. I got a new-condition textbook for the entire semester for only $15.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:09:54 pm by freeformschooler »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35426 on: August 17, 2011, 06:02:52 pm »

I get my textbooks for less than 10€ apiece. Where the heck do you guys live that they're so frigging expensive?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35427 on: August 17, 2011, 06:06:21 pm »

Though not exactly what you're looking for, "To Kill a Mockingbird," examines some lovely racism and one lawyer's, Atticus Finch, doomed but dedicated and determined quest to defend against it. The book is far from perfect, but it was the beginning of an effort and for when it was written, a start.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X is also really interesting.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35428 on: August 17, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »

I get my textbooks for less than 10€ apiece. Where the heck do you guys live that they're so frigging expensive?
'murica.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35429 on: August 17, 2011, 06:10:57 pm »

I'm actually reading essays critiquing TKaM for white centrism as we type =)  I've already read the novel a couple of times.

And obviously, there's rhetoric papers and so on.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X is also really interesting.

Thanks!

*sigh*

Time to get educated.

Pages: 1 ... 2360 2361 [2362] 2363 2364 ... 8167