Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2358 2359 [2360] 2361 2362 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449817 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35385 on: August 17, 2011, 05:18:25 am »

Eh, I have my share of emotional problems, but I play the part of a shoulder to cry on well.

I was very depressed in high school, and turned to self harm, so if anything that is something I am able to help with.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35386 on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:26 am »

I tend to be attracted to competence, energy, empathy, and genuine good will. It doesn't matter if someone is gentle or aggressive, impulsive or laid back, or whatever... just so long as they have dreams, the drive to move toward them, and a good heart and mind guiding them. A sharp wit, an ability to mentally dance around, and an inquisitive mind are huge turn-ons, though.

Anyway, a tangential word of advice:
Dating someone because they can be a fixer-upper "project" for you is a terrible idea; it disrespects the person and their troubles, and carries undertones of exploitation of vulnerability. If you date someone whom you want to "help change", then you probably don't love them for who they are, but rather want something else, and are trying to mold them toward that ideal. You're better off looking for someone else. Helping people through rough times is a good, kind thing to do; if you want to do that, though, you're better off doing so as a friend, lest your best interests and theirs get muddled. Moreover, make sure that a single-minded desire to help someone you care about out isn't a way of avoiding dealing with your own life issues. It's a common trap, but an insidious one.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:22:03 am by Solifuge »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35387 on: August 17, 2011, 05:25:42 am »

Anyway, a tangential word of advice:
Dating someone because they can be a fixer-upper "project" for you is a terrible idea; -snip-

Eeyup. And there are countless other terrible ideas as well when it comes to relationships... did I already mention a former classmate who attempted to patch his social insecurity by wooing every girl on our class... in sequence and preferential order?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35388 on: August 17, 2011, 05:31:17 am »

did I already mention a former classmate who attempted to patch his social insecurity by wooing every girl on our class... in sequence and preferential order?

Bahahaha! Great fun. Ok, nothing good will come of it, but if your not seriously looking for a relationship, only awesome things that friends joke about for years to come can happen!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35389 on: August 17, 2011, 05:38:43 am »

Erm, sorry, but I'm not the type of person to exploit others. If anything, my attitude leaves me prone for being exploited, which has already happened on several occasions.
Furthermore I wouldn't change anbody against their will or form them into a shape that I desire.

I'm perfecly aware that these kind of relationships end in tears more often than not. I've seen it happen. I've been there several times in the role of a close friend.
Still, I can't imagine myself in any other kind of relationship. Lack of self-confidence, no feeling of self-worth simply won't allow me to see myself as a person worthy of love by regular standards.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:40:50 am by Mindmaker »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35390 on: August 17, 2011, 05:41:23 am »

Adding to Soli's note of good advice: It is things like that that mildly extrude a creepy as all hell vibe as well, even if you have the best intentions. Besides, people are attracted to confidence. And if you don't have it, fake it until you do.

It explains this popular phenomenon.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35391 on: August 17, 2011, 05:43:49 am »

did I already mention a former classmate who attempted to patch his social insecurity by wooing every girl on our class... in sequence and preferential order?

Bahahaha! Great fun. Ok, nothing good will come of it, but if your not seriously looking for a relationship, only awesome things that friends joke about for years to come can happen!

Yeah, it has certain comical elements, and that's basically something that would happen in some sitcom, but it was almost tragedy back then. The first few girls were unimpressed (he wasn't popular enough), then one actually started a short "relationship" with the guy that caused a peak of joy as it started and a valley of pain as it ended, and then the rest of the girls became increasingly uninterested as it became obvious that the guy was desperate and increasingly angry because they were so low on his preference list.

The guy was really down afterwards, having lost what little social approval he had previously held. He told me later that he had contemplated suicide during the ordeal.

I don't really mind being single - it's way better than being in an unsatisfying relationship...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35392 on: August 17, 2011, 06:08:58 am »

To add to the topic at hand:

I fear that I'll never 'find someone'... though, I'm not particularly upset about it. It's just that I can't realistically see myself even being attracted to anyone for longer than a little while.

Compound that with a wild fear of commitment... I seriously just want to keep to myself for the time being...

And then finish it off with a years and years subconscious training that romantic feelings =  hell of consternation and fear, and I'm very turned off at the prospect of even approaching women.

I'll stop now, this is one of the few things that trigger for me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35393 on: August 17, 2011, 06:33:27 am »

I wish faking confidence were that easy  ::)
The only times I manage to appear somewhat confident are, when interacting with women I'm not even remotely interested in, or being surrounded by my trusted group of friends.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35394 on: August 17, 2011, 10:25:11 am »

My mom kept talking to me about how I have no aspirations and am totally apathetic about the world for an hour last night, how I don't have any friends, ect. She also said she's going to stop me from reading those 'Japanese comic books' and playing 'silly games on the Internet' if I don't do anything 'worthwhile with (my) time'.

Firstly, just because I do not speak to you about them doesn't mean I don't do anything, and if you actually looked you'd see that I HAVE been doing much more lately/interacting with people. Secondly, it's the summer break. What else am I supposed to do during the summer? It's not like I can go join some clubs or anything right now.

Also, during said conversation, I sort of scraped the skin on the back of my hand raw. Hurts worse than a sunburn.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35395 on: August 17, 2011, 10:29:33 am »

Back when I was a young lad (younger than now, that is) I had serious confidence issues. I tried to impress people and tried to make friends. That didn't work.

When I started studying computers for real I realized that I was good at that (got my cutie mark and so on) at it didn't take me long to find friends who were also fascinated by computers and technology. Then, making friends even outside the computing circles started happening naturally. My confidence issues have been history for years now.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35396 on: August 17, 2011, 11:08:02 am »

This Freshman that stalked me all last year (I am correct in using the word 'stalk' here. She has followed me around, very-close-to-forced me to borrow her books, and joined the one club where I did not have to deal with people annoying me to death, and in same club SAT IN THE SAME DESK AS MYSELF.) apparently heard from a friend who was eavesdropping me talking to a friend of mine about her, and now she's angry...and I still have a book she 'lent' me.

...I think I'll just stop talking to people all together, alright? I am just going to hope that she leaves anime club now, and never speaks to me again.

Why am I such a horrible person?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35397 on: August 17, 2011, 12:24:51 pm »

Nobodies home again.  Hrrrmmm.  Come on parents come home earlier today.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35398 on: August 17, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »

I started sprinting up a slight hill when I  go for my walks. I would keep on going until I couldn't run anymore, which was when I became overwhelmed with pain. I did that about four or five times. Turns out running until your organs feel like they are being torn apart is a bad idea lol. I'm incredibly sore today, I can't walk around without moving like a old man whos been kicked in the groin :(. At least I'm starting to loosen up after moving around for awhile.

On the subject of ones preferences in mates: I would say the minimum I would want would be someone (female) with an open mind, who's intelligent, and knowledgeable. I would say at least average physical attractiveness too but I noticed that its value tends to diminishes for me as I get to know the person better. That factor is pretty random actually. Everything else is just a positive or a negative to me then. Positive things can be all over the place for me honestly. Things from sharing my mental issues, being able to beat me in a fight, and eccentricity to normal things like being independent, supportive, and sharing my interests. Negative for me is pretty standard, though it may lack a few things most people would stick in it. Its not worth going into this as most of it is obvious, like being abusive toward me.

In all honesty though the chances of me finding someone who would like me (this is the major problem lol) and meet my requirements would be about the same as the chances of Frosty the Snowman surviving in hell.

Well that was a fun tangent. Time to get back to work.
My personality profile.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35399 on: August 17, 2011, 03:10:47 pm »

I just realized the reason that all the basic piano programs won't work for me for one specific reason: My keyboard can only input three keystrokes at any given moment. :(
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 ... 2358 2359 [2360] 2361 2362 ... 8167