Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2354 2355 [2356] 2357 2358 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448975 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35325 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:18 pm »

I feel pretty pointless about college too and I'm only two weeks away  :P  I just want to do what I enjoy but I find myself doing everything I'm suppose to do which I find marginally less enjoyable.  However, I tend to find myself less stressed out now because I've firmly decided that whatever decision I make is the right choice.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35326 on: August 16, 2011, 02:06:43 pm »

What am I supposed to do?

Two things.  One, pick a degree that you know you'll always be interested in.  Not what sounds good, or employable, or interesting, what you know you'll never get sick of.  Two, keep going, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks until you've been there enough for it to matter.

And check your grades, you might be pleasantly surprised.  Even if not, you'll know what you have to work with.  Every college student who isn't a valedictorian goes through what you're going through.  You have to find your fix eventually, but more than anything, just remember to never stop trying.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35327 on: August 16, 2011, 02:07:45 pm »

I had a dream about looking for Professor Poland, but I couldn't find him no matter where I looked.

I wish my life could just be simple.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35328 on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:33 pm »

Toon: College will give you a chance to get out from under whatever family crap is dragging you down and experience more of life. That is very much a good thing, no matter what else happens.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35329 on: August 16, 2011, 03:16:48 pm »

One, pick a degree that you know you'll always be interested in.  Not what sounds good, or employable, or interesting, what you know you'll never get sick of.
I have no idea.

I was told that I should try many different subjects in my first few years. I was also told that I should get required classes for every subject out of the way. There are things I am talented at but cannot do due to crippling doubts about my abilities.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35330 on: August 16, 2011, 03:17:14 pm »

today's training exam went badly. I'm rather demoralized.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35331 on: August 16, 2011, 03:26:44 pm »

Other things that lead to black magic, according to my uncle:
  • Meditation
  • Yoga
  • Eastern Martial Arts
And that's not all he told me...
God, I'm exhausted.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35332 on: August 16, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »

Obviously the easiest way to not taint your soul is to sell it before it's too late!

Deal?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35333 on: August 16, 2011, 03:30:19 pm »

Will there be cake?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35334 on: August 16, 2011, 03:33:03 pm »

• Meditation
Given that Christians are told to meditate in the Bible, this seems even more out-there than the other two options. And the other two options are also very out-there. Both yoga and eastern martial arts may have references to religions, but bodily movements are entirely separate from philosophies.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35335 on: August 16, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »

Dunno if I'm happy or sad.

I seem to be gearing back up to go into heavy-duty 12-hours-or-more-a-day study mode.  We'll see how it goes.

On the other hand, if I'm at the top of the class as a lazy-ass muffin, who knows what will happen when I'm really working at it?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #35336 on: August 16, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »

Other things that lead to black magic, according to my uncle:
  • Meditation
  • Yoga
  • Eastern Martial Arts
And that's not all he told me...
God, I'm exhausted.
Is that all? I can think of at least a dozen more items on The Fundie List of Soul Corruption(tm). A hundred more if I tried hard. Your uncle is either holding out on some for the rest of the week or has a truly limited imagination.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35337 on: August 16, 2011, 03:37:56 pm »

... are cookies a good enough substitute?

• Meditation
Given that Christians are told to meditate in the Bible, this seems even more out-there than the other two options. And the other two options are also very out-there. Both yoga and eastern martial arts may have references to religions, but bodily movements are entirely separate from philosophies.
Yeah, sounds more like a bad excuse for plain xenophobia.

On the other hand, if I'm at the top of the class as a lazy-ass muffin, who knows what will happen when I'm really working at it?
In my experience, that's when your marks are going down like a rock in the sea.

But then again, cause and effect might be reversed there.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35338 on: August 16, 2011, 03:39:18 pm »

I had a dream about looking for Professor Poland, but I couldn't find him no matter where I looked.

I wish my life could just be simple.

Life can be as simple as you want to make it, but it takes courage to let go of things.

Looking for Professor Poland makes me think of some sort of geopolitical game of Cluedo. Is he in the conservatory?

Dunno if I'm happy or sad.

I seem to be gearing back up to go into heavy-duty 12-hours-or-more-a-day study mode.  We'll see how it goes.

Do you have a set goal or just studying because it's what you're supposed to do?

If you're bored why not learn Vertex Shader Programming? Or 3D model rigging for animation? Those two skills are needed.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35339 on: August 16, 2011, 03:41:36 pm »

I'm really not arguing with him, Willfor. At least as long as he isn't attacking me personally.
If I do, it inevitably leads to him quoting the Bible and anything I could retort would be considered as a personal insult/blasphemy/proof that I'm misguided.

It's the only thing left, he can derive hapiness from. I have no right to interfere.

Is that all? I can think of at least a dozen more items on The Fundie List of Soul Corruption(tm). A hundred more if I tried hard. Your uncle is either holding out on some for the rest of the week or has a truly limited imagination.

Oh, I only listed the ones that were new to me.
We worked off the generic list with premartial sex, alcohol, drugs, communism blah blah blah.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:45:31 pm by Mindmaker »
Pages: 1 ... 2354 2355 [2356] 2357 2358 ... 8167