Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2348 2349 [2350] 2351 2352 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443824 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35235 on: August 15, 2011, 01:38:11 pm »

"Se taire" is the unconjugated French "shut up," so every time Harle or someone else says it, I die a little inside.

And yeah, I was wondering if I'd just been having hardware failures or something that killed voice acting.  But I should do the Vader thing, this is true.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35236 on: August 15, 2011, 01:41:32 pm »

Oh, right, they are pretty bad with languages. ANGELUS ERRARE MEANS "ANGEL TO ERR", APPROXIMATELY*. THEY COULD HAVE AT LEAST CONJUGATED IT IN ANY WAY AT ALL.

*If I'm actually wrong on that one, I'll laugh, although I think I'm being generous with that translation.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35237 on: August 15, 2011, 02:05:54 pm »

I've finally got some work from the agency I signed up to, but I strongly disagree with their frankly despicable business practices and the way they treat customers and staff. But I need the money, and I can't find another job.

What wins, conscience or my genuine need for some cash?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35238 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:48 pm »

I've finally got some work from the agency I signed up to, but I strongly disagree with their frankly despicable business practices and the way they treat customers and staff. But I need the money, and I can't find another job.

With enough cash, you don't need a conscience.

Ok seriously, do what you have to do to survive and keep looking for an alternative.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35239 on: August 15, 2011, 02:26:25 pm »

Unless you're literally starving to death, I'd say to go with your conscience. It's just as important to be able to live with yourself as it is to generate money for said living.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35240 on: August 15, 2011, 02:27:55 pm »

With enough cash, you don't need a conscience.

Ok seriously, do what you have to do to survive and keep looking for an alternative.

My big problem is that firstly, I'm a paying member of an organisation that believes in being honest to the customer and serving full measure (which this job actually prohibits!) and secondly, I've been described as a very principled and outspoken (or opinionated and argumentative(or arrogant and aggressive)) person in certain contexts. I'll work as long as I can, but I know that eventually something will push me over the edge, and although I have a fairly long fuse, my temper is somewhat like an on/off switch, with a tiny interim of passive-aggressive grouchiness.

They also don't give non-smokers breaks.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35241 on: August 15, 2011, 02:31:56 pm »

Contact the labor department. With very few exceptions (single operator service stations mostly), you have to be allowed breaks. And like I said, keep looking for alternatives. Try to find a different job, and don't bother telling your currently employer about it until you find one.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35242 on: August 15, 2011, 02:32:09 pm »

A shitty job is still an entry point to a better job. Ironically your chances of being hired go up if you already have, or recently had a job, mainly on account of contacts, an improved schedule and because the guy that hires you can see you've got a schedule and can actually do work. So unless it's the kind of job that's going to tie you down because nobody else would hire you, I'd take it.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35243 on: August 15, 2011, 02:43:35 pm »

A shitty job is still an entry point to a better job. Ironically your chances of being hired go up if you already have, or recently had a job, mainly on account of contacts, an improved schedule and because the guy that hires you can see you've got a schedule and can actually do work. So unless it's the kind of job that's going to tie you down because nobody else would hire you, I'd take it.

It's casual work and it actually pays fairly well for a shitty student-y job, and I do need the money, because I'm eating into my savings, and I get the minumum student loan next year anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35244 on: August 15, 2011, 02:44:54 pm »

It's excusable if you're in college. College students have to work all kinds of shitty jobs. I think some industries (like telemarketing and pole dancing) exist primarily just to provide employment for broke college students.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35245 on: August 15, 2011, 02:52:50 pm »

I suppose the people I'm serving are drunken gamblers drinking Fosters, so they practically deserve it.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35246 on: August 15, 2011, 03:11:24 pm »

Received a toady warning >_>
Not my best day.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35247 on: August 15, 2011, 03:18:33 pm »

Aw, crap.
And now that my uncle has discovered that I own a tarot deck, the next few days will be about "the dangers of opening oneself to black magic".
I hope I'll manage to stay reasonable, when faced with massive amounts of bible-logic.

Tarot or French Tarot?

Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35248 on: August 15, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »

SotS 2 is coming out some five weeks from now and i am pretty much bored with anything i have now i year for a new game, but i have no idea what i would play, any suggestions for a good strategy game, something with an interesting take on some of the mechanics or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35249 on: August 15, 2011, 04:23:07 pm »

Wait, Truean, you hired a PI?

Woman of steel!

Thank you Vector. :)

[Blush] I appreciate that, truly, except we both know I'm not steel. Thank you though, all the same. Process server/PI... I guess these are just things around me, honestly....

She helped me a lot emotionally in college. I love her, as much as I can given I don't like women. I am afraid I will have to repay her kindness by doing unbearable--to both of us--things, hopefully not in court.
I still don't entirely understand her motives, how she figured out to give the money back, or why she did.
I feel horrible that this is how things are and horrible that I kept insisting to myself that I solve it alone. Hello pride, my second oldest sin.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:33:06 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2348 2349 [2350] 2351 2352 ... 8167