Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2329 2330 [2331] 2332 2333 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450421 times)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #34950 on: August 12, 2011, 03:01:15 pm »

It's the DF superiority complex without the patented Bay12 humility.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34951 on: August 12, 2011, 03:07:45 pm »

I'm not overthinking the situation.

If I say "please don't appropriate a trans identity for yourself for no reason," the person in question will say "how do you know I'm not being serious, you insensitive bigot?"

If I say "Oh, come down to the lower forums!  We have a lot of trans support," hopefully they'll learn that some people actually take this shit seriously.

No, I don't play DF.

Also, I don't have any claim to being a "quiet genius," Remalle.  I'm loud and educated, nothing more.  Let's see if waiting longer will make friends suddenly materialize.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34952 on: August 12, 2011, 03:09:30 pm »

If I say "please don't appropriate a trans identity for yourself for no reason," the person in question will say "how do you know I'm not being serious, you insensitive bigot?"

But why do you assume that? Is there a post I missed, or is that something you believe to be an automatic consequence of potentially coming across as antitrans to a person who claims to be so? Or something else entirely?

Oh, and friends do tend to a materialize sometimes, don't worry! That's how I've made friends with one of the cooler people I know.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:17:37 pm by freeformschooler »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34953 on: August 12, 2011, 03:10:31 pm »

I'm not overthinking the situation.

If I say "Oh, come down to the lower forums!  We have a lot of trans support," hopefully they'll learn that some people actually take this shit seriously.

No, I don't play DF.

Also, I don't have any claim to being a "quiet genius," Remalle.  I'm loud and educated, nothing more.  Let's see if waiting longer will make friends suddenly materialize.

[offers to materialize]

I would be honored to offer my humble assistance Vector.... We both know they can't quite make that argument against me [gently tries not to blush]. What are girlfriends for? :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #34954 on: August 12, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »

Let's see if waiting longer will make friends suddenly materialize.
I need a teleporter so badly. It would be the best response here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34955 on: August 12, 2011, 03:17:33 pm »

I assume that because most bigots are strikingly unoriginal in the patterns of their arguments and defenses, and the statement was weak enough that bringing out the entire army of wrath would be inappropriate.

If he's a misogynist, then I'm really lucky.  He'll want so badly to get away from the negative female identity he's willingly signed into (as part of showing that he is Brave and Masculine, and won't cave during Awkward Chicken) that his appropriation of trans-ness will collapse fairly soon.

And no, thanks for the offers of help, but I think this is going to be fine as-is.  He's completely stuck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34956 on: August 12, 2011, 03:24:04 pm »

While that's very true, I tend to strive for a no-assumption policy, because it makes for better arguments. If I willingly assigned myself an identity in a way that was demeaning to the people who take such an identity seriously, and didn't know how demeaning it was of me, and someone told me that was an inappropriate thing to do, I would genuinely want to know why, instead of assuming in turn they were being bigots.

Hanlon's Razor, after all, even when it doesn't look like the case.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34957 on: August 12, 2011, 03:25:12 pm »

Le quote. For anyone curious
I'm a supermodel sexy girl trapped in a fat, sweaty, neckberded nerds body.
*Hugs*

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34958 on: August 12, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »

I assume that because most bigots are strikingly unoriginal in the patterns of their arguments and defenses, and the statement was weak enough that bringing out the entire army of wrath would be inappropriate.

If he's a misogynist, then I'm really lucky.  He'll want so badly to get away from the negative female identity he's willingly signed into (as part of showing that he is Brave and Masculine, and won't cave during Awkward Chicken) that his appropriation of trans-ness will collapse fairly soon.

And no, thanks for the offers of help, but I think this is going to be fine as-is.  He's completely stuck.

[nod nod] I was swimming in denial for years about this though. Strangely even though I had a steady, serious boyfriend, I couldn't admit to myself I liked men, though I ever so obviously did and do :). It took years but I slowly became privately ok with the idea and all that stupid shame greatly declined and is still declining.

I don't think I could've ever made the type of comment that was quoted though.... It would've have been consistent with the denial. Even then, most transsexuals I know are afraid and not nearly so brash.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34959 on: August 12, 2011, 03:55:07 pm »

Why is it so many people I know are having internet problems lately!? And when I say internet problems I mean their router completely stops functioning properly. I've had to help fix at least 3 withing the past month, and know of at least 10 others.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34960 on: August 12, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »

Why is it so many people I know are having internet problems lately!? And when I say internet problems I mean their router completely stops functioning properly. I've had to help fix at least 3 withing the past month, and know of at least 10 others.
You bunch over there got crap routers, maybe?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34961 on: August 12, 2011, 03:57:36 pm »

Maybe. Our main provider within 100 miles of where I live is AT&T. That could be part of the problem.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34962 on: August 12, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

I suddenly feel, half heartedly, offended on behalf of the upper forum members. I only recently started posting down here with any frequency, then again the memes bother me too. There are some threads of quality up top for anyone into the game.

You bunch over there got crap routers, maybe?
Not just them *grumbles*.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34963 on: August 12, 2011, 04:24:46 pm »

I was posting that from the position of someone who lurks up there a lot.
And I'll make the point that questions generally get answered fairly quickly, but then degenerate into meme spewing.
*Hugs*

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34964 on: August 12, 2011, 04:30:00 pm »

I quit a while ago. I figured out how to play DF, and DF is one of the few games I make sure it's a pretty private play through, as most of the time I play any other single player game there's another person there with me doing a running commentary. The dur hur hur magma thing drives me crazy. It was funny once.  If you're suggesting defense or trap advice, by all means, suggest it, but jegus fuck I don't need to hear about it every single post.
Pages: 1 ... 2329 2330 [2331] 2332 2333 ... 8167