Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2320 2321 [2322] 2323 2324 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447293 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #34815 on: August 11, 2011, 01:03:03 am »

Oh... Shit... I think I just insulted my mother's religious beliefs.

FUUUUUUU-
I accidentally did that when I first told my mother that I became an atheist. She wanted an explanation and I ended up getting smacked, turns out comparing God to Santa Claus was a bad way to explain it.
When I told my mom I didn't want to celebrate Christmas anymore because it was against my lack of religion, she was floored. I was 10.  :P

Well, if you're celebrating it for religious reasons primarily, you would be among the vast minority of (at least) children, so that might have been it too :P
My mom has previously stated that my family's celebration of Christmas is "secular".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34816 on: August 11, 2011, 01:05:04 am »

I mean, I'm sure the result would be different for set theorists vs. algebraic topologists.  I'm just not sure where the line is...

Sad of the day is that I want money so I can give people presents.  Not so I can ingratiate myself to them or something.  I just want to be able to give people gifts.  Nice, non-used copies of books or something would be really nice.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34817 on: August 11, 2011, 01:12:35 am »

I also feel for lack of friends. My one best friend is lazy, antisocial, and self-absorbed to the extreme. I want him to message me, but after sending two of'em, he just forgot that I'm here. The bastard!

And goddamnit, I want a new chair so badly. I replaced the horribly atrocious one I was sitting in, and replaced it with one that's... better? I don't know, it's so damn awkward. It's raised up so high, and I can't adjust the elevation, and instead of restricting my reclining, I can't recline at all without risk of falling backwards. I need to have my arm or leg wrapped around something to prevent myself from falling over. Damnit! My old chair was torn to shreds, but it didn't have these irritating problems.

and my back still hurts!

/more thoughts.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34818 on: August 11, 2011, 01:21:47 am »

I mean, I'm sure the result would be different for set theorists vs. algebraic topologists.  I'm just not sure where the line is...

Sad of the day is that I want money so I can give people presents.  Not so I can ingratiate myself to them or something.  I just want to be able to give people gifts.  Nice, non-used copies of books or something would be really nice.

You'll forgive me for not knowing the difference between those two kinds :P

As for the sad, I know the feeling. I try to salve my feelings of guilt by doing some fundraising for a charity or two :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34819 on: August 11, 2011, 01:29:34 am »

Set theorists: known for extreme logic
Algebraic topologists: known for extreme bullshitting

Still mathematicians, though.  Politicians wouldn't manage to penetrate the liquid.  They'd touch it and be flung into the stars.

Yeah, maybe fundraising sometime.  Right now I'm busy with the studying things so that I can be a good professor.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34820 on: August 11, 2011, 01:51:49 am »

My parents never made a claim that Santa was real, nor did they do up any gift tags to say "Santa Claus" until it could be used jokingly, so that neither my brother nor I could use the "My parents lied to me about all these other things, maybe God isn't real" excuse. No easter bunny, no tooth fairy, etc. Luckily we still got the stuff, otherwise I would be extremely annoyed at anyone who ever made such comparisons for robbing me of childhood treats via proxy. There are children out there who are not as lucky, though.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34821 on: August 11, 2011, 01:56:19 am »

Wow.  I am really unfond of the xkcd forums.

I don't go over there often, but there's a kind of shocking amount of vitriol happening.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34822 on: August 11, 2011, 02:22:15 am »

:/ Yeah, I feel the same way.

I wish I could stop having late night waking nightmares or imagining the dead, un-born, and various incorporeal manifestations wandering around.

It makes reality a tad unnerving.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34823 on: August 11, 2011, 02:41:02 am »

Man, this chair is something else. It encourages a form of lounging that makes me feel extra lazy and fat in order to prevent from teetering over. My kingdom for a comfortable chair man, really.

:/ Yeah, I feel the same way.

I wish I could stop having late night waking nightmares or imagining the dead, un-born, and various incorporeal manifestations wandering around.

It makes reality a tad unnerving.

May I ask what an un-born is? Like, literally someone that hasn't been born yet, or ever?

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34824 on: August 11, 2011, 02:55:28 am »

Spoiler: Personality test. (click to show/hide)

Even a computer can tell that I'm messed up.

70% dependency. ;_; Yes, it's true, I just wouldn't admit it to anyone...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34825 on: August 11, 2011, 02:59:56 am »

May I ask what an un-born is? Like, literally someone that hasn't been born yet, or ever?

Yes. Beings that have yet to exist, that may or may never be born into this realm of existence based upon the law of Dependent Origination.

They are innumerable and tell fascinating stories - not all require a physical birth to leave their mark on our physical reality.

...In another day and age I would have been burned at the stake as a heretic or made a helluva shaman.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34826 on: August 11, 2011, 03:05:11 am »

Oh Kael, I hope you don't think yourself too safe from being burnt at the stake, gotta be ready after all.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34827 on: August 11, 2011, 03:42:34 am »

I could warm up a stake for you, if you wanted :P Vector, I only go on there if there is a particular comic I don't understand. Other than that... Almost like we're the good, moderate forum. On one side, you have the minecraft forums (by reputation) and on the other, you have the XKCD ones.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34828 on: August 11, 2011, 03:47:46 am »

And that's why I play with fire and train the mind - To fear no darkness or pain.

I've been in a strange mood the last few days.

It's a dangerous, subversive idea to this society we've built. The idea is one of the unborn. The potential. That which may never be.

Start with a physical birth. We can work towards this, to fall in love, create something, a someone, with your selection out of many that you meet. All that is needed is that catalytic spark of attraction, activation energy between two beings that causes an immensely complicated biochemical organic compounded mess that we call making love, with the ability to bring a new being into being. At that point, anything can happen and they can become anyone according to the rules that we, as a society, have granted them.

But much of reality has to do with the concept of birth and death beyond the physical level. Who I am now is not who I will be years from now. Who I am at this very moment is not even who I will be days, hours, mere seconds from this fleeting moment in time. During the course of our "lives", every cell in our physical body will be replaced countless times over. What else do we have to call the self other than the consciousness of who we perceive ourselves to be?

I change. I am sad. I die. I am reborn happier. I am weak. I die. I strive to become stronger. And so through the passage of infinite lives spanning our misconception of time, we bring beings, perceptions of the self, into existence that have never existed, and we dream of those that may never be. We bring into existence new paradigms, new ways of looking at the universe, into a multitude of different personal universes that we create. There is a you within the realms of possibility: happy, cheerful, in love with life. There is a you within the universe of hope, a potentiality to overcome as many obstacles in your way as you can struggle over, climbing tenuously - as long as you take those steps in the right direction.

As for the right direction - study yourself. Study the world around you. Make your own decisions. Imagine where you'll be at the end of your life if you live every day as though you will die tomorrow. Live in every moment as if the entire existence of the universe - billions of years, cause and effect, life springing from the lifeless, evolving complexity, creatures making decisions, all the way up to humans - struggling, living, dying, loving, suffering, all of it happening just to bring you to this one moment, in this place, with these people. And from here, you can make a choice, to see if you want to bring the unborn whispering to life, to create your legacy, to live how you want to live. Without suffering and with happiness, bringing happiness where ever you go - or to suffer "lives of quiet desperation" within yourself, because you never opened your eyes to see the beauty that is all around.

It gets better. It gets addicting. The idea grants us power. It takes root and spreads from person to person. "Once the individuals are gathered together, a sort of electricity is generated from their closeness and quickly launches them to an extraordinary height of exaltation. Every emotion expressed resonates without interference in consciousnesses that are wide open to external impressions, each one echoing the others. The initial impulse is thereby amplified and echoed, like an avalanche that grows as it goes along." That the heavens are within our grasp, because we can create it, utilising our minds and our abilities. As we think, we do. We can.

That is the story of potential. Your potential, as a human being.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:52:30 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34829 on: August 11, 2011, 03:50:16 am »

How is that dangerous to society? Admittedly I don't get out much, but isn't that the popular view today?
Pages: 1 ... 2320 2321 [2322] 2323 2324 ... 8167