Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2306 2307 [2308] 2309 2310 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473555 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #34605 on: August 08, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »

Welp, big spooky world straddling financial ballyhoo is now effecting the personal lives of people I care about.

It also means that all the fucking around I did in the last seven months when I was supposed to be finding a job really was fucking around.  I can't shake the feeling that I've missed any chance for years of getting a real income.  In a weird way, this actually gives me some confidence, because now I'm off the hook for being a deadbeat so I'd don't have to worry about impressing people anymore.  But that just makes me more sad, because I hate the feeling of being able to meet new friends (and girls) just because everyone's been brought down to my level.  Let alone that there's a part of me that's almost thankful for being absolved of responsibility for my own future since I'm probably fucked no matter what.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34606 on: August 08, 2011, 04:34:03 pm »

Welp, big spooky world straddling financial ballyhoo is now effecting the personal lives of people I care about.

It also means that all the fucking around I did in the last seven months when I was supposed to be finding a job really was fucking around.  I can't shake the feeling that I've missed any chance for years of getting a real income.  In a weird way, this actually gives me some confidence, because now I'm off the hook for being a deadbeat so I'd don't have to worry about impressing people anymore.  But that just makes me more sad, because I hate the feeling of being able to meet new friends (and girls) just because everyone's been brought down to my level.  Let alone that there's a part of me that's almost thankful for being absolved of responsibility for my own future since I'm probably fucked no matter what.

Don't take life too seriously, dudebro. No one gets out alive.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34607 on: August 08, 2011, 04:35:57 pm »

Think about it this way, Aqizzar. You may be broke, but you're still the mighty Baron of an obscure website.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34608 on: August 08, 2011, 04:41:10 pm »

As for depression, I occasionally get super pissed off at myself because I haven't done anything, and proceed to do the shit out of everything until I pass out. In short, I don't get depressed, I get MAD. And it's actually pretty productive.

Doesn't help that I'm also very, very genetically predisposed.  I have two very close relatives who have been admitted to mental hospitals, and probably three quarters of my family (if not all of it) has been cripplingly depressed at one point or another.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34609 on: August 08, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »

Carpal's killing me today
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #34610 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:28 pm »

I've reached a point where my greatest hope is that this company's hiring managers will get so irritated by the huge mass of applications I'm sending in (essentially one for every job position posted) that they will give me a job just to get me to quit bothering them.

I look forward to great success.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34611 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:36 pm »

Carpal's killing me today

Might be worth getting a trackball if its your mouse arm that is hurting.  Mine cleared up when I switched.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34612 on: August 08, 2011, 05:35:03 pm »

I hear you on that, and that's part of the reason why I'm going on to fight my way through grad school instead of hippying and bumming myself through life as I have done.

You mean one day I may be responsible for helping take care of other people besides myself? Hell, I'm perfectly happy disappearing into the horizon burning bridges as I explore this world, surviving on nothing but my own wit and goodwill and the goodwill of strangers. I have no predilections that this is actually a tenable quality for a stationary, family-based lifestyle. But at the very least, I know that I will be fine no matter what happens. I just want to be able to help others too, and that is what hurts the most. I'm already okay with my lot in life. Others around me are hurting.

In the last few days, people I know had 401k drop once again like rocks. They could have bought a new car, retired for years in South East Asia - it's fairly insane how much worth simply vanished. Pile that on top of the people struggling, going to food banks. :|

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34613 on: August 08, 2011, 06:04:15 pm »

Slightly sadder now: Army may be brought in to stop the rioting.

YAY MARTIAL LAW
I had not seen any news for a couple of days but I spent the day catching up on all this. It's really awful. I must admit I'd not heard mention of the army until I read your post.

Edit to add: According to BBC news it's spreading as I type this.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:08:41 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34614 on: August 08, 2011, 06:13:17 pm »

I am about to have to go clean out the disgusting remains of a few rotten things from our fridge/kitchen.

On the other hand, I've been putting this off for a while, and once I've done it I can concentrate on not wasting any more food.  That will be really good.

... On the other other hand, I've been cleaning my room for the past bit, and once I finish with the rotten-food-removal, I will have to prepare for some vocabulary quizzes, cook dinner, take a neighborhood walk, and write an essay.  Then go to bed early so I can continue with operation "get Vector's life out of the shithole" tomorrow morning.

Feh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34615 on: August 08, 2011, 07:34:31 pm »

Ugh, I feel like shit tonight. Just... God. This is so embarrassing, I honestly wish something would strike me dead right now. *sigh* I may have to post a topic in life advice over this if I can solve the issue myself using what I find the internet. The whole thing is ridiculous.
My personality profile.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34616 on: August 08, 2011, 07:53:01 pm »

For the past few times I've gotten the Really Big Chicken Sandwich combo at Jack in the Box, the chicken was an actual slab of whole chicken meat.

I got one today, and now it's the same crap they put in their $1 chicken burgers.

Very disappointed.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34617 on: August 08, 2011, 08:07:26 pm »

I am about to have to go clean out the disgusting remains of a few rotten things from our fridge/kitchen.

On the other hand, I've been putting this off for a while, and once I've done it I can concentrate on not wasting any more food.  That will be really good.

... On the other other hand, I've been cleaning my room for the past bit, and once I finish with the rotten-food-removal, I will have to prepare for some vocabulary quizzes, cook dinner, take a neighborhood walk, and write an essay.  Then go to bed early so I can continue with operation "get Vector's life out of the shithole" tomorrow morning.

Feh.

Plus side: Berkeley is really nice to walk through.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34618 on: August 08, 2011, 08:08:41 pm »

That's true.  I live in a good part of it, too.

Just eating an evening honey sammich before I get back to work.  It's nice to relax a little.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34619 on: August 08, 2011, 08:27:07 pm »

The riots have spread to Birmingham, Liverpool, and tentatively to Bristol. Some reports from Manchester but the police deny this.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:08:31 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 2306 2307 [2308] 2309 2310 ... 8167