Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2270 2271 [2272] 2273 2274 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452698 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #34065 on: July 31, 2011, 07:38:00 pm »

Dear German textbook:

Try this bullshit again and I am going to fucking light you on fire.  I cannot determine "agreement, pain, empathy, disgust, surprise, or admiration" from six interjections, just from rising and falling tones.

I hate you.  A lot.  Especially because I can't do this exercise and have to cheat by looking ahead at the segment that gives written context.

EDITED TO ADD: ON FUCKING FIRE BECAUSE YOU DECIDED THE HUMILIATION NEEDED TO KEEP GOING FOR ANOTHER EXERCISE AFTERWARDS

I think you're starting to get the idea, in Denmark we call German an angry language made for cursing and yelling :b The german stereotype includes sausages and loud voices.

... rage/sad : FFFFFFUUUU Open Office crashed after a big amount of work on my new conlang project ;_; I had just finished declension of female gender nouns and started on pronouns.
Save more often!

Blah blah :b Hindsight is the best sight, right?

You have my sympathies Lysabild what with me experiencing similar due to a powercut the other week.

:< It's a bad thing, especially because you've just put the work OUT of your mind, so it's HARD to remember it again.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34066 on: July 31, 2011, 07:48:11 pm »

I'm getting revenge on the textbook by having all of my "emotional" sentences contain mathematical information.

"Au weia!  Warum denkst du, dass 'Vier' eine zyklische Gruppe ist?"

Smallest non-cyclic group, that is :I  If you have to express pain, express it for bad math!

... Yeah, I'm beginning more and more to entertain the idea that I might be a little bit emotionally damaged.

EDIT: Great, this is also the chapter where we learn about sexism and racism.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:58:33 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34067 on: July 31, 2011, 08:00:49 pm »

... rage/sad : FFFFFFUUUU Open Office crashed after a big amount of work on my new conlang project ;_; I had just finished declension of female gender nouns and started on pronouns.
Save more often!
This reminds me of my old CAD teacher, who wired up all 30 computers in the computer lab to a switchboard. Every five to ten minutes he would switch a computer or two off. If you lost your work, you had to redo it. Also, a fun rant would ensue.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE YOUR WORK? THERE COULD BE SASQUATCHES EATING YOUR POWERLINES! A TSUNAMI COULD WIPE OUT THE DAM! I COULD SMASH YOUR COMPUTER WITH A HAMMER! (possible other words) SAVE MORE OFTEN!"

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34068 on: July 31, 2011, 08:39:53 pm »

I COULD SMASH YOUR COMPUTER WITH A HAMMER!

Er, how would saving help in that case? Otherwise a good way to reinforce a valuable lesson. I just hope you weren't using Inventor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34069 on: July 31, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »

Made myself something to eat and before sitting down to eat it managed to drop the plate smashing it and ruining the food. Now all I've got in the house is a tin of peach slices and some bread.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #34070 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:13 pm »

Made myself something to eat and before sitting down to eat it managed to drop the plate smashing it and ruining the food. Now all I've got in the house is a tin of peach slices and some bread.

Put peaches in a blender and spread it over toasted bread. You are welcome.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34071 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:49 pm »

Trade you. Can't get groceries til Friday, and all we've got is ten jars of spaghetti sauce, a few bags of chocolate chips, and three different types of cheese.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34072 on: July 31, 2011, 08:48:34 pm »

I COULD SMASH YOUR COMPUTER WITH A HAMMER!

Er, how would saving help in that case? Otherwise a good way to reinforce a valuable lesson. I just hope you weren't using Inventor.
Nah, AutoCAD. And I guess he could avoid the hard drive.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #34073 on: July 31, 2011, 08:51:09 pm »

Trade you. Can't get groceries til Friday, and all we've got is ten jars of spaghetti sauce, a few bags of chocolate chips, and three different types of cheese.

I can't recipe you out of that without some kind of carb, potatoes, rice, bread, noodles, anything. Though spaghetti sauce and cheese makes a really good starting point.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34074 on: July 31, 2011, 08:58:15 pm »

Put peaches in a blender and spread it over toasted bread. You are welcome.
Not a bad idea but I've no blender and I just ate the peaches. I also forgot to mention that I've got margarine for spreading. Luckily I just found a tin of creamed mushrooms in the bedroom (no idea how they got there) which I'm going to have on toast, as per the picture on the tin no less.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34075 on: July 31, 2011, 11:25:15 pm »

Feh.

My female lipstick-wearing friend (i.e. Thyme, not Daisy) is currently learning to cook complete Korean meals and speak Korean so that she can move to Korea with her (first) boyfriend when they graduate college.  They've been dating for less than a year.  She is 20 years old.

I don't know what smarts worse: my worry for her (significant, given that we grew up together and I have a fairly good idea of who she is) or the blow to my pride as an ugly duckling.

It's mostly my ugly duckling, non-feminine pride talking.  I can't imagine loving anyone that much.  Learning their language, yes, absolutely.  Let's not get into that, because it's a long story.  But after less than a year, preparing to move to their country?  As a 20-year-old?  Geez...

She's like the total success story of nerdy femininity or something.  Plays D&D, speaks 5 languages (Korean, English, Chinese, French, Japanese; I'm being nice in including French, though.), plays video games, knows internet culture front and back, linguistics major, possesses breasts, enjoys cleaning, enjoys dressing up femmey and looking "naturally photoshopped," enjoys spending loads of time cooking for other people, wants to have a huge brood of genius children.

What the fuck ;_;  How did this even happen.

Did I go wrong somewhere?

Everyone treating me so nicely here makes me think that I didn't do anything wrong, and I am an Okay Sort Of Gal.  That is a wonderful shield!  Really!  I can feel it chasing this off, like a windmill spinning rainbow-colored flags into the darkness.

All the same, I guess I still feel just a little bit broody.  Better go fix the vacuum cleaner or something to remind myself that I still have some useful skills.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34076 on: July 31, 2011, 11:28:16 pm »

Don't worry, I'm sure somebody will make a clone of Genghis Khan, and you can move to Mongolia with him..

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34077 on: July 31, 2011, 11:34:23 pm »

But that is just how she appears. It is extremely difficult to know a person in their entirety, and she might be hurting on the inside in a way that makes that other stuff irrelevant. Or, she might be fine on the inside and be Mrs. Prodigy. Either way, it isn't a competition and it doesn't diminish how swell you are. good god swell is an old person word I'm turning into uncle Herald
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34078 on: July 31, 2011, 11:36:21 pm »

My brother got married and moved to Switzerland when he was 19 to a girl studying to be a diplomat. They got to know eachother over watching the entire series of Star Trek. Its a risky position, but it can happen fine.

I dont totally undersand what you mean by ugly duckling pride. Is it frustraion that your own qualities and interests dont attract somebody that loves you and you love? What specific features of your friend makes this so hurtful? You listed them yeah, but why do they cause problems for your self image?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34079 on: August 01, 2011, 12:03:11 am »

... I also speak five languages (... or more if you count differently, because I've studied five more than that with some intensity, and she's barely started on a few of hers that I listed), so that part is really moot.  She's certainly no more academic prodigy than I am.  At this point, we have been in school for the same amount of time.

The main point is that it is so weird to see someone who has straight blond hair, blue-eyed, and enjoys every.  single.  bit.  of housewifeness.  And.  Yeah... someone who will happily defer to others to open pickle jars or do mechanical stuff, rather than insisting on learning to do it herself.  How strange.  A mythical entity.

Gonna go find my Genghis Kahn or something :I

I dont totally undersand what you mean by ugly duckling pride. Is it frustraion that your own qualities and interests dont attract somebody that loves you and you love? What specific features of your friend makes this so hurtful? You listed them yeah, but why do they cause problems for your self image?

I don't even know what's up with me at this point.

I proudly, stubbornly hold onto the part of myself that absolutely loves sweeping around in black clothing or a nice waistcoat, and has a bizarre flair for the theatrical and gaudy.  I have no logical reason to think that frizzy brown hair is inferior to straight blond, or that I'm any less lovable for being a girl who is relentlessly good at things.  Even cleaning and sometimes cooking, though I can't say I enjoy them.  For goodness' sake, I was raised by a father who would periodically say: "Vector, fight the fascists!  Bring down the capitalist pigs!"  So I'm trying.  But it makes me weird.  And I already kind of have a surfeit of weird going on in this little economic system.

And yes, I'm frustrated because the people who love me (outside of my family--can't forget them) seem to do so for my "purity," my intellect, or my "brokenness."  I do recognize these traits in myself.  It isn't that they don't exist.

Or no, I'm also frustrated because part of me is still so cautious and terrified of being hurt, or judgmental.  I can feel that someone is wrong, really, honestly, so I don't pursue them.  I am far too young for the people I prefer.

She likes cooking and cleaning and making babies.  It's societally sanctioned as the "natural" thing for a woman to want to do.

I feel like a freak of nature.  Doesn't help that people still ask me which country I'm from, despite my accent.  Doesn't help that they still want a pedigree of ethnicities and can ask me about my sexuality flat out.  Doesn't help that I've somehow become ageless, anywhere between 12 and 40 or more.  I feel that I know who I am, very well, but to the rest of the world I am lost in a plane of infinite space and cannot be met as a human being so much as a myth or a scientific curiosity.

And I'm not going to stop what I'm doing.  It would be easier to fall back and let the friable weight of centuries take their place, and to use the fabled glass ceiling as a looking glass.  But I refuse, unequivocally; and furthermore, I refuse to apologize.

But I am really very lonely.

Pages: 1 ... 2270 2271 [2272] 2273 2274 ... 8167