Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2264 2265 [2266] 2267 2268 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449952 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #33975 on: July 31, 2011, 04:40:03 am »

I'll ask again, where does this leave the victims? Someone shanks you in the spine, crippling you for life, essentially making sure you become a talking vegetable? Don't worry, he won't do it again. ::)
Either they will move on, or they need help to understand that no amount of suffering will ever make them feel better. If somebody murders a loved one, then killing the murder doesn't make you feel better, it just leads to more blood.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #33976 on: July 31, 2011, 04:40:19 am »

Human life: I have seen enough of it to know that only a handful of lives are important. The world is overpopulated anyway.
This made me sad today.

Most lives may not be important in the sense that the person is going to affect millions of others, but every life is important in the sense that, hey, this is their one shot at it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33977 on: July 31, 2011, 04:41:12 am »

Wow, I just don't even... You have a very shallow view of human life, the human mind, the legal system, morals and human rights, all in one small post. Impressive!
Human life: I have seen enough of it to know that only a handful of lives are important. The world is overpopulated anyway.

Geez, I'm glad you're in the minority on that opinion.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33978 on: July 31, 2011, 04:44:03 am »

I'll ask again, where does this leave the victims? Someone shanks you in the spine, crippling you for life, essentially making sure you become a talking vegetable? Don't worry, he won't do it again. ::)
Either they will move on, or they need help to understand that no amount of suffering will ever make them feel better. If somebody murders a loved one, then killing the murder doesn't make you feel better, it just leads to more blood.

Indeed~
An eye for an eye, man~
Vengeance is a horrible thing that blinds and corrupts~

Anyway, it's not an issue of 'a few years in an asylum'~
It's an issue of getting them help~
Hell, many people spend the more time in a mental institution for the same thing as somebody in prison~
And if the mindset shifts to one more conducive towards actually helping people, then many of the signs can be picked up on before they go and do something~

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33979 on: July 31, 2011, 04:44:04 am »

I think the world is overpopulated, and lives are less important than they're made out to be, but I'm also acutely aware that that includes my own life, and that I have nothing even approaching the right to take someone else's.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33980 on: July 31, 2011, 04:46:59 am »

I put it in a slightly colder and more nihilistic view than I wanted to. My political philosophy is built from the ideas that I like in different political view, rather than just sticking 100% to capitalism/communism/fascism/whatever. While I do believe than human beings are not, in fact, equal, I am a supporter of communism and feel that, no matter their worth, everyone should have equal rights. If it helps, I also support some capitalist and libertarian views that everyone loves so much in the modern world.

I think the world is overpopulated, and lives are less important than they're made out to be, but I'm also acutely aware that that includes my own life, and that I have nothing even approaching the right to take someone else's.
See, Blarg also knows what I'm saying. Partially. Kinda.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33981 on: July 31, 2011, 04:49:50 am »

While I do believe than human beings are not, in fact, equal,

This is really bugging me, please define Equal.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33982 on: July 31, 2011, 04:54:38 am »

While I do believe than human beings are not, in fact, equal,

This is really bugging me, please define Equal.
Some people are smarter,stronger,healthier and so on, some people are just gray masses, yet as I said, I still believe they should be treated the same.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #33983 on: July 31, 2011, 04:57:12 am »

If there isn't ever any consequences for ones actions, then what? Everyone is free, including the mentally "sane", to go out, murder everyone that they want, act "sane" (as plenty of the people who don't get the institutions nowadays are capable of), and run off scott free.
That system would cause more damage than it "fixes", really.
There just isn't enough negatives dangling over everyone's head to have enough of them thinking "Stop! Do I really want a life of jailtime or a death penalty for this?"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:00:18 am by iceball3 »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33984 on: July 31, 2011, 05:00:17 am »

If there isn't ever any consequences for ones actions, then what? Everyone is free, including the mentally "sane", to go out, murder everyone that they want, act "sane" (as plenty of the people who don't get the institutions nowadays are capable of), and run off scott free.
The point is that not everybody is sane, and as such we help those that are not rather than punish them. Somebody who commits some horrible crime will always do so for a reason. Because they are poor, so we help them get educated and get a job and support themselves, or because they are mentally disturbed, so we give them therapy to help them.
It is not a free pass. Clearly you have never been to therapy. It is fucking hard work.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33985 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:46 am »

Some people are smarter,stronger,healthier and so on, some people are just gray masses, yet as I said, I still believe they should be treated the same.

I honestly don't think there would enough people arguing that everyone is identical for it even need to have been brought up, and the way you phrased it only leads to confusion because when you say that everyone is equal you are talking about their right and not their mass.

Anyone who goes out to murder is not mentally "sane", and do you think that the current system of throwing people into cages with other criminals for years before releasing them with virtually no attempts at reform and a low chance of employment would be any better then a system that cares about more then making the current political incumbent look tough on crime?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #33986 on: July 31, 2011, 05:03:08 am »

The point is that not everybody is sane, and as such we help those that are not rather than punish them. Somebody who commits some horrible crime will always do so for a reason. Because they are poor, so we help them get educated and get a job and support themselves, or because they are mentally disturbed, so we give them therapy to help them.
It is not a free pass. Clearly you have never been to therapy. It is fucking hard work.
So you need to comnit a crime to actually be part of this "life rebuilding" process? Sounds mighty like a free pass.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33987 on: July 31, 2011, 05:05:09 am »

<snip>
You are my only friend.

Anyway, I suggest we take this out somewhere else. I insulted other peoples ideals more than I wanted and my own ideals were insulted as well, so it would be wise to stop annoying each other. Personally, I don't hate any of you for your political and ethical viewpoints, but perhaps if you want to argue, it would be better to make a thread dedicated to that. I think there is nothing more to say on this topic anyway.

And no, that doesn't mean I surrender. I could argue about politics for hours.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #33988 on: July 31, 2011, 05:05:41 am »

Just thought I'd stick this here to get it out of my system.

First off, been having headaches and dizziness almost constantly for the past week or so. First thought it was an ear infection, told it was, got medicated, problem persisted, turns out it wasn't. Then had my eyes check, glasses are coming, but it's turning into a full blown migrant make me think there might be more. Doctor friend suggested that I do some blood tests and have my thyroid checked.

Next up on things that made me sad is finding some of janet's old posts while I was gone and she was feeling depressed. Those still hurt to read (although she's much better now).

Also, on the subject of Janet, I'm not able to talk to her due to extrenuating circumstances, which are also personal. I try to send her PMs, but the forum doesn't play nicely with my iPad, which is more or less the only way I get online nowadays, so I have to limit myself to sending a PM a day, with as much detail as I can fit in to make the most of it.

So things in general have felt kinda crappy, I guess.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33989 on: July 31, 2011, 05:06:20 am »

So you need to comnit a crime to actually be part of this "life rebuilding" process? Sounds mighty like a free pass.

So you need to commit a crime to be thrown in jail and rot for the rest of your life?
Again, the point is to create a society where it's considered acceptable to seek help~
As it is, people prone to murder or rape are simply shunned, and given nothing~
Furthermore, the existence of a death penalty is a very poor deterrent~
A mentally unstable person will still feel compelled to kill or rape, regardless of its existence~

Poor analogy, but think of the man who steals bread to feed himself and his starving family~
Despite knowing he'll have his hands cut off if he gets caught, he does anyway~
It's not an issue of 'oh, I'll get punished if I do this,' it's an issue of 'I have to do this'~
A mentally unstable person feels the same way~
They don't want to kill, they feel the need to~
Pages: 1 ... 2264 2265 [2266] 2267 2268 ... 8167