Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2231 2232 [2233] 2234 2235 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446828 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #33480 on: July 24, 2011, 08:12:12 pm »

One of my cousins I saw at the reunion was pretty attractive, but you know, family reunion.

Hee hee hee.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33481 on: July 24, 2011, 08:42:57 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33482 on: July 24, 2011, 08:43:59 pm »

I'm glad to see someone gets it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33483 on: July 24, 2011, 08:46:00 pm »

My fingers are numb from driving all day. D:
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33484 on: July 24, 2011, 08:54:48 pm »

I'm glad to see someone gets it.
Well, we would also sacrifice the winner. Into a god.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Ranwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33485 on: July 24, 2011, 09:03:49 pm »

My indoor cat escaped out the back door when I was going to water some flowers today. Apparently he was waiting around a corner, and as soon as he heard the door creak he ran between my legs faster than I could comprehend the situation. I calmly walked into the yard to see if I could carry him back in.. or at the very least herd him back in. The yard is surrounded by old, tall wooden planks that were too tall for him to jump, so at the moment I wasn't TOO concerned. But out of the corner of my eye I saw something crawl under part of the fence. It was a feral cat that had occasionally sunbathed in my yard. I had no idea how it was getting in, but now I knew. Of course my own cat saw this and ran as quickly as he could to the hole under the fence. Before I could blink, all I could see was his tail and hind legs, he was gone. I was barefoot at the time but it didn't matter, I ran to the fence and climbed over. Landed in a bunch of branchy underbrush. Saw my cat in a small clearing about 20 feet away, he was close to the cemetery field behind the neighborhood. I walked as calmly as I could towards him calling him name, but he was too frightened. When I tried to pick him up he attacked me as if his life depended on it, and then ran into the field. He didn't stop, just kept going. I walked back to my yard with bleeding arms and bleeding feet. I'm going to put up posters around town tonight but I don't expect to ever find him again, dead or alive. I live in an area with plenty of wild animals and woods.

I hate my life.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33486 on: July 24, 2011, 09:06:34 pm »

Im with ya man, its always a terrible experience to find your pet out of its safe zone with no method of controling them. Especially if their life sorta depends on it. Hope you find your little buddy soon.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33487 on: July 24, 2011, 09:07:17 pm »

Glance in their eyes, then down, then back up, and smile.  It's a magical recipe to make other people smile at you.

I think the reason this is supposed to work is because it makes the other person think you're checking them out, and your appraisal turns up positive.  That a guy told you this kinda reinforces my theory.

Only really applies with people of similar age though.  Also a good way to look charmingly shy-but-not-too-shy.

Oddly enough, that's a sales best practice. Engage the customer, break away for just a second to put another customer "in line" with you, and then return to the first customer. The break in attention forces the customer to focus on you (lest you go elsewhere), and establishes the customer as "important enough to deal with," because you came back.

Psychology is weird.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33488 on: July 24, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »

Somewhat worried about the mixed results of the last training exam. Overall I improved, but if I go by segments, I find that I did worse in one field where I've always been particularily strong, and unreasonably well in one in which I was weaker. (granted, I might have improved somewhat in the weaker one, but still).

I guess it's likely due to statistical flukes. A higher number of questions that were among my weaker parts of the first one, along with a higher number of questions about the stronger parts in the second one. Still, I'm uneasy
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33489 on: July 24, 2011, 10:20:16 pm »

Well, I found out today from some family members that my back is noticeably scarred. That kinda makes me sad but I guess its my fault. Also, the whole thing with NASA is making both angry and sad. Lastly, I tried the whole looking people in the eyes thing on someone today. It just resulted in me getting a dirty look as they went by... God, I fucking hate people.

You don't look random people in the eyes as you walk around, or you look like a crazy person. You look people in the eyes while talking to them.

I see, so avoid eye contact unless spoken too. I can do that. Should I just look down or something? Thats what I normally do...
No, don't do that. What you "should" do is not actively seeking eye contact (or staring), but not be afraid of meeting it when it happens anyway. When you do lock eyes with a stranger, just give a few moments acknowledgement, and then look away. The problem I suppose, if one is not used to doing this, is that if you look away too fast you'll look stressed or nervous or uncomfortable, but if you stay for too long (or look too intensely) you'll come of as strange or intruding. A good way of compromising might be to try to not make eye contact for more than a second or so, to look away if the other person looks away before you, and to remember to look for signs of discomfort in their eyes or face as well. And that's disregarding that different situations would mean different amounts of time - not that big a difference, though, but a slight moment's one.

Or, perhaps, the best way to go about it would be simply going by trial and error until you get a better hang of it. Body language is so ridiculously complicated.
Love, scriver~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33490 on: July 24, 2011, 11:02:46 pm »

Your post is so much more interesting when I imagine you to be your avatar. She looks like she's definitely need practice with not making people uncomfortable.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33491 on: July 24, 2011, 11:04:21 pm »

Lastly, I tried the whole looking people in the eyes thing on someone today. It just resulted in me getting a dirty look as they went by... God, I fucking hate people.

If you're just staring people in the eye as you walk by, even with a smile, I think that's a little weird.

You gotta do that little special nod thing when you make passing eye contact with someone.

Y'know, like a silent "Hi." kinda thing.

It's a powerful and versatile technique. I've yet to master it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[I actually didn't draw that. Click the picture to get to the page I found it on.]

I just realized I didn't smile, actually, I guess I never smile at all really. I bet that didn't help any. I'll have to try that technique, looks like it would work well.

Well, I found out today from some family members that my back is noticeably scarred. That kinda makes me sad but I guess its my fault. Also, the whole thing with NASA is making both angry and sad. Lastly, I tried the whole looking people in the eyes thing on someone today. It just resulted in me getting a dirty look as they went by... God, I fucking hate people.

You don't look random people in the eyes as you walk around, or you look like a crazy person. You look people in the eyes while talking to them.

I see, so avoid eye contact unless spoken too. I can do that. Should I just look down or something? Thats what I normally do...
No, don't do that. What you "should" do is not actively seeking eye contact (or staring), but not be afraid of meeting it when it happens anyway. When you do lock eyes with a stranger, just give a few moments acknowledgement, and then look away. The problem I suppose, if one is not used to doing this, is that if you look away too fast you'll look stressed or nervous or uncomfortable, but if you stay for too long (or look too intensely) you'll come of as strange or intruding. A good way of compromising might be to try to not make eye contact for more than a second or so, to look away if the other person looks away before you, and to remember to look for signs of discomfort in their eyes or face as well. And that's disregarding that different situations would mean different amounts of time - not that big a difference, though, but a slight moment's one.

Or, perhaps, the best way to go about it would be simply going by trial and error until you get a better hang of it. Body language is so ridiculously complicated.

I can't see well enough to make out details on a face anymore unless they are close to me. I should probably just start wearing sunglasses, never cared much for sunlight anyways.

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

If you worry about all the intricacies of exactly how far to nod your head, what second to look away, etc, you're going to bog yourself down and become uncomfortable and/or make other people uncomfortable.

Or you might do what I do, and try to get it just right and end up massively exaggerating your actions.

*Passing by a stranger.*

- *Huge grin, rapid nod and slight wave.*

*Stranger draws their kids closer to them and stares with disgust.*

- *; _ ;*

That hasn't happened yet.. but knowing me..

That very well could be my problem, maybe I just need to stop trying to appease people so hard. Honestly, I kinda hate this whole thing anyways and I'm already wierd to begin with. Mastering social stuff would be pointless as I'll always be a loner. I should just stick to what I know and focus on that. Thanks for the help guys but its probably wasted effort. I think I'll just ignore people from now on, they can think whatever they please.
My personality profile.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #33492 on: July 24, 2011, 11:10:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It amuses me so much that somebody actually made a diagram about this. I picked it up almost instantaneously when I moved into an urban area a couple years ago. In the rural Maritimes, we all just looked eachother in the eyes and did not turn away until we passed. Eye contact, even with a dirty look response, is always beneficial. Nobody ever really messes with you if you are able to maintain eye contact with them. When I was 17, my scrawny 108 lb. self stared down a drunken 300 lb. New Zealand Infantryman who was causing trouble at a McDonald's late at night. He could've snapped me into several twigs, but my lack of fear or nervousness prevented him from doing so. You just have to know you're awesome, and suddenly you are, even if you weren't before.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #33493 on: July 25, 2011, 12:01:41 am »

I stepped on my headset this morning and ended up breaking the left earphone off, I managed to reattach it with plenty of tape, but the audio quality is terrible now. That plus the fact that my sound card has been making crackling sounds makes the headphone part of my headset pretty much useless. The mic still works, but I'm not really sure if I can use it without the headphones, as I think it would get too much echo. Strike one more headset I guess.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33494 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:37 am »

I feel like something in my wrist has burst. Wrist pain makes me sad :(
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 2231 2232 [2233] 2234 2235 ... 8167