Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2205 2206 [2207] 2208 2209 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9460995 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #33090 on: July 17, 2011, 09:34:12 am »

Why the fuck do so many Youtube videos have that "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" song? Jesus, it's getting annoying hearing "FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR! *CHUG CHUG CHUG*" every third video. Luckily, the song is rarely found in newer videos.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33091 on: July 17, 2011, 11:26:46 am »

Wait, Phantom Brave doesn't have a random name generator? Shiiiiiit I'll never beat this game with only a handful of characters :/

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #33092 on: July 17, 2011, 11:29:00 am »

My definition of beauty is "I look like I do, HOW ABOUT YOU DEAL WITH IT.", though, that doesn't stop me from flaunting how gorgeous I am, while actually not.  :P
I'm awfully used to not caring about how I relate to others, huh?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33093 on: July 17, 2011, 11:53:22 am »

Trying to configure this Japanese P2P program.
I can't open any ports here, and none of the ones I've tried have been opened already.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33094 on: July 17, 2011, 12:44:34 pm »

You don't need to be a soprano to be a "real woman".  I mean... you really, really don't.  If you look at famous female singers, you'll find a mix in terms of their voices, and you generally can't have a choir with only sopranos.

There's just a certain image, which I sometimes find rather attractive and usually find rather revolting in its carefully manipulative falseness.  And that image is always soprano and good at flower arrangement, sewing, and cooking.  Domestic.

. . . I'm starting to think that there's something severely wrong with me >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33095 on: July 17, 2011, 12:59:49 pm »

soprano and good at flower arrangement, sewing, and cooking.  Domestic.

*cringes*
Jesus...
Cooking, grocery shopping and sewing I get. Hell, everyone ought to be at least competent in any of those, regardless of gender.

But flower arrangement?...
I think that my girlfriend knowing which one is the socket wrench and where to find it while I'm propping up the shelving, helping me solder something, or being able to dissuade me from stuff that, in retrospect, really are patently stupid would be far more... normal traits to want to hope for rather than knowing the "proper" way to arrange flowers in a vase, or to sit all day sewing at an arras.

Also, altos and mezzo-sopranos are awesome.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33096 on: July 17, 2011, 01:16:22 pm »

*sigh*

Ever since I was a little girl, there was this sort of familial hierarchy among us 10 cousins.  Dead people sit at the top, then married people, and then the rest of us actually have some fluidity in their rankings.  A lot of this is based on how well we conform to gender roles.  For example, I am not expected to be able to carry the pot of stew I am expected to be able to cook.

I think the first time I noticed this was when my grandmother sent a female cousin and I outside to pick flowers and had us arrange them in a glass.  They have such a natural and lovely way of making things look, so elegant and clean.  I really respect that, because I can't do that.  I do patterns.

I can design and blueprint out machines, do calculus, program or troubleshoot a computer, plant and raise crops, cook, stab a person in the throat with a sword, drive nails, raise a tent, build a fire, keep my shoes gleamingly polished, speak five languages, analyze a novel or write an essay, draw and paint, play violin and piano, knit, and generally argue people to the ground.

But something I don't have is a talent for making environments look beautiful.  I really respect that, because my mother does have it.  My cousins have it.  But decoration is not a skill I have, and when you don't have that ability--and it's sort of considered compulsory for your gender in your culture--you start to notice the lack of it.  The "feminine touch" as they call it.  The ability to make everything look great, smell good, taste wonderful, with a flair of effortlessness and mystery.  Everyone knows I'm trying my ass off.

So yeah, that is something I envy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33097 on: July 17, 2011, 01:24:50 pm »

Don't feel too bad about not having this mythical "Feminine touch" vector, it's only one standard of how to alter your environment and it's honestly a lot rarer than most people would think, and it's not even more common among one gender than the other. And even then, almost everyone I know that does these things doesn't do it "Effortlessly" or anything. It takes a lot of work to get to that point and cultivate that little touch, the fact that my sister is anything but an example of femininity and yet seems to have something resembling what you describe shows me that if anything, it's a ton of effort combined with a perfectionist streak that gives the touch you're talking about.

But really, there's no shame in changing your environment in your own way. The skills you listed can even contribute to helping order and arrange things in a different but with some practice and effort, likely equally beautiful standard.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33098 on: July 17, 2011, 01:46:32 pm »

Envy and admiration I can understand. But I've honestly failed to see the need to enforce these skills onto people who either don't like them or can't grasp them, simply because of social roles.

Granted, there are some skill sets that ought to be universal. Basic housework, algebra etc but beyond that, whatever one does best and likes doing.
If a dude has an eye for colors and decorative design, who cares that he's a dude?
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33099 on: July 17, 2011, 02:18:37 pm »

We shouldn't but it's been a part of our culture since cave-man days. Women had to stay home and feed babies, and so men got used to hunting and women got used to taking care of the house, and it spiraled out of control after that.

Not saying that holds any more. Saying a woman belongs in the house is like saying Men should be killing bulls with their bare hands; stupid and archaic. But that's where the bias comes from.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33100 on: July 17, 2011, 02:34:50 pm »

Nooot really. There's another side to it that "modern" and "civilized" cultures mainly choose to disregard.
Child rearing takes up huge amounts of time, and is a difficult task to say the least. Hence, women had little time for anything that involved leaving the household unsupervised for extended periods. Like studying.
There's also the fact that only women can have kids. So having one of the men get wounded or killed in a hunt gone wrong would have hit a tribe/clan/whatever much less than losing one of the women. That's why hunting, warfare, heavy manual labor and so on was delegated to men. Because they're rather less imperative to a community's survival then women.
So there was a rather natural division of labor between men and women: Women take care of the food, the kids, and what happens at home and in the clan, and men do stuff that are liable to get them injured, or take them away from home for extended periods.
The fact that men then imposed and enforced a patriarchal society is what turned the primordial necessity to keep the "women and children" safe into the annoying, male-centered social systems we still have today.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33101 on: July 17, 2011, 03:00:09 pm »

Fuckin tasteless.
First part of the video is commentary.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33102 on: July 17, 2011, 03:06:41 pm »

Fuckin tasteless.
First part of the video is commentary.
Wow... They really think a guy having his cock cut off is funny? Jesus...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #33103 on: July 17, 2011, 03:19:22 pm »

snip
Yeah, it really didn't go south until about the time agriculture became big. Though that can be said about most of what we would consider modern problems. Land ownership became a concept as a result, warfare as a result of that, class systems dependent upon ownership, ect. Despite it being an advance allowing us as a species to conquer the world as no large creature ever has before, we are still dealing with the unfortunate repercussions of the changes in society which resulted, even many thousands of years later.

To build upon SE's post, the transition to an agrarian society meant the land had to be protected from others' claims of ownership. Warfare was then carried out by males for the reasons SE listed, and as such, they were then in the default position of power in the new society, as land ownership became the trade of a successful warrior.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33104 on: July 17, 2011, 03:26:00 pm »

Wow... They really think a guy having his cock cut off is funny? Jesus...

Just the same way some guys think rape jokes are funny. It's the flipside of the coin. I really don't see what all the fuss and griping of "Baaaw! Feminists!" is about.

The dude in question should sue them and CBS when he gets out of the hospital, claim reparations, and teach TV studios that you don't let a bunch of dumb bimbos (or baboons) run off at the mouth on TV without paying for it.

snip
snip
Land ownership isn't actually to blame. There were intertribal conflicts for hunting grounds and other resources since time began. What really set things into the systems we see today is the creation of male elites. Men simply had other stuff to do than tend to the household, so they became religious leaders, spiritual advisors, dabblers in the workings of the world. Women didn't have the time to.
So guys simply ended up with the ropes to civilization and culture, and with them the ability to steer things the way they liked. One exceptionally good way of doing so is religion/philosophy.
Pages: 1 ... 2205 2206 [2207] 2208 2209 ... 8167