Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2186 2187 [2188] 2189 2190 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9454125 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32805 on: July 12, 2011, 04:41:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hmmm, well, I start college at the end of August so I guess I should do something beforehand.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32806 on: July 12, 2011, 07:04:34 pm »

It's 8pm, and the heat index is still over 100 degrees.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32807 on: July 12, 2011, 08:26:13 pm »

EA has bought out the Plants vs Zombies people. I suppose it could be worse, but its not anything good either. :/
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32808 on: July 12, 2011, 08:42:47 pm »

My throat hurts from the chemo.

I've been in the hospital since June 28th and have been undergoing treatment for leukemia for the last 6 days.  It's taken so long to start treatment because when they first started treatment, the dying cancer cells released too much potassium into my bloodstream and stopped my heart, so I had to spend severall days in the ICU, and then even more time just trying to get my kidneys to function properly again. 

And now I'm stuck here for the next 25 days.  Fun times ahead.

Good luck, man.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32809 on: July 12, 2011, 08:43:47 pm »

EA has bought out the Plants vs Zombies people. I suppose it could be worse, but its not anything good either. :/
Oh, great. They're going to fuck up Popcap's games, too.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32810 on: July 12, 2011, 09:37:46 pm »

Best wishes to xtank... hope the treatments work.

Toonyman: 

I guess I'll be the one to say something different.  I feel like I have exactly the opposite problem.

I spent grades 3-10 going to a school where I absolutely didn't fit in.  I tried.  I tried really really really hard and was all kinds of outgoing and adventurous and tried hanging out with almost everyone, but every social situation I managed to get included in was either highly toxic or a total failure.  I had 3 younger siblings, but was too much older than them to really be friends with them.  I was incredibly lonely and spent most of my time reading books, playing video games, and exploring alone outdoors. 

I moved just after 10th grade and started developing a lot better social skills and making real friends.  My future wife also moved in with my family when I was 17 (long story -- I saved her from homelessness) and she is very very extroverted.  So by the time I graduated high school, I had exactly the opposite situation.  I was constantly interacting with people. 

It was... overwhelming... my life felt like it was hit by a train.  I was confused and exhausted all the time.  After a couple years of re-orienting myself, I began to realize how much I actually missed the majority of my time being solitary.  Then a few years ago, I began reading about the differences between introverts and extroverts and understanding a lot more about myself.  Today, I think my ideal situation would be to limit real-life social events to maybe once or twice a month... but I'm the man of a four person family now, and two of them are very obviously 100% extrovert and want my attention every moment they can get it.  I'm also trapped for the time being working in an office arranged on an open floor.  No offices or cubicles or anything separating anyone, and I have to spend 40 hours a week here minimum. 

I've grown a ton over the last 10 years.  I'm thankful for the experience... but I'm also really concerned that it's slowly killing me. 

So... I guess I just wanted to get that off my chest the same way you did, under the pretentious excuse that it might offer you some perspective :P   I agree with Kael and Miggy.  Get out and experiment more.  It's the only way to get to know yourself and what you really want.  Just be sure to keep your options open.  You may be depressed right now, because you're judging your own happiness by what makes other people happy or what society's idea of a healthy person is or even just because your mind has little reference by which to judge your current situation and decide whether it is good or bad.  I think there are very few people at your age who can really say.  I'm a very very self-aware type of person, and I couldn't.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32811 on: July 12, 2011, 10:03:33 pm »

My dad was well enough to get out of the hospital and go fishing with me today. According to him, his new heart makes him feel younger than he has in twenty years.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32812 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:19 pm »

I would have thought such a thing would make you happy.... ??? ???
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32813 on: July 12, 2011, 10:27:54 pm »

You may be depressed right now, because you're judging your own happiness by what makes other people happy or what society's idea of a healthy person is or even just because your mind has little reference by which to judge your current situation and decide whether it is good or bad.
That's a really good point.

Anyway, I would have spoke with my parents today, but guess what they're not home and I don't have a way to contact them.  My brother is home but my brother is like the only person who actually knows me and we're fine together so it doesn't matter right now.

I hope they come home soon, it's almost 12am.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32814 on: July 12, 2011, 10:52:48 pm »

My cat Charlie died just the other day. He was such a good, proud cat. I'm sad that I'm simply so far away from home, so I didn't get to see a moment of his last few days.

And I'm also sad that my Mom is hospitalized again for another infection in her back wound, which I'm reminded is garish and needs constant attention and care. I'm so worried about her, but can't do anything from where I'm at. I'm furthermore reminded of my own mortality, and that of those around me. Dying and death seriously scare the shit out of me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32815 on: July 13, 2011, 12:10:31 am »

A friend posted an amusing/encouraging misquote of Vincent van Gogh, so I decided to check out the authenticity of it on Wikipedia.  If you want to feel depressed, read about van Gogh.  He suffered from mental illness all his life, and killed himself two years after he cut off his ear  :'(

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #32816 on: July 13, 2011, 12:27:13 am »

It would appear I am unable to access libsyn podcasts for some reason. Which is quite annoying, since almost every podcast I listen to uses it. >_<

edit: Turns out it's a routing problem. Something at 24.29.160.141 is sending my packets to 24.29.164.137 which then endlessly sends them back and forth between itself and 24.29.164.134. And considering the address ends in woh.rr.com, it would appear my fail isp has indeed rolled a 1 on their networking skills.

And it seems i.imgur.com is suffering a similar fate. It goes through the same initial route, but then it gets stuck in a separate yet equally infinite routing loop in the ISP's network. That place is a god damned hall of mirrors. D:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:22:09 am by alway »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32817 on: July 13, 2011, 01:32:58 am »

Want to thank everyone.  I'm doing better today thanks to circumstances changing back past the tipping point.

I know I'm not done, though, so please bear with me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32818 on: July 13, 2011, 01:36:18 am »

It would appear I am unable to access libsyn podcasts for some reason. Which is quite annoying, since almost every podcast I listen to uses it. >_<

edit: Turns out it's a routing problem. Something at 24.29.160.141 is sending my packets to 24.29.164.137 which then endlessly sends them back and forth between itself and 24.29.164.134. And considering the address ends in woh.rr.com, it would appear my fail isp has indeed rolled a 1 on their networking skills.

And it seems i.imgur.com is suffering a similar fate. It goes through the same initial route, but then it gets stuck in a separate yet equally infinite routing loop in the ISP's network. That place is a god damned hall of mirrors. D:
Did you try setting your router to an alternate DNS?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32819 on: July 13, 2011, 01:56:42 am »

Want to thank everyone.  I'm doing better today thanks to circumstances changing back past the tipping point.

I know I'm not done, though, so please bear with me.
Just keep in mind that we'll always be here for you. Only trolls have reason to dislike someone who is asking for help.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 2186 2187 [2188] 2189 2190 ... 8167