Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2180 2181 [2182] 2183 2184 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456087 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32715 on: July 10, 2011, 04:55:25 pm »

The scary part is when it actually takes some concentration and willpower to tamp that part of the psyche down.
Which is why I ran. It was a lot more intense than the usual random inclinations and it had a vile edge to it, coupled with the feeling of being pointless and it's a terrifying situation.

I think I was also sorta stressed from the party, which stretched from 11:00 in the morning to midnight thanks to Italians. I don't really have too much of a problem with crowds of people but it does grate on me after a while. Last few hours were hell to go through, my brother agrees with me there. It was more of an event for the people in our families as they had gotten married twice before. Once the stress from the event wore off things got a bit better. I still get the feeling that I'm being ignored a lot but it's easier to accept that I simply talk quietly and there are lots of loud Italians around.

Really I should be looking at the long post Toony made and come up with support for my best friend. We can't both be in the dumps bro, I'll scout out ahead and look for a way out of these mires.

I can't speak for Duke's personal friends but I know that we all don't realize the impact we make on other people's lives.
It's an unfortunate thing that I really want to make more of an effort over. Gotta always be reminding all the awesome people around me how awesome they are. Specifically named too, although it's late at night and this subject is emotionally draining to stay involved with.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32716 on: July 10, 2011, 04:57:43 pm »

@Taco Dan, I didn't even realise it was starting. I thought the happy post was just telling us that you planned to do it later in the evening. :(
Love, scriver~

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32717 on: July 10, 2011, 06:02:30 pm »

I'm taking my computer to a real expert in fixing computers and it's going to be fixed.  And I'm not going to worry about it.  And I will be able to sleep tonight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32718 on: July 10, 2011, 06:39:34 pm »

The new Prince of Persia game was cool until I realized you can't die.  If you fall off a cliff Elika just grabs you and magics you back to the last spot of flat ground.  That wouldn't be a problem, platforming is a bitch to do over and over again, but you also can't die in combat.  If the monster is about to kill you Elika just throws a big hunk of magic in its face and you get up while it's distracted.

Duuuummmmb.
Shoes...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32719 on: July 10, 2011, 06:41:18 pm »

Dumb indeed. At least the original non-death way (reversing time or something) made sense from the stuff you had, but thats just silly.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32720 on: July 10, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »

The new Prince of Persia game was cool until I realized you can't die.  If you fall off a cliff Elika just grabs you and magics you back to the last spot of flat ground.  That wouldn't be a problem, platforming is a bitch to do over and over again, but you also can't die in combat.  If the monster is about to kill you Elika just throws a big hunk of magic in its face and you get up while it's distracted.

Duuuummmmb.
Is it any less dumb that just magically reappearing at some "save point" that really has no in-game explanation? Or would you like to argue that PoP should adopt the "iron man" model?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32721 on: July 10, 2011, 06:46:04 pm »

Yes and no. Going back to a savepoint gives you a sense of failure and "damn now I have to do all this crap again". This... it's just "yeah I can just let myself get clobbered and eventually I win"

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #32722 on: July 10, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »

Going back to a savepoint (or any similar reset buttons) only happens because you fail, and the hero isn't supposed to fail. Doesn't make much of a story if the hero dies fifteen minutes into it, or even five hours into it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32723 on: July 10, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »

Duuuummmmb.
Is it any less dumb that just magically reappearing at some "save point" that really has no in-game explanation? Or would you like to argue that PoP should adopt the "iron man" model?

It's weird.  I know that, I know that loading the game when you die is just as artificial, but there's still something wrong about it.  I feel like I'm not playing a game when I play Prince of Persia.  The only consequence for failure is in combat, where enemies will heal when you "die"

As for the first game, while I like the whole storytelling idea the Prince is a pretty shitty storyteller.

"So I ran along the wall, but my timing was off so a big buzzsaw blade hit me and I fell into the spikes.  Since I had no sand left in my dagger I couldn't rewind time, and unfortunately I died.

...Wait wait, no.  That's not how it went, my timing was fine and I survived.  Must've remembered it wrong."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:43:43 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32724 on: July 10, 2011, 09:02:53 pm »

For some reason, I cannot connect to anything Kael hosts other than his Terraria server.

WHY?!
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32725 on: July 10, 2011, 11:02:28 pm »

The new Prince of Persia game was cool until I realized you can't die.
What? That sucks. I've not played any besides the first one and Sands of Time. Am I missing out on anything?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32726 on: July 10, 2011, 11:51:03 pm »

The Sands of Time trilogy is great, but I enjoyed Sands more than the other two (of course, Two Thrones has the Prince turn ridiculously baddass).
Can't vouch for the one Squiddles is playing.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32727 on: July 11, 2011, 12:22:26 am »

I finished the original Prince of Persia on DOSBOX a few years ago, the many many ways to die was one of the best things about it, after getting through a screen, you feel a real sense of accomplishment (and as there is no save feature, you get a great victory boost after winning the whole game).

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32728 on: July 11, 2011, 03:53:29 am »

Ugh. I heard my mother say some racist bullshit again... That makes me sad and RAAAGEEY.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32729 on: July 11, 2011, 04:05:24 am »

The new Prince of Persia game was cool until I realized you can't die.
What? That sucks. I've not played any besides the first one and Sands of Time. Am I missing out on anything?

It's not part of the same canon.  It's not even set in Persia, it's set in some bizarre fantasy world.  It kind of reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus because there's lots of roaming through big landscapes and no one's around but you and Elika.  Combat's kind of cool but you never fight more than one enemy at a time and the enemy can't actually beat you.

The no death thing isn't that bad.  They basically looked at the normal formula of "Die, load game, go back fifteen minutes" or the newer checkpoint style "Die, load game, go back 30 seconds" and got rid of the loading part and the go back fifteen minutes part.  On one hand it kind of removes the sense of risk, but on the other hand nowadays you rarely ever lose any real time from dying, so they just got rid of it.  One good thing about it is that it makes gameplay entirely seamless.  Aside from when you first start the game you'll never see a loading screen.  Ever.

The platforming's alright, looks really neat but has a lot of overly fancy animations that can fuck with your ability to control your guy.  You think you need to hit a button and it turns out he was going to do the action you thought you had to push the button for on his own, but it queues up that move anyway, so you end up jumping off a cliff.  The problem with the platforming is that it comprises 90% of the game and it's only slightly more interactive than Assassin's Creed's platforming.  Most of the game is spent running and pressing the A button.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 2180 2181 [2182] 2183 2184 ... 8167