Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 [2181] 2182 2183 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9454283 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32700 on: July 10, 2011, 07:29:35 am »

I don't know how common or not it is, but I understand what you're saying. 

Thanks bro, this was kinda what I needed. I would normally be posting in the happy thread about the actual event and all the goodness of seeing my brother again, but this is becoming more and more of a frightening feeling. It also sorta cumulated to a frightening climax of despair where I realized a large part of my anxiety is from a fear of being pointless, that nobodies life would be any worse if I was not around. I should probably post what I told some close friends about fears over lacking talent or skill in any appreciable field soon to see how prevalent and helpful it could be.

And also in the depths of despair on the ramparts of a castle wall came a scary thought that I had not felt since elementary school stemming from the idea that nobody really cares if I'm around or not. How easy it would be to jump off the wall.

I ran as quickly as I could back to the after party. That is not the mood or thought to entertain when standing on a tall wall.

I'm doing better this morning but I still don't have anybody to talk to about this, probably out of the same familiarity that made me not sense this mood back at home. I only have you guys until somebody comes to me to talk about this, proving this poisonous idea wrong with their caring.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32701 on: July 10, 2011, 07:55:20 am »

I got my Google+ invite and was all excited... and then I signed up and it tells me I have to be 18 or older to join up. I facepalmed real hard, and just went through the signup again but said I was 18, and it turns out my entire gmail account is locked out of Google+ just from signing up that first time. Yes thats right if you sign up to use this and put the wrong age accidentally, you're completely locked out of it.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32702 on: July 10, 2011, 07:57:32 am »

i had a massive identity crisis today

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32703 on: July 10, 2011, 11:19:28 am »

Thanks bro, this was kinda what I needed. I would normally be posting in the happy thread about the actual event and all the goodness of seeing my brother again, but this is becoming more and more of a frightening feeling. It also sorta cumulated to a frightening climax of despair where I realized a large part of my anxiety is from a fear of being pointless, that nobodies life would be any worse if I was not around. I should probably post what I told some close friends about fears over lacking talent or skill in any appreciable field soon to see how prevalent and helpful it could be.

And also in the depths of despair on the ramparts of a castle wall came a scary thought that I had not felt since elementary school stemming from the idea that nobody really cares if I'm around or not. How easy it would be to jump off the wall.

I ran as quickly as I could back to the after party. That is not the mood or thought to entertain when standing on a tall wall.

I'm doing better this morning but I still don't have anybody to talk to about this, probably out of the same familiarity that made me not sense this mood back at home. I only have you guys until somebody comes to me to talk about this, proving this poisonous idea wrong with their caring.

Honestly, I think that sort of "I could just jump right off / drive off the bridge / step in front of traffic" things are extremely common. My wife and I have both had those sort of sudden impulses before, and it's not even connected to being depressed or anything. Like, I can be having a perfectly normal day and on the drive home there's the tiny little part of me that just WANTS to turn the steering wheel hard and go right off the bridge. For no real reason. That's not the scary part anymore. The scary part is when it actually takes some concentration and willpower to tamp that part of the psyche down.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32704 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:46 am »

Honestly, I think that sort of "I could just jump right off / drive off the bridge / step in front of traffic" things are extremely common. My wife and I have both had those sort of sudden impulses before, and it's not even connected to being depressed or anything. Like, I can be having a perfectly normal day and on the drive home there's the tiny little part of me that just WANTS to turn the steering wheel hard and go right off the bridge. For no real reason. That's not the scary part anymore. The scary part is when it actually takes some concentration and willpower to tamp that part of the psyche down.
It sounds like Todestrieb is getting to you, but that sounds normal enough. I've also had those sudden and completely unsupported suicide urges standing on high surfaces, looking out windows, holding knives, ect. They don't mean anything if they just show up out of the blue, so don't worry about it. Scared the hell out of me the first time, but now they're just sort of depressing whenever they happen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32705 on: July 10, 2011, 11:56:58 am »

Yeah, for me I think they stem from a, "Hey, I totally have the power to do something completely unexpected." Or something like that. Usually it's when driving, less so with high places (I am actually terrified of high places that don't have significant railing or other means for keeping me from falling over).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32706 on: July 10, 2011, 11:59:58 am »

I am actually terrified of high places that don't have significant railing or other means for keeping me from falling over.
Freud would say that you aren't afraid of falling. He would say that you're afraid of deciding to jump. Scary thought, that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32707 on: July 10, 2011, 12:07:21 pm »

The last known geographical locations of 15 missing nuclear weapons.

Even looking at that makes me feel anxious.
The good news is that the larger portion don't have their fissile cores.
And quite a ot of them are "known" to have been salvaged.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32708 on: July 10, 2011, 01:27:30 pm »

I am actually terrified of high places that don't have significant railing or other means for keeping me from falling over.
Freud would say that you aren't afraid of falling. He would say that you're afraid of deciding to jump. Scary thought, that.
Well, I'd dispute that, since quite often all it takes is a flimsy waist-high railing to calm me down. Nothing I couldn't easily get over if I put in even the slightest amount of effort; what freaks me out is the possibility that I could trip and die/be seriously injured, or at least that's what I keep picturing in my head and worrying about.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32709 on: July 10, 2011, 03:11:29 pm »

I can't believe I missed your post Duke from two days ago, argh.
I want to hug you Duke, so so much.  I don't think you're pointless at all.  I think you're a wonderful person who is trying to understand his feelings for the better.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32710 on: July 10, 2011, 03:36:45 pm »

I can't speak for Duke's personal friends but I know that we all don't realize the impact we make on other people's lives. On bay 12 at least he's is an invaluable member with a strong head.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #32711 on: July 10, 2011, 04:03:41 pm »

Stream was a failure, nobody came. I'll try again next week.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32712 on: July 10, 2011, 04:16:18 pm »

:( But I waited and waited for you to start it back up.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32713 on: July 10, 2011, 04:17:20 pm »

And I even came back after I was finished D:

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32714 on: July 10, 2011, 04:39:57 pm »

The Dollfie Dream Base Body II (White Skin) is not currently available. Please contact us for availability of this item.

D:
I guess white skin is more popular than normal after all.
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 [2181] 2182 2183 ... 8167