Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450267 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32580 on: July 08, 2011, 01:59:38 pm »

Your completely missing the point, as if on purpose.

Yes, good things came from playing space heroes and waving dicks.
No, I don't think it was the best way to spend money.
Yes, I enjoy what it has given us.
No, I don't think we should continue spending money on it.
Yes, I think a little investment in satellites and other things useful now is fine.
No, I don't think we're going to burn and crash because we don't invest on space cruisin' for a hundred years.

We clear?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32581 on: July 08, 2011, 02:03:19 pm »

We have been clear on that being your stated position for a while now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dimitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32582 on: July 08, 2011, 02:15:58 pm »

Although more generally... if you "finish" the fight (rather than defending yourself to a reasonable degree), you've gone too far.  You've abandoned the moral high ground and made yourself just as bad as them, in the hope that you'll be able to beat them into submission.  Maybe you will, but I don't see why anyone should have any kind of sympathy with you if you do.

I hope I don't come off as condescending by saying this, but every time I see a statement similar to this, I honestly wonder if the poster has ever been in a real fight. This isn't just aimed at you specifically, to be clear.
A fight isn't like a movie, play or story. There is no definite climax or ending, and there isn't any clean, logical breaking point.
That, and keeping the 'moral high ground' is generally less important than say, 'staying alive' or 'not having multiple serious injuries', to me at least.

Admittedly, this is just an example of two different upbringings and ideologies clashing. Should we just agree do disagree on this?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:23:08 pm by Dimitri »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32583 on: July 08, 2011, 02:20:22 pm »

Agreed. "Finishing" a fight merely means making them stop attacking you for reasons other than boredom. Getting an authority figure to intervene is finishing the fight. Knocking them down and forcing them to flee is finishing the fight. Humiliating them by dumping a trash can on them so they run off and hide is finishing the fight. None of those count as "going too far."

As for the revenge issue, most bullies I've dealt with were "feet or throat" types. You may not want them at your feet, but if you keep them from being at your throat, they cede you supremacy without you necessarily wanting it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #32584 on: July 08, 2011, 02:24:41 pm »

You say these things as if the money would actually be spent on something else which was useful. What you neglect to take into account is this money comes from the government. If it was not spent on space, it would likely have been used for corporate tax cuts or to buy a couple extra fighter planes to sit in a warehouse somewhere. The amount spent is minuscule compared to almost every other government expenditure; only 0.6% of the total federal budget.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #32585 on: July 08, 2011, 02:27:45 pm »

I feel like I am very close to getting my life in a good place, and it seems like it is making me very depressed.

Now I feel weak. Now I feel lost. Now I feel tired. I have had to work so hard to get where I am that I never had to stop and think about where I come from.
I've been doing that a lot recently. And that is a very bad place to be. I only have one "happy" memory of childhood.
I used to play alone in the snow, pretending I was a stuntman in the movies, jumping off buildings, pretending to be shot and fall over. It was such a normal thing.
Everything else in my childhood was pain, fear, horror, mistrust, brainwashing, suffering.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32586 on: July 08, 2011, 02:31:54 pm »

Lysabild, show me on the doll where the space program hurt you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32587 on: July 08, 2011, 02:40:23 pm »

I hope I don't come off as condescending by saying this, but every time I see a statement similar to this, I honestly wonder if the poster has ever been in a real fight. This isn't just aimed at you specifically, to be clear.
A fight isn't like a movie, play or story. There is no definite climax or ending, and there isn't any clean, logical breaking point.
That, and keeping the 'moral high ground' is generally less important than say, 'staying alive' or 'not having multiple serious injuries', to me at least.

Admittedly, this is just an example of two different upbringings and ideologies clashing. Should we just agree do disagree on this?
If you look back at the context, "finishing the fight" seemed to fundamentally go beyond reasonable self defence (I even made this distinction clearly in my post - this is also why I used inverted commas, to indicate that I was following Fenrir's definition).  Fenrir also mentioned that "finishing the fight" would involve teaching the other person a lesson under his definition (and he was responding to my comment on retaliation).  If Fenrir really was referring only to self defence, then it was under pretty confusing circumstances.

Bolded is fine, and if you truly are trying to stay alive and not have serious injuries, then you do have the moral high ground.  If you start attacking the other person after you've had a clear chance to disengage?  Not so much (so for instance, using a self defence technique to break the other person's arm if you really need to is justified, while kicking their head afterwards to try and show who's boss isn't).

As for the revenge issue, most bullies I've dealt with were "feet or throat" types. You may not want them at your feet, but if you keep them from being at your throat, they cede you supremacy without you necessarily wanting it.
That... doesn't have anything to do with revenge.  Rather it shows that you have bullies that seem to operate on a weird form of chivalric honour.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32588 on: July 08, 2011, 02:50:21 pm »

The "Revenge" issue I mentioned is that people have suggested that defeating a bully will always make them want revenge. In my experience, this has not been the case. I don't think it's a matter of "honor" either. Some (okay, many) people understand the concept of "Master" and "Slave" perfectly, but don't really understand "Equal". If you convince them they are not "master", they accept "slave" even if you don't insist on it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32589 on: July 08, 2011, 02:50:57 pm »

*Holds Japa's hand and points to the economy.*

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32590 on: July 08, 2011, 02:51:24 pm »

With the loss of the space program, we prove we are short sighted. Just because you can't see what the benefits are does not mean there will be none in science.

Hell, cordless power tools, new materials, and they things they let us do alone justify the cost twice over.

Kidney dialysis, numerous medical breakthroughs, an incalculable leap forward, screw em all. We have better places for that money.....

??? [headdesk]

We need to give IQ tests to vote.

*Redirects Lysabild's hand to the banking industry....*
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32591 on: July 08, 2011, 02:53:09 pm »

Can those of us who score high get several votes? :3

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32592 on: July 08, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »

All I'm seeing is the damage caused by the defense budget and corporate corruption.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32593 on: July 08, 2011, 02:55:14 pm »

Can those of us who score high get several votes? :3

I dunno but if you can't even point to where a country is on a map, you shouldn't be allowed to invade it. :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32594 on: July 08, 2011, 02:58:28 pm »

Because, IQ = Intelligence.

Why is it almost everytime I discuss anything with Americans it comes to these things and this gangbang mentality?

We're not arguing what is worst, I'm merely voicing my opinion and giving my arguements as to why I don't bemoan the possiblity of no more manned flights, that it's being given to the pricate sector is the only thing I find terrible in those news.

Sure, I'd rather other things changed too, but we're not discussing those things now, small things count too in the grand scheme and I am of the firm believe the money are better spend elsewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 8167