Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2168 2169 [2170] 2171 2172 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450474 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32535 on: July 08, 2011, 10:47:36 am »

Last Space Shuttle launch. I'm old enough that I still remember the first one.

I know there will be new ships and eventually new manned missions, but it's still a bittersweet event.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32536 on: July 08, 2011, 10:48:06 am »

Aren't chips sold by weight, not volume? or was this some take-away food? AFAIK chip packets contain lots of air to make them look bigger. Legally, weight is on the label, I'd imagine?
They get pumped full of Xenon to protect the crisps from mold and shit.

At least I think it was that. But it was one of those gazes for sure.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32537 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:19 am »

Final NASA manned mission today.

If you havn't seen it, then you missed it.

Ricky in the DFC chat was incredibly indifferent to this.

As are most of the other teenagers and highschoolers around here.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32538 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:47 am »

Wait what? Nooooo!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32539 on: July 08, 2011, 10:51:43 am »

Ricky in the DFC chat was incredibly indifferent to this.

As are most of the other teenagers and highschoolers around here.

Maybe they're like, "Pfft...I'll watch it later on YouTube."

Our society is kind of losing the concept of the importance of live events.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32540 on: July 08, 2011, 10:55:18 am »

So, I googled it and read about it, and it didn't interest me one bit. What do I care about space flight? We are wasting money that could be spend making our lifes on earth better for all I care.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32541 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:08 am »

So, I googled it and read about it, and it didn't interest me one bit. What do I care about space flight? We are wasting money that could be spend making our lifes on earth better for all I care.
This makes me sad. This is why we're going to wind up an extinct species someday.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32542 on: July 08, 2011, 10:59:42 am »

That was today? Oh, I wasn't able to keep up with all the schedule changes.

I guess that's it then. The space program is almost dead.

Man, this is depressing.     

You should care about space flight because it has been one of the largest non-war based sources of technology humanity has ever had, and it is our future. By going into space, we are making our lives on Earth better through research and eventually resources. The planet isn't an unlimited crucible, Lysabild. We're going to drain this place dry one day, no matter how effectively we try not to, and when that happens we need to be ready. Right now, humanity is in a fragile state. We could destroy our species here, but if we work to have colonies elsewhere in the solar system that won't be as big of a threat anymore.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32543 on: July 08, 2011, 10:59:48 am »

But... it's SPAAAAACEEEE!!! What's not to like?

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32544 on: July 08, 2011, 11:01:45 am »

My family's network connection has been used in some kind of scam involving non-existent car(s) being sold to Mexico.

My computer will maybe(*fingers crossed*) get confiscated in order to check it, which probably means I have to get rid of... Unofficially acquired entertainment, etc. Unfortunately, that means pretty much everything on my computer, including my operating system   :-\

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32545 on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:55 am »

This makes me sad. This is why we're going to wind up an extinct species someday.
This.

The space shuttle will be replaced, but this is truely frightening, this mindset.

Quote from: The Kings and Queens of France and Britain, approx. 1450-1490
Why waste money on a mission to the west? We should spend that money on things that would make our lives better here.

Quote from: Napoleon
Why are you trying to make energy from steam? A waste of resources that would make our lives better if you simply left alone!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32546 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:26 am »

Yeah.  One relevant quote is that "No amount of research into the candle would have given us the electric light".  There are plenty of new technologies from space exploration.

There is a difference between people who start fights and people who finish fights. The distinction lies in that the attacker has chosen to assault some person for no good reason, while the defender might care to demonstrate that such behavour is not healthy. I expect that being bloodied is not a particularly encouraging thing for a bully. You can not consider both the same with “well, they were both fighting.”
Bolded is pretty questionable considering it can often make them really, really want to seek revenge (along with the rest of their friends).

Although more generally... if you "finish" the fight (rather than defending yourself to a reasonable degree), you've gone too far.  You've abandoned the moral high ground and made yourself just as bad as them, in the hope that you'll be able to beat them into submission.  Maybe you will, but I don't see why anyone should have any kind of sympathy with you if you do.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32547 on: July 08, 2011, 11:19:55 am »

You guys really like to not read what is actually written, I am not against research, but the Planet is not threatened anytime soon and space colonies are pipedreams of kids until we populate the sea and Antarctis. All the money and resources wasted into playing space heroes could be used on clean sustainable energy, food, infrastructure and the improvement of the world of those living here. Research in medicine, health care and many things much more constructive.

Space colonization is not now, and it is not soon, it is wasted energy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32548 on: July 08, 2011, 11:24:15 am »

You guys really like to not read what is actually written, I am not against research, but the Planet is not threatened anytime soon and space colonies are pipedreams of kids until we populate the sea and Antarctis. All the money and resources wasted into playing space heroes could be used on clean sustainable energy, food, infrastructure and the improvement of the world of those living here. Research in medicine, health care and many things much more constructive.

Just as dirigibles were the future, not that pipedream of the airplane.
Or why should we waste money and resources on antibiotics when we have these perfectly good leeches lying around?

If there's one thing that is a silver lining to all this, it's that space will not be abandoned. It'll just be snapped up by the corporate sector. Research will continue, launches will continue, new craft will be developed. But it'll be so somebody can make a buck off it.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32549 on: July 08, 2011, 11:25:56 am »

Just as dirigibles were the future, not that pipedream of the airplane.
Or why should we waste money and resources on antibiotics when we have these perfectly good leeches lying around?

If there's one thing that is a silver lining to all this, it's that space will not be abandoned. It'll just be snapped up by the corporate sector. Research will continue, launches will continue, new craft will be developed. But it'll be so somebody can make a buck off it.

You're still making non-sensical parallels, and yay, hail the the richer and now more powerful corporate overlords that will surely better our lifes.
Pages: 1 ... 2168 2169 [2170] 2171 2172 ... 8167