Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448852 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32520 on: July 07, 2011, 05:04:32 pm »

On bullying in school systems.. it's a sad inevitability, but the thing that pisses me off? You're always told to go to a teacher, and in -no- circumstance fight back.
Because we all know: You can walk perfectly fine and converse with a teacher easily whilst being kicked in the ribs by multiple people.
This is probably where the distinction between self defence (defending yourself to the degree where it's possible to run away and seek help) and "fighting back" (fighting for revenge or whatever) comes in.  I mean, why should the teacher come out on your side if you've engaged in the same behaviour as the other person?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32521 on: July 07, 2011, 05:28:43 pm »

Just an overall sad day for some reason, it started up with waking up from a nightmare (Basically i fail to stop and possibly witness but repress the deaths of two of my best friends, which were talked into it by some strange girl (which now that i have been thinking of it looke like one of them)) i walk around in the blistering heat for a while only to do something that took five minutes and my ID card.For most of the day i have been listening to this and this, i took a nap, felt worse afterwards, then someone linked to TvTropes, which isn't that bad in and of itslef but i somehow ended up at the Downer Ending page, oh and i have to get up in four hours to go on a insanely long trip just to turn in some papers.

I guess the only good thing i can be expecting is that i will be able to buy some fine fine books (ASOIAF mainly), but i have a feeling that will go horribly wrong too -.-
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32522 on: July 07, 2011, 05:36:11 pm »

Terrible nightmare, missed my German class, chewed out by mom for missing German class (I stayed up late auspisticing between two roommates), and only managed to get food a couple minutes ago.

Blech.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32523 on: July 07, 2011, 05:43:51 pm »

Terrible nightmare, missed my German class, chewed out by mom for missing German class (I stayed up late auspisticing between two roommates), and only managed to get food a couple minutes ago.

Blech.

*Hugs*

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32524 on: July 07, 2011, 08:44:05 pm »

This is probably where the distinction between self defence (defending yourself to the degree where it's possible to run away and seek help) and "fighting back" (fighting for revenge or whatever) comes in.  I mean, why should the teacher come out on your side if you've engaged in the same behaviour as the other person?

There is a difference between people who start fights and people who finish fights. The distinction lies in that the attacker has chosen to assault some person for no good reason, while the defender might care to demonstrate that such behavour is not healthy. I expect that being bloodied is not a particularly encouraging thing for a bully. You can not consider both the same with “well, they were both fighting.”

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32525 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »

I think bullying can be stopped without attacking the opposing party but that's just me.
It's possible but sometimes you just need to deck a motherfucker before he decks you.

Walk softly but carry a big stick.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32526 on: July 07, 2011, 08:53:00 pm »

I just bought a bag of nacho chips 2/5th chips, 3/5 air.

These people clearly have no idea who they are messing with, because now I have no choice but to complain impotently and probably buy the same chips again next time.... Wait....

God damn it...
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32527 on: July 07, 2011, 09:04:42 pm »

Aren't chips sold by weight, not volume? or was this some take-away food? AFAIK chip packets contain lots of air to make them look bigger. Legally, weight is on the label, I'd imagine?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:06:13 pm by Reelyanoob »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32528 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:36 pm »

Yes, you're right, but specifically what pisses me off is that they do that to make you think you are getting more than you actually are. That's why the bottom of the bag is see through, the top is not....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32529 on: July 07, 2011, 09:50:08 pm »

http://thedailywh.at/2011/07/07/heartbreaking-tearjerker-of-the-day-4/
D:
In summary, a 12 year old from India killed herself so her eyes could be given to her father to restore his vision and her kidneys could save her dieing brother. She was cremated before the note explaining this was found.
It's not like she was necessarily a suitable organ donor anyway. Specially since she decided to commit suicide by drinking deadly poison
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32530 on: July 07, 2011, 10:43:16 pm »

I'm sad because apparently I got really fucking bad at Devil May Cry 4 in the time I spent not playing it.  I almost killed Berial without taking any damage the first time I did it, and I definitely didn't die three fucking times the first time I did it.
Shoes...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32531 on: July 07, 2011, 11:01:45 pm »

D:
In summary, a 12 year old from India killed herself so her eyes could be given to her father to restore his vision and her kidneys could save her dieing brother. She was cremated before the note explaining this was found.
It's not like she was necessarily a suitable organ donor anyway. Specially since she decided to commit suicide by drinking deadly poison
Eyes were probably fine, though. But I imagine her liver was completely ruined, plus brain and heart. Pesticides, y'know. Quite possibly kidneys as well, which is relevant here, but that one's up in the air IIRC.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32532 on: July 08, 2011, 09:55:55 am »

Ugh.  More nightmares, this time to the point that I barely slept last night.  Four hours of coherent sleep, if that.

What did I ever do to you, brain?!  What?

On the other hand, I feel safely buoyed by the thought that, once I start working hard again, I will feel better.  It will take a while, but it will happen.  And I will feel about twenty times better.

Oh, and I can feel things that have been long-broken beginning to heal themselves.  I just have to get stronger.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32533 on: July 08, 2011, 09:57:04 am »

D:
Eyes were probably fine, though. But I imagine her liver was completely ruined, plus brain and heart. Pesticides, y'know. Quite possibly kidneys as well, which is relevant here, but that one's up in the air IIRC.

it doesnt make it any less depessing

edit: i've been smoking up to four or five cigarettes a day... i'm too old to be this dumb
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:02:14 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32534 on: July 08, 2011, 10:41:44 am »

Quote from: Askot Bokbondeler link=topic=43236.msg2422472#msg2422472
edit: i've been smoking up to four or five cigarettes a day... i'm too old to be this dumb
[/quote
You may be, may not be, but you are never too old to become addicted. And thats the sad thing.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 ... 8167