Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2153 2154 [2155] 2156 2157 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440653 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32310 on: July 02, 2011, 02:06:10 pm »

Fat gives 9 kcal per gram, carbs give 5 kcal per gram... I don't really know that it gives less energy.

And, well, my brain chemistry is so unstable that that's not an option, haha.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32311 on: July 02, 2011, 02:07:19 pm »

I never understood diets myself. I just try to go hungry for as long as possible when I'm trying to lose weight. Seems like the most sensable option to me, assuming you don't try it to the level of anorexics.

Then again, I'm someone who sometimes forgets to get somthing to eat for a day or two even when I'm not trying to lose weight, so I might just be weird.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32312 on: July 02, 2011, 02:12:31 pm »

Got moved to a new desk at work at the beginning of the week.  Two out of the five days I have been in this spot, my new deskmate has left the seat smelling like it was soaked in stale butt sweat.  Ugh.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32313 on: July 02, 2011, 02:18:53 pm »

Is the next-to-none meat policy because of fats in the meat?
Maybe.
Eggs have low calories, high proteine, vitamins and other foodstuffs. Meat, not so much.

Oh, that makes sense.  Yeah, I'm really doing a similar thing, though I don't totally restrict sugar because my body basically stops working completely.
I wish I could.
Sugar abstinence is the only time I experience bodily cravings.
Up to the point, where my body goes candy-bar-hunting, without me realizing >.>
So yeah, I'll probably eat at least some other fruit, to keep my concentration up.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32314 on: July 02, 2011, 02:26:59 pm »

Fat gives 9 kcal per gram, carbs give 5 kcal per gram... I don't really know that it gives less energy.
Then I guess it must have been the "stops the body frim going into starvation conservatory mode" that was the main point. I never really read the papers I got on it, I kinda just said "sure, I can give it a try" without expecting anything from it, so I'm unsure about the finer points.

And, well, my brain chemistry is so unstable that that's not an option, haha.
You still get to eat fish-pills :P

I never understood diets myself. I just try to go hungry for as long as possible when I'm trying to lose weight. Seems like the most sensable option to me, assuming you don't try it to the level of anorexics.

Then again, I'm someone who sometimes forgets to get somthing to eat for a day or two even when I'm not trying to lose weight, so I might just be weird.
If you don't eat, the body does all it can to save energy, making it harder to lose weight, afaik. Also one of the reasoms breakfast is important, I've heard (from other sources than the above) - if you don't eat early enough, body thinks it'll get no food and goes into conserve all energy mode, storing as much food as possible of what you eat for the rest of the day.

There's also the thing about the brain starting to be damaged after 4, 5 days or so of too little nutrition.

Really, I think the best way to lose weight is to keep a low, not too low, but steady intake of food, and work out as needed. That's pretty much it.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32315 on: July 02, 2011, 02:32:23 pm »

a. I lean in that direction, so changing what I eat to less calorie-dense food helps calm down the impulse to just stop eating, and allows me to eat whenever I'm in the least bit hungry--it's pretty hard to get fat on beans and rice.

b. If I did that, I literally wouldn't be able to do anything else.  At all.  My brain burns sugar like no one's business, which is why I still end up eating a lot of sugar and honey even when I'm losing weight.  Most of my "diet" is about increasing fruit, eggs, and vegetables, not trying to get away from sugar--well, other than trying to eat more rice and less bread.  I'm actually pretty much incapable of getting the simple sugars I need from fruit alone, as far as I can tell--well, from the fruit I have access to, anyway.  If I ate a pound or two of cherries a day I might be okay  ::)

Seriously, when I'm actually working, I'll sometimes need to eat five or more meals a day; I remember one evening when I snacked around to the tune of the calories one would normally eat for dinner... and then turned around and ate an entire pound of almonds.  And woke up hungry the next day.

c. When I run low on food, I start being incredibly angry and anxious.  This can happen if I miss only one meal.

So... yeah.  I don't know what my body's chemical balance is up to, but thank goodness I've finally built up enough tolerance for caffeine that I can drink tea without everything shutting down.

You still get to eat fish-pills :P

Yeah, but I've got problems even beyond that with brain sugar and so on.

*sigh*

Actually, I have worried about brain damage from my self-starvation stint at Berkeley, but I think I only dropped below 400 calories on a few days... and I can say that I'm certainly at least twice as good at math as I was, though woefully out of practice, so hopefully I'm okay =/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:33:55 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #32316 on: July 02, 2011, 02:39:59 pm »

I was worried about you during that self-starvation period as well. I'm glad you're doing better.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32317 on: July 02, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »

I was worried about you during that self-starvation period as well. I'm glad you're doing better.

Yeah, thank you.  I'm actually at the point where I'd rather be fat than ever diet like that again, so... I guess I can say that I'm a lot healthier =)

Just got to get back to training instead of sitting around like a lump, so I can get the mental fluidity I lost back.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32318 on: July 02, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »

Is the next-to-none meat policy because of fats in the meat?
Maybe.
Eggs have low calories, high proteine, vitamins and other foodstuffs. Meat, not so much.
I see.. I woulda guessed they were pretty much the same, but it does make sense of there being a lot more other stuff in eggs. Being the growthplace of creatures, that is. Gotta have it's own nutrition for some time, and all.

Oh, that makes sense.  Yeah, I'm really doing a similar thing, though I don't totally restrict sugar because my body basically stops working completely.
I wish I could.
Sugar abstinence is the only time I experience bodily cravings.
Up to the point, where my body goes candy-bar-hunting, without me realizing >.>
So yeah, I'll probably eat at least some other fruit, to keep my concentration up.
It was very hard for me to stop eating sugar as well, and I went back on as soon as summer hit, as I said. Not so much candy, however (I haven't eaten candy regularly in years), but all the delicious bread and jams and marmalade and juices and stuff..! Very hard stopping eating those. Especially when they just sat in the fridge waiting to go bad, nobody touching the poor things.. You almost feel bad for them. Good fruits gave their lives for me to be able to eat jam, dammit!

Actually, I have worried about brain damage from my self-starvation stint at Berkeley, but I think I only dropped below 400 calories on a few days... and I can say that I'm certainly at least twice as good at math as I was, though woefully out of practice, so hopefully I'm okay =/
Then think of how smart you could have been! *runs away and hides*
No, but seriously, I'm not sure it would be enough damage to matter anyway, from shorter periods and for adults/almost-adults. Learning, and continual training and exercising the brain is what matters most, from my experience. Not letting it fall to non-use and decline, whatever it is you are doing with it.

And, well, you need food for that too, I guess. Isn't the brain the biggest energy-eater in the body? I remember hearing something like that.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32319 on: July 02, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »

Yup.  Expensive tissue hypothesis =)

Then think of how smart you could have been! *runs away and hides*
No, but seriously, I'm not sure it would be enough damage to matter anyway, from shorter periods and for adults/almost-adults. Learning, and continual training and exercising the brain is what matters most, from my experience. Not letting it fall to non-use and decline, whatever it is you are doing with it.

Roffle.  If that's the response I'd be getting to that, I'll say it's a good sign.

I think I just feel out of synch because I spent the last semester swallowing as many papers and articles on feminism/progressivism as I could, rather than spending the entire time doing math.  I think I'm about caught up, though, so I'll be able to work on other things now.  Like the semester of Russian I'm supposed to be learning this summer  ::)

Quote from: MGS fanboy on youtube, in a context that would imply an attempt at a positive statement
Snake is rape

At this point, I'm just sad.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32320 on: July 02, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »

It's wierd for me to see people talking about this stuff.  I've gone through various eating habits, including starvation, and always felt the same no matter what.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32321 on: July 02, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »

Compiling a work-intensive post.
And here goes my evening...

Dimitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32322 on: July 02, 2011, 03:15:35 pm »

It's been a miserable summer.
Averaging 100+ in the shade with 80-100% humidity every day.

Heat does not agree with me and I do not agree with it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32323 on: July 02, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »

Heat neats to be a boss battle in a video game, kind of like how Death sometimes is.  I want to beat the crap out of Heat.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32324 on: July 02, 2011, 03:36:11 pm »

Heat neats to be a boss battle in a video game[...]

Pages: 1 ... 2153 2154 [2155] 2156 2157 ... 8167