Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2151 2152 [2153] 2154 2155 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439143 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32280 on: July 02, 2011, 07:00:44 am »

One of my best friends and his wife have been trying to conceive for a while now, and were told they had about a 2-5% chance of doing so without artificial means. Lo and behold, they actually got pregnant a short while ago without any medical intervention.

They were at 7 weeks, and told they only had about a 10-15% chance of a miscarriage. Well....improbability giveth and improbability taketh away.  :'(

It's times like this I'm glad I don't believe in an anthropomorphized higher consciousness running the show, because my only response could be to run around shouting "FUCK YOU" at said celestial dickhead.  >:(

Now if you'll excuse me, imma go punch out the Universe.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32281 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:25 am »

It's an accepted usage. And accepted usages ARE the basis of language.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=that's%20so%20metal

something so hardcore it can only be compared to metal (the music that is)

Soooo.......

Err....

Are you saying that his bleeding blood out of his ass is hardcore? Um... Why not just say "That's hardcore", rather than confusing me by using some obscure phrase with one definition about a genre half the world thinks is shit (Myself included)? Yeah, that isn't how language evolves. Go spiky figgen yourself.

Redking, that's horrible. Poor guy.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32282 on: July 02, 2011, 07:08:43 am »

I thought that a 5% chance of conception was the standard. It appears I was mistaken, I guess.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32283 on: July 02, 2011, 07:25:15 am »

Are you saying that his bleeding blood out of his ass is hardcore? Um... Why not just say "That's hardcore", rather than confusing me by using some obscure phrase with one definition about a genre half the world thinks is shit (Myself included)? Yeah, that isn't how language evolves.

Err...it's not an obscure phrase. Case in point. It's on t-shirts, coffee mugs, and this classic exchange from the hit animated series, Metalocalypse:

Health Inspector: All right, listen up! First things first. The conditions down here are repugnant! It's infested with rats, moles, and some strain of flesh-eating virus.
Nathan: Pretty metal.
Murderface: Pretty metal.
Health Inspector: Oh is it? Your staff is dying down here. Is that metal?
Murderface: I hate to say it, but, yeah.
Nathan:: Yeah, not to be contradictory but it's very metal.
Health Inspector: (pause) Is it metal to have your drains clogged with dead, rotting employees?
Nathan: Yeah. It is, actually.
Murderface: Metal.
Health Inspector: Is it metal to have easily avoidable work-related accidents the cause of death?
Murderface: Yeah, again, metal.
Health Inspector: Is it metal for none of you to care at all?
Nathan: Yeah it's way more metal if we don't care about it.
Health Inspector: Well... I guess I uh didn't know all that stuff was metal. Anyway, follow me.

MSH: I think it's like 5% per attempt normally. Which adds up after a while. Theirs was like 2-5% cumulative chance.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:27:40 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32284 on: July 02, 2011, 07:25:40 am »

Are you saying that his bleeding blood out of his ass is hardcore? Um... Why not just say "That's hardcore", rather than confusing me by using some obscure phrase with one definition about a genre half the world thinks is shit (Myself included)? Yeah, that isn't how language evolves. Go spiky figgen yourself.

Heh no need to snark at me with obceneties, after all I'm only replying to your targetted attack on myself.

That obscure usage has been around since the early 1980's if not longer. Nobody says "Spiky figgen". Googling Spiky Figgen gives 284 hits (and will be measurably increased due to our conversation here). Googling "That's so metal" give 401 million hits. More than 1 million references for each Spiky figgen. 6 orders of magnitude more established. It's printed on Mugs, T-Shirts and Magnets. Spiky Figgen is not.

The "point" of the reference is thus :-

1. Angel of Death is a Metal fan, not a hardcore fan. "That's so Hardcore" would be relevant if he were a punk. In fact "that's so hardcore" only warrants one half the number of hits of "That's So Metal" making it the more obscure term.

2. "That's so Metal" is usually deemed a good thing. And metal-related-imagery often involves blood.

3. "Get well soon" with it's 1950's greeting-card slogan, is about as far from "metal" as you can get, and also implies something bad going on, directly contradicting the normal usage of the Phrase "That's so Metal". ... Hence adding humor to the statement, through contrast and contradiction (implying being "metal" is a disease to be treated), which you have just ruined by me having to explain it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:34:20 am by Reelyanoob »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32285 on: July 02, 2011, 07:35:03 am »

Except it would be. Hardcore is an adjective. Metal is not.

So you are congratulating him on possibly being horribly ill? Jesus christ, B12 isn't what it used to be.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32286 on: July 02, 2011, 07:36:38 am »

"metal hammer"
"metal door"
"metal mickey"
Which one isn't used as an adjective?

To paraphrase my original statement:-
"dude that's so metal ... get well soon"

I've explained that statement in detail. If you continue not to understand the pop culture references, that's not my problem.
I was trying to cheer him up with a joke he'd understand as it is commonly used within his sub-culture.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:40:35 am by Reelyanoob »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32287 on: July 02, 2011, 07:37:43 am »

Uh... googling "That's so metal" actually gives you 5,560 results (while "That's so hardcore" gives you 57,400).  Googling it without quotes is extremely misleading (since the vast majority of the hits won't contain the phrase "that's so metal" anywhere, and thus won't support your idea that the phrase has very high usage... for instance, by page 37 you find stuff like this that isn't relevant at all).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32288 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:52 am »

something so hardcore it can only be compared to metal (the music that is)

Soooo.......

Err....

Since I was ninja'd by other people explaining how common a phrase "X is metal" is, I'll just leave the last part of my post to reduce chances of dogpiling:

[...]
And no, there is no singular way language "should" evolve. It evolves the way people use it. Grammar rules are made to describe language, not define how it is used. Language-use defines grammar.

pre-edit: And yet another no, "metal" is an adjective. Example: "This is a metal band."
Even if there was some kind of strange rule in English saying "nouns can't be adjectives", there would still be exceptions and irregularities.

ARGH stop ninjaing me!
Love, scriver~

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32289 on: July 02, 2011, 07:41:20 am »

In fact, yes, there is an adjective form of "metal". However, the proper noun usage "Metal" is a noun.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32290 on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:18 am »

Well how do you know i was using the noun form and not the adjective form? Just because you say so? that makes no sense.
The capital is for emphasis. Just as I could write Strong with a capital, yet it's still an adjective.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:47:49 am by Reelyanoob »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32291 on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:48 am »

That makes no sense, breadbocks. It is an adjective, but it's "proper" use is as a noun? If it is an adjective, it's "proper" to use it as and adjective. Were it a verb, it would be the same. Saying "That's so Metal" is using an adjective as an adjective. How can you find this not "proper"?
Love, scriver~

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #32292 on: July 02, 2011, 07:48:32 am »

This isn't sad thread materiel. Please go discuss it elsewhere.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32293 on: July 02, 2011, 07:55:44 am »

I'm feeling light-headed and dizzy... I hate it when that happens.

Also, on a less sad note, I looked in my ADOM file and it had about 126 savescum files D:
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32294 on: July 02, 2011, 11:01:16 am »

Dude, emergency room. Not a doctor's appointment.

Spoiler: elaboration (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2151 2152 [2153] 2154 2155 ... 8167