Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2146 2147 [2148] 2149 2150 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435554 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32205 on: June 30, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »

The rule of the game is you have to 100% stick to the timer, and then onto the next sketch.
No. The rule of the game is that we are all the same and my blocks must create unbroken rows.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32206 on: June 30, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »

What has you discouraged about drawing?
Looking at the finished product.

Another tactic to break malaise is to draw really fast. Put a timer on and repeatedly draw things with only a 3-5 minute allowed window (probably drawing from 3D objects or internet images. The rule of the game is you have to 100% stick to the timer, and then onto the next sketch. You can use up a lot of scrap paper with this. But it forces you to really draw and not dither on details, and you learn to focus on the broad design and get it done. It worked for my art classes I took.
Another fun thing is drawing in pen.

It really makes stops you from guessing where you want a line, and makes you be sure where you want a line.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32207 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:08 pm »

Just thinking about it makes me start twitching   D:
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32208 on: June 30, 2011, 10:22:21 pm »

Just thinking about it makes me start twitching   D:
I was once in your shoes. Now I love ballpoint doodles. I'm not that great at drawing or anything, but I love how light, how dark, and just how varied ballpoint lines can be compared to pencils. My only issue is I get less variety in line weight, but it's sort of solved by going over the line again.

In sadder news, I have browsed the internet for Patchouli pictures to replace my avatar, with very little luck. I think I am too anal about what Patchy picture I wish to use.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32209 on: June 30, 2011, 10:25:31 pm »

I do almost everything digitally...

but I won't deny that I could probably benefit a ton from making myself do some quick sketch and pen exercises.  I just wouldn't enjoy them.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32210 on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:37 pm »

I can't do much digitally. I have a very small tablet compared to my monitor, so it makes it too difficult for me to do details or anything. I must save up for a larger tablet.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32211 on: June 30, 2011, 10:38:18 pm »

In sadder news, I have browsed the internet for Patchouli pictures to replace my avatar, with very little luck. I think I am too anal about what Patchy picture I wish to use.

Where are you looking?

On the topic of drawing and such, I find watching other people's processes helps.
You can find a lot of stuff on Youtube, and there's sometimes good things on /i/ or other chans' oekaki boards.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32212 on: June 30, 2011, 10:40:56 pm »

Looking in the 'boorus. Mind you, I'm not done looking through all the pictures. I've only searched through some via tags that interest me.

I might hit up Pixiv next.

But like I said, I'm pretty anal about the styles I like and stuff, not to mention the sheer volume of pictures I need to look through. I just might stick with my current Patchou. I like even though I'm looking for something new.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32213 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:15 pm »

I can't do much digitally. I have a very small tablet compared to my monitor, so it makes it too difficult for me to do details or anything. I must save up for a larger tablet.

I'm selling my old 8"x6" Intuous 3 after upgrading.  It's about 5 years old, but that model is still one of the best (only outdone by Intuous 4 or Cintiq) and it's in near perfect condition because I was always really careful with it.

I have everything except the original box and packaged software, plus the travel bag, airbrush pen, and a laptop bag that I used for transporting the entire set or safekeeping when I wasn't using it.  So accessories are worth somewhere around $120 on their own.

Asking $170 for all of it.  I've already offered it to all of my friends who might use it, but none will be able to afford it any time soon.  I'm about to just throw it up on craigslist or ebay.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:44:41 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32214 on: June 30, 2011, 10:47:56 pm »

Wow, thanks much for asking, especially since you're letting go for such a cheap price.

However, I'm hoping to eventually save for a larger one. It would be nice to have at that price, but there's not much sense in me dropping the money if I'm going to upgrade anyways, except for hopes in selling it for a profit.

Thanks again though.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32215 on: June 30, 2011, 10:51:51 pm »

Dear Google, both I and my visual processing issues hate you.

Also all my other issues.  All of them.

I don't know what your particular issues are, precisely, with that page. I know only that looking at that layout makes my brain physically hurt, and I know enough to know that a brain can't actually do that. Ow.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32216 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »

I have a 1280 by 1040 and my tablet is 5.8 x 3.6. :\/

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32217 on: June 30, 2011, 10:54:44 pm »

I don't know what your particular issues are, precisely, with that page. I know only that looking at that layout makes my brain physically hurt, and I know enough to know that a brain can't actually do that. Ow.

Yeah, I basically can't stand to look at it.

And my disdainful streak is going "Oh my god, really?  That's all you can say about mathematics?  How lame!  You guys all suck!  I liked math BEFORE it was cool!"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32218 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:43 pm »

I have a 1280 by 1040 and my tablet is 5.8 x 3.6. :\/
Mine is 4" x 5" on a 1680x1050.

The ratios make it map out sore of weird.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32219 on: June 30, 2011, 11:17:03 pm »

I upgraded to an 18x12 with a 1920x1080 monitor.  It's actually too big... I was planning to have a better monitor to go with it months ago, but those plans got shot to hell.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 2146 2147 [2148] 2149 2150 ... 8167