Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2145 2146 [2147] 2148 2149 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435506 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32190 on: June 30, 2011, 05:35:36 pm »

Just decide that you're right and keep at it.

Oh, I know I'm right.

I just don't understand why people think "Vector's terrible fashion sense" is an appropriate topic of conversation.  As in I actually just don't get it.  Bloody confusing people.

My suggestion: Go into the meeting with a math book. When they start on about CUTE FRILLY CLOTHES and MATERIALISM and whatnot, bury your nose in the book. If they call attention to you, respond with something like, "I don't have time for all that crap, I'm busy," and go back to your book.

Can't do that; it'd be rude, and she wouldn't understand the point (trust me, I've tried.  The response was more of the flavor "aww, poor autistic girl!" than "maybe I should stuff it").  I know she's just trying to interact with me; on her planet, where that sort of thing is common enough, she's just sharing her interests and trying to be enthusiastic and positive about her life.  On my planet, she's rubbing a lifestyle I don't have in her face and lauding herself snootily.

Similarly, the tenor of her explanations of things like "Who St. Augustine was, anyway:" on her planet, explaining with a touch of pride to the previous "smartest person she'd ever met" the fruits of her private schooling.  On my planet, rude and bloody well unnecessary, because information should be passed with primary emotion focused on the joy of having something beautiful to share, not the joy of schooling someone else.

And, when she says things like "Oh, poor thing!" when I'm telling a story with some vaguely negative components, she's expressing sympathy, but on my world a. that's a rude way to do it and b. usually I'm giving signals of "this is a funny story and I'm laughing at myself, so laugh with me instead of making me look like I'm a whiny complainster."

It pretty much goes on that way.

Just to chime in, I think there's a slight maturity disparity between you and her; you might be feeling the weight of reason and personal responsibility, as compared to her general lack thereof. I don't mean this to be judgmental; I just think Thyme adopted her pointedly outlandish and quirky persona as a low-maintenance way of interacting with others, which doesn't require a great deal of rational, and lets her avoid personal responsibility, and ownership of her behaviors. It's much easier, and I imagine striving for Difference probably makes her feel special and wanted.

Hmm... thank you.  I probably agree with that, though I still don't know how it happened.  She's been driving me nuts for years over this sort of thing, and I don't think 10 months' difference would have the same sort of impact over a 10 year span of knowing each other.

On the other hand... who knows?

If you read the above list you'll be back on track to trumpet so-called "genius" to your friend. I'm sure there's more to add.

Thanks for the list!  There were some entries on there that I hadn't heard of, or really thought to try.

The difficulty here isn't that I lack a list of extremely "elitist" books and personal achievements to trumpet back at her.  I've read a lot of those, and know the basic ideas of most of the rest (or have read equivalent works).  I have a variety of friends (though I have to say that I'll always be a loner, because that's as fundamental to me as my habit of building a "clan").  I speak five languages, all from disparate families--and snippets of five more.  I've been asked to write an honors thesis, begged to join various departments, have the (almost impossible to gain) affection and respect of the math department.  My competence and effortless weirdness are famed to the point where folks spread rumors about me.  I've been asked to teach courses as an undergraduate at Berkeley--on fashion design as a semiotic system, of all things.

Her boyfriend is an autistic college dropout who (in my opinion) treats her badly, including basically telling her how and when to talk; the main guy wooing me is a prominent and well-adjusted physicist from Mali, who just won an award from the French government for his work.

But I don't bring these things up much, or at all, because my goal is not to make her feel bad or inferior.  The fact that I have bigger cannons on my boat doesn't mean that I have any desire to engage.  These are all... things.  They're important to me, and my life, and my career, but there's no good reason for me to beat other people about the face with them.  I don't believe in that sort of opportunistic hierarchy.  I'd like it if we could just be comfortable with ourselves.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32191 on: June 30, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »

I feel sad because I'm sick of myself. Remember when you were about 14, and you had ambition to do something, but lacked the skills to do it? Yes? Don't bother reading, it'll probably be a rehash of what you thought until you actually did something about it. No? Okay, this will be fun. So, at some point most people if not all had the ambition to do something, anything, and probably lacked the skill to do it. This is like ANGST!! except moar boring because nobody starts a fist fight and you can't level up and just power through the dialog to get the sword that teaches Firaga. So, now I'm stuck with this, and no means to get to what I'm looking for. I'm still working on drawing-against my better judgement, but I can't find anything that really *works* for me (cue people saying I have to put in more effort, which I do), and I would love to continue stuff with Ruby, but I want to get my IDE on my desktop because my internet is pretty much fucked if I use my router.  I had a really STUPID metaphor to go with this, but I decided against it. If you really wanna know, PM me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32192 on: June 30, 2011, 06:17:44 pm »

What has you discouraged about drawing?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32193 on: June 30, 2011, 06:18:36 pm »

Looking at the finished product.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32194 on: June 30, 2011, 06:25:48 pm »

Take more time getting to the finished product.  I'm pretty sure anybody can make art that looks good.  There are only two major differences between a master and a beginner.

1.  A more developed eye.  You learn more about the kind of compositions that develop interest and how to translate what you see or imagine into a 2d image on paper.  There are tricks to it, such as figuring out how to break complex objects down into basic shapes that can then be refined, or comparing relative positions of objects to make proper perspective.

2.  Speed.  Even the above is mostly about speed.

So just take your time drawing.  Keep plugging away at a single image until you like what you see.  Don't give up on it until you do.  Don't ever say it's finished until you're happy with it.  Every time you do this, you will make less mistakes in the process and take less time overall to make something that you're satisfied with.

It's not as much about effort as it is patience.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32195 on: June 30, 2011, 06:48:16 pm »

WARNING: WATCHING THE LINKED VIDEO MAY RESULT IN ONE OR MORE OF THESE SIDE EFFECTS; NUMB BRAIN, COMA, INSANITY, BABBLING, SLEEP DISORDER, OR MILD NAUSEA
PLEASE, BE SAFE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRF28GvoL7M

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Related:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWKg_E3mWsw&feature=related
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32196 on: June 30, 2011, 07:45:14 pm »

Sunburn oh god. If I stay under the fan I am freezing to death, but if I move away from it I'm on fire.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32197 on: June 30, 2011, 07:45:51 pm »

Find a middle ground?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32198 on: June 30, 2011, 07:47:58 pm »

Take more time getting to the finished product.  I'm pretty sure anybody can make art that looks good.  There are only two major differences between a master and a beginner.

1.  A more developed eye.  You learn more about the kind of compositions that develop interest and how to translate what you see or imagine into a 2d image on paper.  There are tricks to it, such as figuring out how to break complex objects down into basic shapes that can then be refined, or comparing relative positions of objects to make proper perspective.

So just take your time drawing.  Keep plugging away at a single image until you like what you see.  Don't give up on it until you do.  Don't ever say it's finished until you're happy with it.  Every time you do this, you will make less mistakes in the process and take less time overall to make something that you're satisfied with.

allow me to respectfully disagree, working endlessly on the same drawing wont get you anywhere, what you have to do is recognize that you suck and learn to live with it. stop caring about the finished product, toss it away and do it again. getting some pointers will get you a long way ahead, but learning to draw is basically grinding for xp.
those techniques about breaking up the shape etc. are just one way of doing it and if you're not careful they may even make you a worse artist. my advice is, take a lot of advice from a lot of people, do not confine yourself to a specific technique, draw everyday a few hours a day preferably, and finally, draw from life.

there's a lot more speciffic advice i could give you but here is not the place. stop by the engravers guild, if you havent, that thread is needing a bump.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32199 on: June 30, 2011, 07:56:27 pm »

allow me to respectfully disagree, working endlessly on the same drawing wont get you anywhere, what you have to do is recognize that you suck and learn to live with it. stop caring about the finished product, toss it away and do it again. getting some pointers will get you a long way ahead, but learning to draw is basically grinding for xp.
those techniques about breaking up the shape etc. are just one way of doing it and if you're not careful they may even make you a worse artist. my advice is, take a lot of advice from a lot of people, do not confine yourself to a specific technique, draw everyday a few hours a day preferably, and finally, draw from life.

there's a lot more speciffic advice i could give you but here is not the place. stop by the engravers guild, if you havent, that thread is needing a bump.
Oh what the hey, let's make an art quote pyramid derail.

My advice is: Try everything. Seriously. Try drawing sketchy, try drawing pixel art, try drawing EVERYTHING. Eventually, you'll find something you're good at or really enjoy doing. Once you get that, practice it until you're great, then most of the other stuff will seem a lot less difficult.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32200 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »

Sure, recognize that you suck... but everybody sucks at any specialized skill when they first start out.  Don't be too discouraged.

And it depends on what you're doing when endlessly working on that one drawing, or what that drawing is.  If you're just doing something, deciding you don't like it, erasing it, and doing exactly the same thing again on repeat... yeah that won't get you anywhere.  You do need to try different techniques and different types of drawings, which I apparently didn't communicate well enough the first time. 

But if you start a new project every time you want to try a new technique or decide that you don't like the way something looks (which can be changed), then you will never finish anything, which is a worse kind of not getting anywhere.  I still have trouble keeping myself from falling into that trap.  I'll learn about a new technique or a new software tool, and I'll look at the 3d model I'm working on and go... "Damn... if I had started this project like that, it would have gone so much easier..."  Cue loss of interest and starting over with a new project, where exactly the same thing happens.  It's really easy to get stuck in that cycle.

It is basically grinding for xp.  There's no "Huuuuurgh draw harder" type effort that can be put forth.  Just patience and focus, no matter whose advice you follow.  The people who can sketch up a great looking character in a matter of seconds and make it look easy usually practiced every single day for 10+ years before reaching that point.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32201 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:42 pm »

Its not faaaaaiiiiir
I rolled a character with --Spatial and ------Left brain skill aptitude
D:

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32202 on: June 30, 2011, 08:49:19 pm »

Dear Google, both I and my visual processing issues hate you.

Also all my other issues.  All of them.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32203 on: June 30, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »

Looking at the finished product.

Another tactic to break malaise is to draw really fast. Put a timer on and repeatedly draw things with only a 3-5 minute allowed window (probably drawing from 3D objects or internet images. The rule of the game is you have to 100% stick to the timer, and then onto the next sketch. You can use up a lot of scrap paper with this. But it forces you to really draw and not dither on details, and you learn to focus on the broad design and get it done. It worked for my art classes I took.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:59:14 pm by Reelyanoob »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32204 on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:25 pm »

that's a really good exercise. try drawing hands or mirror self portraits that way, and go all the range from 2 second drawings to 5 minutes
Pages: 1 ... 2145 2146 [2147] 2148 2149 ... 8167