Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2074 2075 [2076] 2077 2078 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9458567 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #31125 on: June 11, 2011, 09:39:20 am »

Something's going down this weekend (in the "Federal probe" sense not the technical "things are broken" sense), and I don't fully know what. This makes me uneasy. I dislike lawyers. I dislike them even more when they're shrouding everything they do and I'm expected to cater to their needs without being briefed on basics.

But you said that me linking to that wikileaks cable would be safe!

In seriousness, I hope it works out ok.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31126 on: June 11, 2011, 09:54:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
at least with me you can be sure you wont lose
While I appreciate the gesture, that's simple too much effort and too little overview.

http://www.chess.com  ;)
If you don't mind strangers playing on some online site always works.

While I prefer to play in person, with a real board and figurines, I guess I don't have much of a choice right now.
Might as well try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31127 on: June 11, 2011, 09:58:14 am »

This thread towards the end.
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31128 on: June 11, 2011, 10:01:33 am »

Wow, that's... really fucking disgusting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31129 on: June 11, 2011, 10:02:11 am »

My policy on the upper forums is not to overestimate the maturity or intelligence of a user whose username I don't recognize on sight. My policy down here is to do exactly the opposite, but with the usernames I recognize, so that I can be happily blown away when someone acts beyond immature or stupid.

Sorry that people are sexist idiots.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31130 on: June 11, 2011, 10:04:24 am »

Sorry that people are sexist idiots.
How exactly were they sexist? I just found it to be more of a completely out of hand, inapropriate joke.

[EDIT] I'm going to re-read the thread when I'm not so tired.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:06:41 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31131 on: June 11, 2011, 10:06:27 am »

My policy down here is to do exactly the opposite, but with the usernames I recognize, so that I can be happily blown away when someone acts beyond immature or stupid.
That probably happens a lot with me.

And yeah, that is bad.

How exactly were they sexist? I just found it to be more of a completely out of hand, inapropriate joke.
Aaaaand why was it inappropriate? That's how.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31132 on: June 11, 2011, 10:06:50 am »

. . .

Give him a girl?  Gift her to him?

The men have control, so they can donate one of us to gratify the creator of their game.  And it's probably okay because not all of the "females" here are ugly.

You do know that "female" is the term used for animals, right?  The term for humans is "women."

And then they justify it with saying that DF makes this act pale in comparison, and we should be totally okay with being exchanged like livestock.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31133 on: June 11, 2011, 10:08:32 am »

Well alright, only one person or two was being sexist, but it was highly uncalled for and set the tone of the entire thread.

The rest was just people being idiots, minus the sexist.

That probably happens a lot with me.

No, you exist under the Darvi Clause. Since you are easily the most entertaining spam-poster, in my mind you are granted exemption from the high levels of sanity expected of everyone down here.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31134 on: June 11, 2011, 10:08:57 am »

. . .

Give him a girl?  Gift her to him?

The men have control, so they can donate one of us to gratify the creator of their game.  And it's probably okay because not all of the "females" here are ugly.

You do know that "female" is the term used for animals, right?  The term for humans is "women."

And then they justify it with saying that DF makes this act pale in comparison, and we should be totally okay with being exchanged like livestock.
And Vector has once again summed it up in a much better way than I could
*Hugs*

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31135 on: June 11, 2011, 10:17:25 am »

...Lest you get the wrong idea about DF, this justification doesn't work at all.  Female dwarves (...you can't be a woman if you're not human, I think?) are equal to male dwarves in every respect except that they occasionally have babies (and then go straight back to work).

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31136 on: June 11, 2011, 10:21:14 am »

...Lest you get the wrong idea about DF, this justification doesn't work at all.  Female dwarves (...you can't be a woman if you're not human, I think?) are equal to male dwarves in every respect except that they occasionally have babies (and then go straight back to work).
The bit she's basing that off is that when I pointed out the comparison to a commodity the response was "But you're ok with killing puppies and kitties to satisfy an insane dwarf's needs. Funny how the world works"
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31137 on: June 11, 2011, 10:24:22 am »

The bit she's basing that off is that when I pointed out the comparison to a commodity the response was "But you're ok with killing puppies and kitties to satisfy an insane dwarf's needs. Funny how the world works"

It's like they don't understand that this is how women are actually treated (on a fundamental, less-visible level in most cases, but certainly not all)... you know, in the real world.  Which makes the "joke" rather less funny.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31138 on: June 11, 2011, 10:25:09 am »

Yeah.

I'm also sick of how that seems to be the stock response to anything of the sort "But in Dwarf Fortress, you do this so it's fine!! :D"
*Hugs*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31139 on: June 11, 2011, 10:50:58 am »

Something's going down this weekend (in the "Federal probe" sense not the technical "things are broken" sense), and I don't fully know what. This makes me uneasy. I dislike lawyers. I dislike them even more when they're shrouding everything they do and I'm expected to cater to their needs without being briefed on basics.

But you said that me linking to that wikileaks cable would be safe!

In seriousness, I hope it works out ok.
No worries, it's not me they're after. I posted about this a couple of months back. Still doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. Like I said back then, it was a decent plan that went horribly wrong. And while the situation warrants that some heads are going to roll, I'm cringing at the political response once the findings of the investigation are made public and the Republicans start screaming to cut ATF's funding or even dissolve the Bureau altogether.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2074 2075 [2076] 2077 2078 ... 8167