Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2071 2072 [2073] 2074 2075 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456016 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #31080 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:56 am »

I hate pulling all-nighters. Nothing happens at night and I hate sleeping during the day. :C

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31081 on: June 09, 2011, 03:24:13 pm »

Memories are such complicated things. Sometimes you want to forget and live on and other times you worry one day you'll actually forget and lose yourself completely.

With memories like scars, or beautiful memoires
The past can hurt and teach, with today within our reach
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31082 on: June 09, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31083 on: June 09, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »

Close friends are made by opening up to people and being opened up to in return.  It's hard to be close with people who don't understand you or have reasons to care.  It takes some bravery.  It also takes good judgement.  It's easy to get hurt by opening up to the wrong people.

I don't know if I'm telling you anything you don't already know.  It does pain me, and I think most people here, to see someone so bright and energetic crippled with emotional/social problems.  I am guessing you are much more open about your problems here than you are in "real life", and that you bear a lot of emotional burden in complete solitude, which isn't healthy.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31084 on: June 09, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »

:-\
I wish I could help.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31085 on: June 09, 2011, 04:21:49 pm »

I wish I could help.
Same here. Sadly, I fear I'll just give utterly shit "help"
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31086 on: June 09, 2011, 04:36:39 pm »

I could give you advice that helped me in that regard.

But then I'd come across as a massive douche.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31087 on: June 09, 2011, 04:44:37 pm »

UOAARRRGH! FUCK!

My internet just decided that it would be fun to slow down to unbearable proportions. This is NOT 1998, I don't want to have to wait 2 hours for a video to load.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31088 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »

Thank you for replying.

Close friends are made by opening up to people and being opened up to in return.  It's hard to be close with people who don't understand you or have reasons to care.  It takes some bravery.  It also takes good judgement.  It's easy to get hurt by opening up to the wrong people.

My problem right now is that I talk to people, ask them questions, make them laugh uproariously, and they basically don't talk back.  They seem like they're honestly laughing, but they're happy to just sit there and never ask me a question in return.  I leave space for them to talk, asking general questions like what their interests are... I try to keep from intimidating them, even.  In the "go around the classroom" introductory things where some people spontaneously start bragging about having studied two or three languages already, I just omitted that portion as a few other people did, gave my major and name as requested, and ended it.  I was kind of proud of myself for thinking ahead on that one... =/

I talk about myself a little--not much, because I know that I can be kind of overwhelmingly enthusiastic about interests.  I'm pretty sure I came off like a whackjob all the same, though.  I get tired and nervous and my compunctions against silly rules disappear, like "don't stand on chairs to look out the window."  Who the hell even cares.  I just want to look out the window from a higher view.  My boots aren't all that dirty and no one was using that chair anyway.

And maybe it was a turnoff when someone asked me if I was going to study seriously for the exam tomorrow and I said "yes," adding with a laugh (when they looked a bit uncomfortable) that it was because otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep.  That was probably the wrong answer, albeit an honest one.

Maybe I just don't make enough eye contact.  I feel like I do quite a bit, but when I'm concentrating on something I can never look at someone's face and think at the same time.

But what the hell am I supposed to do, anyway.  I don't lie any more than any person lies when the words are fuzzy and poorly defined.  I try to act as quickly as I can to solve problems.  I don't whack people over the head with my diagnoses and sexual orientation... I don't tell them when they're annoying me or hurting me.  I don't even push my interests on people, which is bloody hard when you've gone this long without talking to anyone outside one's family about anything one finds interesting (and even there in a very limited fashion, because I've studied so much more than either of my parents).  I show up every morning with energy and a smile, ready to commiserate or rejoice as necessary.  I exhaust myself keeping my shit together.  I answer class questions promptly, make an effort to talk to foreign students and get their names right (and give them the best advice/help I possibly can if they ask for it), do interesting things with the target language...

There's just something that isn't in the right slot, I guess.  As you can see above, I'm just trying to salvage my pride.  I'm tired of being ashamed of myself.  Somehow, though, it seems only sensible.

I don't know if I'm telling you anything you don't already know.  It does pain me, and I think most people here, to see someone so bright and energetic crippled with emotional/social problems.  I am guessing you are much more open about your problems here than you are in "real life", and that you bear a lot of emotional burden in complete solitude, which isn't healthy.

I wish I could help.

Same here. Sadly, I fear I'll just give utterly shit "help"

I could give you advice that helped me in that regard.

But then I'd come across as a massive douche.

Well, er, thanks most of you guys.  No, I generally don't talk to anyone about my emotional or social problems.  Life has sort of informed me, rather loudly, that I shouldn't.

Oh, well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31089 on: June 09, 2011, 06:37:33 pm »

My mum has been complaining of lung pain for a while now and she just coughed up blood.

This ain't going to end well...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31090 on: June 09, 2011, 07:02:30 pm »

It could be that people sense your tension, or are daunted by your energy.  Not in the sense that you're hyper, but that you try so hard at everything you do, which most people can't or wont.  I had people comment on these things about me when I was younger, and I spent years practicing the appearance of being relaxed around people, which seems to have resulted in being more approachable.  I still get jittery (eye twitches and shakiness) when trying really hard to be sincere or engaging in conversation or social activities that are new to me.

Well, er, thanks most of you guys.  No, I generally don't talk to anyone about my emotional or social problems.  Life has sort of informed me, rather loudly, that I shouldn't.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why?  Those are exactly the types of problems that should be discussed with people who are expressly willing, and at an appropriate stage.  They're very hard to resolve alone, and only fester over time.  I can understand locking things away after having shared with the wrong people, but eventually that needs to be seen for what it is.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31091 on: June 09, 2011, 07:26:47 pm »

@Vector
Hm... how odd is it that my first instinct was to offer to PM you my phone number in case talking with a voice would help? This was immediately quashed by the realization that this is actually a really weird offer to make over the internet at essentially random, and further that (IIRC) you communicate more effectively and are more comfortable with text anyway, so in practice it'd be, "This is an awkward silence that costs money."

In terms of thoughts that actually make sense, though, I hope you're able to overcome the depression thing soon. Feeling compelled to hide who you are is just... not pleasant. I doubt I've experienced it to the extent you are, so this isn't probably actually the most helpful thing to hear, but all I've been able to do in those situations is exaggerate silliness and be sure to include a lot of self-deprecating jokes as a way of getting other people to relax, until I feel comfortable enough around them (and think they're comfortable enough around me) to try to actually talk, but that doesn't often happen. Doubt that helps you, though, so I suppose more important is the sympathy I am attempting to convey. Good luck.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31092 on: June 09, 2011, 07:46:29 pm »

Hide who you are?  I think I do that to everybody around me but I'm not strong enough to change that situation at all.  I'm sure most people don't really know know me and it's all my fault.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31093 on: June 09, 2011, 08:25:36 pm »

It could be that people sense your tension, or are daunted by your energy.  Not in the sense that you're hyper, but that you try so hard at everything you do, which most people can't or wont.  I had people comment on these things about me when I was younger, and I spent years practicing the appearance of being relaxed around people, which seems to have resulted in being more approachable.  I still get jittery (eye twitches and shakiness) when trying really hard to be sincere or engaging in conversation or social activities that are new to me.

Yeah, I've been told that I come off as overwhelmingly enthusiastic, energetic, and engaged.  I wasn't this way when I was younger, usually preferring to just be quiet and neither talk nor make a facial expression.  It's not even that I'm trying that hard most of the time, or that I'm very loud.  I speak more quietly than most students.  I do laugh more than most people, though... a heck of a lot more.

But, as my Russian professor said, my "lazily not trying" is more effort than most people are capable of expending at all.

The thing is that most of my persona is built up out of things that I'd like to see in other people.  Passion, enthusiasm, easy laughter.  I'd hope it wouldn't be overwhelming.  I find that I'm drawn to energy.  Exhausted by it?  Occasionally.  But mostly, I enjoy it.

I just sort of wish that other people enjoyed it, too.  I get so tired of trying to suppress things.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why?  Those are exactly the types of problems that should be discussed with people who are expressly willing, and at an appropriate stage.  They're very hard to resolve alone, and only fester over time.  I can understand locking things away after having shared with the wrong people, but eventually that needs to be seen for what it is.

Mostly because I don't have anyone to discuss them with.

Told my "best friend" I had Asperger's around when I figured out (I self-diagnosed before being actually diagnosed, though in both cases of professional diagnosis it was pretty much immediate =/); she went on a long diatribe about how much I disgusted her.  I'm pretty sure that, despite deciding that she also has it, she still refuses to call it anything but "are" ("that thing far away from both of us," in Japanese).  Of course, that's better than what she used to call it--"sore" ("that thing close to you, but not to me.").

After similar experiences with my parents and, ultimately, my boyfriend, I've become a bit uncertain about sharing.  It was... very hard for me to be open about it, even here, but I found that I kept on having little outbursts where I would expose myself more and more, so that finally I just laid it out there.

That helped a lot in terms of stabilization, but now I'm kind of coasting along at "a little bit below okay, with dips into very not okay."

*sigh*

I'm... sure I'll get over it someday.  At the very least, these forums help me a lot.  Even if my mother keeps on telling me I need to spend less time on the internet.

@Vector
Hm... how odd is it that my first instinct was to offer to PM you my phone number in case talking with a voice would help? This was immediately quashed by the realization that this is actually a really weird offer to make over the internet at essentially random, and further that (IIRC) you communicate more effectively and are more comfortable with text anyway, so in practice it'd be, "This is an awkward silence that costs money."

It's kind of you and I'm doing better with voice than I had been, but... you're right that it is kind of strange.  In any case, I really appreciate the proto-offer =)

Doubt that helps you, though, so I suppose more important is the sympathy I am attempting to convey. Good luck.

Well, you're right in that it is something I already do.  I guess I'll just air a bit more laundry, though, because it's helping a bit.

The thing is that I seem to be able to gain people's respect, admiration, and friendliness very easily.  I think that the people in my class generally like me well enough.  They seem comfortable with me.  Same has gone with my courses last semester, too.

But there's something that doesn't quite work.

I know that someone once explained that it was me effectively taking the alpha role in social situations--not by force, but by automatic protocol--while failing to fulfill the alpha role correctly.  I kind of doubt that.  The person in question was a sort of supremacist.  He put me on a pedestal then and ripped me off of it later.

But I don't know what it is, really.  Maybe it's a barrier created by my "strangeness."  All the same, though, it seems that other people manage to be strange and socially accepted.  Probably 9 people in the class identified as "verruckt," i.e. zany/crazy.

I guess they just meant "not quite that crazy."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31094 on: June 09, 2011, 09:07:01 pm »

Just as an experiment, I decided to crank up the treble on my amp, like I do the bass.
Fuck my head.
Blarg.
Not doing that again.
Pages: 1 ... 2071 2072 [2073] 2074 2075 ... 8167