Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2030 2031 [2032] 2033 2034 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472633 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30465 on: May 24, 2011, 06:37:52 pm »

I checked my BMI, and it's 15.4 . I feel pretty shitty about that, and it's the fourth percentile for weight.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #30466 on: May 24, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »

Another professor refused to write me a letter of recommendation.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30467 on: May 24, 2011, 06:57:18 pm »

How much time do you have before graduation? My experience is that it generally takes, at minimum, a solid semester of making a good impression to get a letter worth getting. If you can do something for the professor beyond class, such as be a Teaching Assistant or work for them (comes with the bonus of getting paid), that helps massively. This may well not be practical though, but in any case, remember, you cannot kiss too much ass, but you CAN be too obvious about it, so watch that. Protip: make a self-deprecating joke about being too flattering if you feel you've overdone it. You've probably heard all this, before, though, so I apologize if I'm not very helpful.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30468 on: May 24, 2011, 06:58:33 pm »

I checked my BMI, and it's 15.4 . I feel pretty shitty about that, and it's the fourth percentile for weight.
That is.. not good. You need to go on the cookie diet I think
*Hugs*

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30469 on: May 24, 2011, 07:00:37 pm »

Speaking of people hovering, every single day my dad comes to visit.  Every single day he sits around in my room, and three or four times a day he asks "What would you do if you looked over here and I was floating?"

Why?  Why does he do this?
There are three possibilities.

1. The aforementioned possibility of him being a ghost.
2. Your father is secretly a wizard.
3. He's drunk/crazy. This is CLEARLY not the most likely possibility given the other two. He must be a wizard.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30470 on: May 24, 2011, 07:01:51 pm »

I know, but I'd rather gain weight in a healthy way with more muscle than fat gain. I'm getting a membership at the YMCA and I guess I'll do alps at the pool, work the treadmill, and...gag, lift weights.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30471 on: May 24, 2011, 07:02:29 pm »

That made me check mine..
I wish I hadn't now ><
*Hugs*

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30472 on: May 24, 2011, 07:06:33 pm »

I think under is better than over. Considering your age though, you should probably use a teen one instead of an adult one (we started with an adult one, until a girl pointed out that a teen one is actually accurate).

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30473 on: May 24, 2011, 07:09:41 pm »

Same as with the adult one. And apparently below the first percentile for weight
*Hugs*

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30474 on: May 24, 2011, 07:14:24 pm »

Ouch.We could do a workout regimen together!!!11

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30475 on: May 24, 2011, 07:21:01 pm »

Speaking of people hovering, every single day my dad comes to visit.  Every single day he sits around in my room, and three or four times a day he asks "What would you do if you looked over here and I was floating?"

My response:  "I don't know.  If you demonstrate this capability, we can both find out."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30476 on: May 24, 2011, 07:23:37 pm »

My response:  "I don't know.  If you demonstrate this capability, we can both find out."

"I don't know, you keep sinking back down before I look!"

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #30477 on: May 24, 2011, 07:30:05 pm »

How much time do you have before graduation? My experience is that it generally takes, at minimum, a solid semester of making a good impression to get a letter worth getting. If you can do something for the professor beyond class, such as be a Teaching Assistant or work for them (comes with the bonus of getting paid), that helps massively. This may well not be practical though, but in any case, remember, you cannot kiss too much ass, but you CAN be too obvious about it, so watch that. Protip: make a self-deprecating joke about being too flattering if you feel you've overdone it. You've probably heard all this, before, though, so I apologize if I'm not very helpful.

I aleady graduated...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #30478 on: May 24, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »

So I was going back from class and holy shit Kings Island exploded.  There was a huge plume of black smoke coming from the back of the park and by the time it sunk in there were like a thousand ambulances and fire engines on the way.
Shoes...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #30479 on: May 24, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »

So no livestream as I promised I would do tomorrow; apparently my job had different plans and I'll be working one last week/morning-late afternoon.

Sorry anyone who was going to stop by. Maybe next time. I could make up for it Thursday or Friday if I'm up to it.
Pages: 1 ... 2030 2031 [2032] 2033 2034 ... 8167