Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2016 2017 [2018] 2019 2020 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476669 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30255 on: May 19, 2011, 07:37:24 pm »

IIRC testicular cancer is very sensitive to radiotherapy. Even when it spreads the survival rates are fairly good.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #30256 on: May 19, 2011, 08:07:49 pm »

thanks. i really know nothing about testicular cancer, but the fact that i don't slightly reassured me, i mean, it shouldn't be as bad as the ones everybody talks about right?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30257 on: May 19, 2011, 08:19:56 pm »

It's the one with the best survival rates, AFAIK
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30258 on: May 19, 2011, 09:06:01 pm »

IIRC testicular cancer is very sensitive to radiotherapy. Even when it spreads the survival rates are fairly good.
Although telling a guy you're going to shoot radiation into his ballsack isn't very encouraging.

Probably better than cancer though. Just a little.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30259 on: May 19, 2011, 09:14:05 pm »

Dosen't radiation burn?

I do not want to imagine the pain of concentrated radiation shot into my balls.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30260 on: May 19, 2011, 09:16:07 pm »

Dosen't radiation burn?

I do not want to imagine the pain of concentrated radiation shot into my balls.

Continuous high doses of radiation shot into a concentrated spot will burn, if 1000 ways to die is to be believed, but the doses that doctors give don't hurt at all AFAIK.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30261 on: May 19, 2011, 09:30:02 pm »

RT is painless, and nowadays the dose is fractioned, and used very precisedly, to minimize the damage to surrounding tissues
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:32:27 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30262 on: May 19, 2011, 10:00:54 pm »

Things that made me sad today: slept 4 hours and then my body said "fuck you, noobro, you don't get to sleep."

I would totally support this.  I honestly believe that video games are the next step in the evolution of storytelling, and that storytelling, culture, and society are all tightly interwoven.  One of my highest goals in life is to prove the validity and potential of games as a storytelling medium equal to film and literature, and to cultivate that potential as a positive force.  Remember that rant we shared about Disney's social engineering and the effects on our culture?  I want to do the opposite of that.

Well honestly, at this rate I'll probably end up publishing quite a few papers on video games and cartooning, since those are two areas that I know... rather a lot about >_> <_<  I don't think that video games are the next step in evolution, at least as far as we usually use that term (superiority).  They're certainly a form of storytelling, however, which must be explored--and as interactive, imaginative storytelling there are all kinds of things to be explored.

And yeah, I'm definitely going to be exploring positive vs. negative storytelling.  I don't think all violent and sexual video games are bad, but I do think there is something to be examined in the way that such games are narrated and formulated.

Anyway, time to ask my professor for papers/books on a. homosocial desire and b. sex and violence written as inseparable constructs.  I suspect that the latter is going to be a very, very fruitful zone of research.

(Of course, I also promised myself that I would do a thorough two or three readthroughs of the Hunchback of Notre Dame this summer, as well as a thorough study of the history of art and the basic principles of architecture, so who knows how much time I will have =/)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30263 on: May 19, 2011, 10:12:59 pm »

Videogames are the next evolution of storytelling in the sense that movies were the next step after books. It's another medium with which to use. It's not necessarily better due to years of experience with what works with the previous medium and there are some things books can convey that movies cannot. Gaming is also still in its early adaptation days, and while there have been a lot of gems out there a lot of room is still left for exploration and experimentation. I wouldn't worry too much about violent mainstream games and their effect on progress. Trashy romance novels are still around, but they are not a problem to 'serious' works available.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30264 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »

Ah, no, I don't mean that at all.  I meant more in terms of how violence seems to be explored more as a mainstream phenomenon through video phenomena, which is interesting to me.  No worries about progress, just... curiosity :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #30265 on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:24 pm »

I think it's just a phase of interest, much like the era of slasher movies for film.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30266 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:33 pm »

I think it's just a phase of interest, much like the era of slasher movies for film.

This is a good point.  I'll keep it in mind.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #30267 on: May 19, 2011, 11:10:20 pm »

He's pulling your leg. "Hydroxil acid" is a spin on the dihydrogen monoxide joke

My preferred version is "Hydrogen Hydroxide", which i think is actually closer to correct nomenclature anyway.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30268 on: May 19, 2011, 11:16:50 pm »

Interactivity implies direct cognitive involvement, which increases potential emotional and intellectual impact.

I think literature has the same thing.  It requires more active involvement by the reader than watching a film, because it takes willing participation to interpret words into mental images and comprehension, where in a popcorn flick a person can just sit back and vegetate passively while bombarded with sounds and images.

But video games combine the two and more.  Modern video games, especially, almost always make use of every major art form (music, literature, sculpture, painting, film, architecture, etc), which makes for the potential to combine the strengths of every one without sacrificing the weaknesses each has individually.

But that's just my opinion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30269 on: May 19, 2011, 11:26:06 pm »

I don't think that's true. A movie can also demand involvement, and a book -or text- can be read casually without getting involved as well.
Pages: 1 ... 2016 2017 [2018] 2019 2020 ... 8167