Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2015 2016 [2017] 2018 2019 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9477258 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30240 on: May 19, 2011, 04:18:29 pm »

Playing a kobold adventurer is hard as hell.

I got torn apart:

1) by a sturgeon
2) by boogeymen directly outside of a house (are humans deaf???????)
3) by boogeymen nowhere near where I was supposed to be
4) by bandits because god knows the kobold has something really fucking valuable. Like a -Bronze bolt [5]- or a Xxpig tail fiber sockxX
The goal to being a successful kobold adventurer is to have a high dodge, agility and willpower. Only battle if you must or if you think you can handle it.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30241 on: May 19, 2011, 04:42:09 pm »

Woke up at 4PM today feeling like shit, just as I have the past three days ever since I got tricked into staying awake until 9AM on Monday.  It is impossible for me to cycle myself back to my "proper" sleeping schedule (5-6AM to Noon-1PM) in the course of a workweek.  Well the workweek's almost over now.  Again.

All of my joints feel like shit and I need to take a shower.  My day is starting as the sun's going down.  I've been whinging and moping about rewriting my resume and composing new cover letters, after I finally got a notice of some kind on an application, but of course it was a denial.  I've got responsibilities and writing that I owe to people, let alone myself.  And I managed to blow most of my free time this week on Terraria and LP's.

I don't want to be the grungy, underemployed, nocturnal, shiftless nerd shutin stereotype, but I'm understanding just how easy it is to fall into such.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30242 on: May 19, 2011, 04:56:54 pm »

I don't want to be the grungy, underemployed, nocturnal, shiftless nerd shutin stereotype, but I'm understanding just how easy it is to fall into such.

Only a bad thing if taken to extremes.  Traditional success, sleeping schedules, and even hygiene (seriously most people's hygiene standards are excessive and unhealthy) are highly overrated and there's no intrinsic value which makes them better than what you describe.  If you're doing things that aren't working for you, that's one thing, but don't worry about it because there's a stereotype.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30243 on: May 19, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »

Commenting on a couple recent topics in this thread because I'm at work again today and have done some catching up.

On Water:  There's more to it than just staying hydrated.  Yeah, you can drink a bit only when thirsty and be just fine.  You don't need 8 cups of water a day to survive.  However, that extra intake helps to keep your body cleaner, because it uses those fluids to flush out waste and toxins, which is very beneficial to your health.

Great Rule of Thumb:  If your urine is yellow, you aren't drinking enough water.  Drink more until it's clear.  You will lose weight and function better.

On the other hand, if I do end up becoming a professor of rhetoric (instead of mathematics), I intend to do a serious look at the stories told by video games and the effects of their interactivity.  For sure.  So it'd be helping my career... right?

I would totally support this.  I honestly believe that video games are the next step in the evolution of storytelling, and that storytelling, culture, and society are all tightly interwoven.  One of my highest goals in life is to prove the validity and potential of games as a storytelling medium equal to film and literature, and to cultivate that potential as a positive force.  Remember that rant we shared about Disney's social engineering and the effects on our culture?  I want to do the opposite of that.

Euld:  That sounds like a very frightening situation to be in.  I'm know you've mentioned this before, but have their been attempts to get him professional help and how did they go?

Edit:  Sorry for absent-minded double-post.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30244 on: May 19, 2011, 05:35:12 pm »

I'm feeling totally wasted after my last exam.

I *think* it went well, though, so I'm happy. Worried, because I'm never 100% sure, but happy.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30245 on: May 19, 2011, 06:02:32 pm »

On Water:  There's more to it than just staying hydrated.  Yeah, you can drink a bit only when thirsty and be just fine.  You don't need 8 cups of water a day to survive.  However, that extra intake helps to keep your body cleaner, because it uses those fluids to flush out waste and toxins, which is very beneficial to your health.

Great Rule of Thumb:  If your urine is yellow, you aren't drinking enough water.  Drink more until it's clear.  You will lose weight and function better.
I'd agree that urine colour is a good indicator, but I think going for clear is going rather too far.  You can end up just losing what your body's trying to keep without any real change in "toxins", as well as risking just making yourself sick.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30246 on: May 19, 2011, 06:09:02 pm »

Drinking more water won't purify your body of toxins. Within reasonable limits and barring particular situations which might make it unadvisable, there should be no harm done, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #30247 on: May 19, 2011, 06:30:51 pm »

just be wary of hydroxyl acid which is often present in large quantities in tap water and other sources of "potable" water

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30248 on: May 19, 2011, 06:35:26 pm »

Drinking more water won't purify your body of toxins.

Not purify, no, but it goes a long way towards keeping you basically clean.

Just found a calculator for your recommended daily water intake.  Was happy to note that on average I drink exactly my recommended amount, according to this thing (90 oz/day).  I keep a container of water with me at all times and gradually sip away at it throughout the day.  My urine is almost always clear.

just be wary of hydroxyl acid which is often present in large quantities in tap water and other sources of "potable" water

I rent a water cooler from Ice Mountain (the only bottled water company that uses reverse osmosis filtering, last I checked, and it's fairly cheap) and refill every time I leave the house.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30249 on: May 19, 2011, 06:36:49 pm »

He's pulling your leg. "Hydroxil acid" is a spin on the dihydrogen monoxide joke

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30250 on: May 19, 2011, 06:48:20 pm »

He's pulling your leg. "Hydroxil acid" is a spin on the dihydrogen monoxide joke

Yeah, I had no idea what hydroxil acid was.  It's quite a bit less obvious than dihydrogen monoxide, which I understood the first time I encountered the hoax, and upon looking it up it doesn't even follow correct naming convention...

But still, I do it because there are things in tap water I choose to avoid.  I can't even tolerate tap anymore since I got used to clean water.  Yeah, I know Penn & Teller would make fun of me.  I don't care.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30251 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »

Unless you're drinking deionized water or something (not especially good for you), I don't really see why it'd be more "clean" than tap water...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #30252 on: May 19, 2011, 06:54:57 pm »

jokes aside, i'm feeling really down. i''ve been jobless for a couple of months now and the day before yesterday one of my oldest and dearest friends who i hadn't seen in months called me telling me he has a tumor in a testicle. he'll probably have to remove it so we made a few good jokes about manly prosthetics(he decided on a flaming bat skull), but he's still waiting on the results of his exams and shit might become serious... i've already lost a friend to leukemia a few years ago, and have a bit of a phobia of cancers and shit, this doesnt work well with my attempts to fix my sleeping schedule and i end up spending hours turning around in bed thinking of terrible things, and spend my awake hours smoking, eating and spending money to get depressive thoughts off of my head

Yeah, I had no idea what hydroxil acid was.  It's quite a bit less obvious than dihydrogen monoxide, which I understood the first time I encountered the hoax, and upon looking it up it doesn't even follow correct naming convention...

But still, I do it because there are things in tap water I choose to avoid.  I can't even tolerate tap anymore since I got used to clean water.  Yeah, I know Penn & Teller would make fun of me.  I don't care.
my experience with tap water has been varied, in my hometown it's pretty good and tastes good, while the water in the city i'm living has a strong taste of bleach

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30253 on: May 19, 2011, 07:18:38 pm »

Big-city water tends to taste worse, for some reason.

jokes aside, i'm feeling really down. i''ve been jobless for a couple of months now and the day before yesterday one of my oldest and dearest friends who i hadn't seen in months called me telling me he has a tumor in a testicle. he'll probably have to remove it so we made a few good jokes about manly prosthetics(he decided on a flaming bat skull), but he's still waiting on the results of his exams and shit might become serious... i've already lost a friend to leukemia a few years ago, and have a bit of a phobia of cancers and shit, this doesnt work well with my attempts to fix my sleeping schedule and i end up spending hours turning around in bed thinking of terrible things, and spend my awake hours smoking, eating and spending money to get depressive thoughts off of my head

If it's any consolation, it could have been much, much worse than testicular cancer. It usually won't be that serious unless it spreads somehow, and since it's a relatively minor part of your body (not to mention the fact that they come in pairs) the easiest way is probably to remove it. He'll be fine.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30254 on: May 19, 2011, 07:27:16 pm »

I'm mainly concerned with avoiding fluoride.  I know this makes me a crazy tinfoil hat to most people.  Don't want to hear it.

There are worse ways to lose a testicle.  I knew a guy who lost one when he ripped open his scrotum on a fence post in a freak bicycle wreck.  Still, I hope it doesn't spread and get serious.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 2015 2016 [2017] 2018 2019 ... 8167